Final destination arrival 3 hrs late

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I booked a two leg flight directly with Alitalia in December, due to fly out at the beginning of August.

12 hours before the flight I got an email asking to check in but the flight had been changed to afternoon instead of early morning.

I called customer service and they said that they notified me via email in February about the change but i never received this email.

After a very long argument and going through to 3 operators eventually they booked me on a flight which was getting me to final destination at 15:30 instead of the original 14:35.

All good, I accepted.

We got to rome on time but then the crew of their connecting flight was one hour late.

We finally boarded at 15:30 so an hour delay at this point.

Then a plane in front of us aborted take off and we waited on the runway a further hour.

We landed at our final destination around 17:40.

Question for the experts:

As my original booking stated arrival time 14:35 but effectively we arrived at 17:40, am I entitled to compensation under eu regulations?

Bear in mind about the double screw up, changed ticket of which I never received confirmation and late crew.

This last point was then aggravated by the aborted take off which they will surely claim is beyond their control.

My view is that if the crew wasn't late we would have been in the air by the time they blocked the runway.

What do you think?

These ate the details:

Original ticket: Schefuled Arrival time 14:35

Amended ticket (after argument) scheduled arrival time: 15:30

Estimated arrival time after crew lateness 16:30

Actual arrival time after runway waiting 17:40

I'm afraid not.

The Regulation governing compensation payments says that if you are informed more than 14 days out of the date of the flight about the change then you are not entitled to compensation. You could argue that you were not informed, but it would be hard to prove that you didn't receive an email.

Even if you were able to establish you had not been informed (or at least show on the balance of probabilities you were not) then you would struggle to make a claim for compensation. The first hour delay is likely to be caused by non-extraordinary factors (it's an operational failure not to have a crew for a new flight) but the second hour will have been caused by Air Traffic Control restrictions following the aborted take-off. This is classed as "extraordinary" and would exempt the airline paying compensation.

Sorry but definitely no claim.

I'm afraid not.

The Regulation governing compensation payments says that if you are informed more than 14 days out of the date of the flight about the change then you are not entitled to compensation. You could argue that you were not informed, but it would be hard to prove that you didn't receive an email.

Even if you were able to establish you had not been informed (or at least show on the balance of probabilities you were not) then you would struggle to make a claim for compensation. The first hour delay is likely to be caused by non-extraordinary factors (it's an operational failure not to have a crew for a new flight) but the second hour will have been caused by Air Traffic Control restrictions following the aborted take-off. This is classed as "extraordinary" and would exempt the airline paying compensation.

Sorry but definitely no claim.

Thanks for your input.

Shame I can't claim.

After I found out they'd changed my flight without telling me I spent 3 hours of panic on the phone trying to get to destination on time for a ferry.

That really wasn't the best start of the holiday.

Then the delay, destroyed pram and excess baggage all added up to the frustration.

Never mind, as long as we got here safe.

Thanks again.