Ebay sellers charging for reclaiming

cariad mo brwydrwr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following on from the thread in the old ebay forum, I was so disgusted to see that there are many people charging for information about reclaiming charges. In a fit of rage I contacted a few of them to ask them why they are charging people for something they can do themselves for free, effectively profiting from others misfortune. One simply replied with 'Get Real', another had this to say:

They are actualy illegal. I have already sued my bank. So get your facts right before questioning me please. Im charging because Ebay is a good way to let people know that they can reclaim them back as many people are not aware of this, obviously like yourself.

This is after I pointed out to him that the charges are 'unlawful' and not 'illegal' as he describes in his advert.

I am so cross about this, I can't believe people are charging for things like step by step guides and templates. One even advertised that for buying one single letter people could get all their charges back.

Is there any way that these people an be reported? Maybe if more people complained direct to the sellers they would stop doing it?

~

:p I'm a lover, not a fighter... well, most of the time :razz: ~

Guest ian cognito

It's e-bay that wants hanging for allowing this to go on, anybody willing can add their own e-bay item showing BIN price of 1p and a pointer to this site in the description, costs you a few pence but Hey - its worth it isn't it?

I understand your disgust, however if I see something on eBay that offers information, I google it and find it out myself without buying it. There is nothing wrong with selling information that is in the public domain, it is the buyers stupid fault really.

I actually think it is a good idea, for a couple of reasons, these sellers are helping spreading the word, we are afterall, all after the same goal, getting our money back. There are companies or websites offering this service for 30% of what the person gets back. That's a rip off I hear you say, but people are busy this takes time and it relieves them of their time. I wouldn't give up 30%, but I can see why people would want to do this.

What you could do if you were really that annoyed at what they are doing is to buy the product, usually it's only a nominal fee and when the time comes for feedback, write the link to this site or something. That really ****es people off. Expect a bit of retaliation though

Or set up an auction, but just link this site. It spreads the word.

On closing I wonder if you are frustrated at this because you didn't think of it first.

I am annoyed because sellers are taking advantage of "stupid buyers" by selling them free information. Maybe not everyone is as clued up as you are about finding out information for themselves for free. And whether they are getting this information for 99p or 30% of the 'win', either way it is a rip off. If they really wanted to spread the word they would do as Janquinny suggested and give the information for free. Sellers and companies like this are merely in it for personal profit and no more. Granted it may spread the word, but it is for their own purposes not simply to help others.

I am definitely not going to buy their 'product', spend my hard earned money only to get a negative feedback in return for causing a fuss, even if it is a small amount.

And I am certainly not annoyed because I didn't think of it first. There is no way I would go on Ebay to sell this information for personal gain, that is just sick and would make me no better than the banks. I am doing all I can to spread the word of this site to make sure that people can get their money back as I did. I couldn't have done it without the help and support from CAG. I am sure that what these Ebay sellers are offering does not offer the support that you get on here. A few template letters cannot begin to compare. Once the "stupid buyers" have bought the 'product' I'm pretty sure the seller will not be on hand 24/7 to offer further support, advice and friendship. Maybe you could live with yourself by making a profit from others misfortune - I know I couldn't.

On closing I am frustrated because the majority of society seems to be out to make a profit for themselves under the guise of 'helping others' but realistically couldn't give a sh*t about anyone else. These sellers on Ebay are just another example of this and are no better than the banks/credit card/store card companies that took our money in the first place. Thank God for sites like CAG that give a glimmer of hope that not all of society is going to hell in a handcart.

~

Hear Hear, Well said

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

There is nothing wrong with selling information that is in the public domain,

Public domain, my backside. Most of the sellers on e-bay sell either a link to this forum or penaltycharges' one, or they sell the COPYRIGHTED templates from this forum. Either way, they are selling somethign for which they have not put one bit of work and profiteering from other peoples' effort (and financial input). The word "leeches" spring to mind. :mad:

Public domain, my backside. Most of the sellers on e-bay sell either a link to this forum or penaltycharges' one, or they sell the COPYRIGHTED templates from this forum. Either way, they are selling somethign for which they have not put one bit of work and profiteering from other peoples' effort (and financial input). The word "leeches" spring to mind. :mad:

Apologies, I misled you with my text, when I said 'there is nothing wrong' I referring to it being legal. With regards to it being moral, well it's down to interpretation

And to Lucyec - I appreciate your words and you give a good account to your argument.

I am in total agreement when you say that the eBay seller would not offer support as you get on here - which is why I pointed out it would be more trouble than it's worth, as an aside the CAG forum have helped me all the way and when I am succesful I will be handing over at least 5% for the assistance I have received.

Whilst I don't totally agree with these people are doing, if they are supplying information that is on the public domain then they are doing nothing legally wrong. Unfortunately eBay will never be able to crack down on everything.

My point is that whilst this is morally dubious it is still going towards our main goal and that is kicking the banks ass's

Guest ian cognito

E-bay aren't interested on cracking down on anything as long as they get the money! I have a little trick that works pretty well on sellers like this - can't put it in print tho!

Someone suggested on the old thread leaving the link in the sellers feedback. Has anyone doen that do we know?

Top eBayer! www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk is excellent! A*****

:D

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

Hi Guys!

This disgraceful practice can be stopped, if the Administrators sign up, become members of the ebay VeRO programme (Verified Rights Owner) and once this is done, then the relevant ebay listings can be reported to ebay who will then remove them.

Please see the following:-

Programme

VeRo Members

Electronics

Software

Apparel

Miscellaneous

Choose a Topic

Introduction

About VeRO

Notice of infringement

Some VeRO participants

If you are not a rights owner

Information for eBay users

Helpful Links

eBay Explained

Safety Centre

Rules & Policies

Contact Customer Support

Register for eBay

Helping to protect Intellectual Property

At eBay, our mission is to provide a global online marketplace where practically anyone can trade practically anything, enabling economic opportunity around the world.

While eBay has created a unique online trading platform, it is our community of users who build this very dynamic and robust trading environment. This community of users is guided by five fundamental values when buying or selling on eBay.

As part of our mission, we are committed to help protecting the intellectual property rights of rights owners and to providing our users with a safe and enjoyable place to trade.

For this reason, eBay has created the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Programme so rights owners can report listings that infringe their rights. Any person or company who holds intellectual property rights (such as a copyright, trademark or patent) which may be infringed by listings or items sold on eBay is encouraged to participate in the VeRO Programme.

In addition, we believe that by providing information and guidelines to our community of users, everyone can contribute to help building a safe and reliable marketplace where people can find success.

About VeRO

More information about our VeRO Programme for rights owners.

Notice of infringement

If you are a rights owner or an authorized representative of a rights owner, you can easily report infringing listings.

List of some VeRO participants

Many VeRO participants provide their own information on eBay to educate and communicate directly with eBay users.

If you are not a rights owner

If you are not a rights owner, find out how you can help.

Information for eBay users

Resources to help you have a safe trading experience on eBay.

Love AC

Apologies, I misled you with my text, when I said 'there is nothing wrong' I referring to it being legal. With regards to it being moral, well it's down to interpretation

That was my original point - I never questioned the legalities of it (although I'm sure they are dubious), but as far as I'm concerned this practice is morally reprehensible. These sellers are playing on peoples' misfortune and lack of knowledge.

which is why I pointed out it would be more trouble than it's worth,

Where did you say that? You said you thought it was a good idea!

But looking at the ads I would imagine they are after the feedback as it costs more to advertise than what they are selling it for.

They are charging anything from 99p to £5, and as most don't require pictures the listing costs are minimal. They may only be making 50p profit in some cases, but I still think its wrong.

Someone suggested on the old thread leaving the link in the sellers feedback. Has anyone doen that do we know?

To do that you'd have to buy the product in the first place, which would mean giving money to these morally-deficient sellers.

Yes you could do that and not bother to pay since its not theirs to sell anyway

If you didn't pay you would end up with a Non Paying Bidder dispute and a negative feeback I would imagine. You could create more problems than you're solving, in the worst case having your account closed.

AC, like Bookworm said its hard to know whether these sellers are using the CAG copyrighted letters without actually buying the product, which still means putting money in their pockets.

~

With risk of getting flamed, I'd agree with the "Get Real" phrase.

Money makes the world go around, and if people are too lazy to search the Internet for information and are willing to pay for the info, then let them.

I used to sell links to websites so people could listen in to emergency radio scanners, the information is easily obtainable - on the first page of Google results, but people would be paying me £1.99 for 5 different links.

They knew what they were getting and they were happy with it.

Capital One - Charges

PAID OUT IN FULL WITH 8% INT

HSBC - Charges

PAID OUT IN FULL WITH 8% INT

Unfair Dismissal

PAID OUT FULL COMPENSATION

NCP PAD Parking 'Fine'

FULLY CANCELLED

Yes, unfortunately money makes the world go round and agreed, it is easy to make a profit out of people's laziness/stupidity. I suppose this is more of a moral issue in that personally I don't think its right to exploit others laziness/stupidity in a bit to make money. I feel the minority are fighting a losing battle against the majority who think it is.

~

Have you checked eBay recently. The most expensive currently is £2, thats for one auction, the rest are 1p auctions.

Have you?

The most expensive are £4.99 actually. The rest are 99p, £1.50, £2.50, £4.00.

The issue is a moral one, whether the sellers are making a profit of 10p or £100 I still think its wrong.

that'll be us then

Good on ya! :)

~