• Tweets

• no need to use it. it doubles the size of the thread and makes it very diff to find replies on small screens too. just like @username it - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread already inc you ...gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.
    • Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Comment on legal advice given please

baur
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Currently on 3 points, due to expire in 2 months.

Recently received a failure to provide letter with copy of NIP and reminder, both of which not received previously.

Alleged speeding offence 37 in a 30 offence took place in April when I had 6 points.

FTP offence carries a 6 point tariff. I appear to be facing a ban.

Taken legal advice, as follows :

Plead NOT guilty to FTP, get a court date,

then try and negotiate to have speeding re-instated and FTP dropped.

If unsuccessful go to court and argue NIP not received and get acquitted.

Make case I am fully aware of how system works, if NIP received I would have taken the 3 points and sat on 9 points for a matter of weeks before dropping down to 6 and then 3 in 10 months.

Your comments would be very welcome.

Baur.

Then under toting up you would not lose your license under the new driver rules. Were you not given the option to take a drivers awareness course at the time? How was the ticket issued? Post or in hand?

The FTP can be argued at Court. If you choose to go to Court then the penalties could be higher. You may also argue that the loss of your license could cause issues.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I understand that the FTP point tariff is 6.

At the time of the alleged offence I had 6 points on my licence, so 12 = ban.

What are the new driver rules you mention ?

I did not receive the NIP in post so did not reply and was therefore not offered SA course.

In any case I did one 18 months ago so cannot take another one for a while.

I am hoping the speed offence will be reinstated and the FTP will be dropped ,

in that case my situation will be 6 ( at time of offence ) + 3 = 9, which I would be every happy with.

thanks

thanks, just checked. It corresponds with physical licence.

Currently 3 points. Back in April it was 6.

thanks for taking an interest.

Baur

The new driver rules apply anyone that has a new license. As you have help yours for 27 years this is of no concern. What may be worrying is why they have taken this amount of time.

(You really should check the live version of your driver records as this is more up to date than the physical one, hence the link. This is new for new readers/drivers)

Do you know of any reason you did not receive the notices in the post? As 6 months have nearly passed so wandering why the delay?

BTW have a read here as it shows you sometimes can have more than the 12 points on a license http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-driver-22-points-escapes-ban-alongside-45/story-28137117-detail/story.html

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

No idea why NIP and reminder not received, address correct. Rogue postman for all I know.

I don't think there's anything suspicious here. If NIP is not acted upon within 6 month time period the speeding offence cannot be dealt with and a FTP charge is brought.

Legal advice is that we negotiate with police/court, in advance of the court date for FTP, to have the speeding offence reinstated and the FTP dropped.

If unsuccessful, it's a day in court and attempt to argue either for acquittal based on non-receipt of NIP or argue exceptional circumstances to avoid a ban when on 12 points. As managed by others mentioned in press.

Checked live version, it corresponds with my physical licence.

thanks again.

Attending Court may be the best option and you may want to approach the Prosecutor before the case starts to let them know in advance as to your intentions. Then if you can have at least 3 copies of your reasons for not being banned/non receipt argument. Give him one the Bench one and one for you to refer to. The Prosecutor then may offer no evidence to that charge and therefore saving an automatic ban....

If you are not being represented then maybe doing the above may allow a different outcome. Either way good luck with your case and if you get a good result please update your thread so we can see this. It may also help other new posters in the future if successful....

But a word of warning if you attend Court the financial penalty could increase. There maybe costs awarded against you as well as a fine and victim surcharge. If you can take some money with you in case of a financial penalty, then this can be paid in straight away. You should also be given an MC100 form. This is a financial means form, letting the Court know what you can afford to pay by ways of a financial penalty. This should then be completed as fully as possible and then handed back to the Usher of the Court. Remember to take both parts of your license with you to Court and surrender them if required to do so.

If you are given more points your license MUST be handed in, failure to do so could see you in more trouble.

You can also pay a fine online if you get one please do not forget to pay your fines because this will cost you a lot more in the long run....

thanks for comments. If day in court is inevitable I will have representation and will no doubt be prepared for all eventualities.

I would like to hear if anyone has had success in pleading not guilty due to non-receipt of NIP, and / or having the speeding fine re-instated over the FTP.

Will certainly keep the post updated.

Still reeling from being just a few weeks from having zero points and now finding myself facing a ban.

Baur

Personally, I wouldn't take a solicitor, as you aren't there for a fight.

Explain to the Magistrates how you genuinely didn't receive any documentation about the offence. Use the fact that you have had 2 previous offences and dealt with them promptly to show that you don't routinely ignore things. This latest offence would have only taken you to 9 points so you would have been safe from a totting-up ban, so why would you ignore it and risk even more points and a ban ?

I hear your point re-solicitor but on balance I'd rather have legal expert in my corner.

And yes, that's the plan with regard to making my case. Acutely aware of the totting up procedure and would not ignore such matters.

Baur