• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What is a vulnerable person/group?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if it may be useful to break it down slightly as well?

i.e.

1. What process does an EA have to take if informed of vulnerable person/Group?

2. What action does a Debtor have to take to prove to an EA that they are a vulnerable person/group?

That would be most useful to focus in what steps are needed to prove vulnerability, and what the EA should do if confronted by it.

I am fed up with tit for tat posts., so I went a little Postal and upset Grumpy..

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to break it down this way as in a Question with the answer and possibly at the end of the discussion having a useful guide that would assist others

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Steps.

Continue as no proof has been seen and claim is not believed for various reasons.

Stop and give x days for debtor to provide proof.

Stop and give x days for debtor to seek help.

Stop and refer case back to client for instruction.

Stop and refer back to client refusing to enforce.

Those are the five main responses that we would have.

There is almost always proof of vulnerability. Whether its just by the ea seeing with his or her own eyes, doctors letters, blue badges, pregnancy books, soiled dwellings, benefits letters, drug paraphernalia....the list goes on.

It is very rare that a truly vulnerable person is enforced upon, but yes, unfortunately, some slip through the net or only rear up and provide proof after enforcement has taken place.

It would be great to break it down this way as in a Question with the answer and possibly at the end of the discussion having a useful guide that would assist others

That is what I thought this thread was about, but I was sadly disappointed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Grumpy long time no see. The original question was to find out why there is a difference between groups of vulnerable people. The definition is all over the place.

I was hoping to be able to use the information that is used in law and not in a guidance. This got lost some how..

As I said it is a very tough subject to discuss. As an EA do you think differently?

Been busy.

The law as you put it, recognizes vulnerable categories, and some individual vulnerabilities for a specific task. But it is not a law that makes that individual vulnerable in all walks of life.

If you think that being vulnerable for the purpose of claiming benefits means they are vulnerable for the purpose of enforcement, then yes, I do think differently.

Ask away. If anyone has any theoretical situations where a claim might be made, feel free to ask and I will try to answer from an EA's point of view what would be asked for and what the next steps would be. The first troll question and I'm out of here though.

Steps.

Continue as no proof has been seen and claim is not believed for various reasons.

There is almost always proof of vulnerability. Whether its just by the ea seeing with his or her own eyes, doctors letters, blue badges, pregnancy books, soiled dwellings, benefits letters, drug paraphernalia....the list goes on.

It is very rare that a truly vulnerable person is enforced upon, but yes, unfortunately, some slip through the net or only rear up and provide proof after enforcement has taken place.

Great just what we need to know those steps help immensely with advice

Ask away. If anyone has any theoretical situations where a claim might be made, feel free to ask and I will try to answer from an EA's point of view what would be asked for and what the next steps would be. The first troll question and I'm out of here though.

That is a golden offer Grumpy, thanks, as to the troll, perhaps we can chuck a fat Billygoat Gruff at them.

As to vulnerability, if a situation has fallen through the gaps and the EA is clued up, and proof is provided then it can be factored in to debt management rather than a futile debt avoidance scenario.

Ok Grumpy

Question

As a Debtor I contact you as EA and claim to be a vulnerable person/group, what process do you as EA have to follow to either confirm or deny that person/group is classed as vulnerable?

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

I wonder if it may be useful to break it down slightly as well?

i.e.

1. What process does an EA have to take if informed of vulnerable person/Group?

2. What action does a Debtor have to take to prove to an EA that they are a vulnerable person/group?

As I have already mentioned, I intended starting a thread at the beginning of the week on the subject of bailiff enforcement and 'vulnerability' (which is not to confused with 'vulnerability' for benefit purposes).

The thread that I have drafted is similar to the STICKIES that I have written in that it provides questions and answers. There is a desperate need for such a thread. However with Mikeymack wishing to discuss the subject of vulnerability according to the DWP (which is for the purpose of benefit applications) I felt that it was better to leave this subject for another time as it would cause confusion to have two threads running at the same time on similar subjects.

I will most likely post up the new thread over the weekend.

:thumb:

Gloria

well with a MA you must realise that you are not qualified to diagnose but my point was how can anyone diagnose online with no face to face interaction.

BN

I was not playing tit for tat just making a point that over several threads Glorian has made some outrageous comments about people with MH issues such as,all MH problems can be cured and generally accusing MH Esa claimants of swinging the lead.

I wonder if he/she is actually IDS

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?454102-How-can-I-get-Esa-for-Anxiety-amp-Depression

I think the issue for Glorian is that they have decided they have depression (self diagnosis). They were unable to convince a qualified practitioner to issue a certificate in order that Glorian could take some time off work.

I don't know whether subsequent posts are as a result of the self diagnosed depression or whether those comments are just part of their normal nature !

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Steps.

Yes this is pretty much what i have been saying previously. I do not think that it can ever be fully regulated because there are such a vast variety of cases every one being different.

There are as you say bits of legislation which cover the more extreme scenarios, sect 14 of the TCoG for instance says that someone who cannot understand the process cannot enter into a controlled goods agreement, it does not mean however that if there is someone else on the premises who is authorised, that they cannot, also there are the requirements to leave goods with the debtor whilst they find help if vulnerability is suspected before removal for sale.

Other than this and perhaps other general measures , i really dont see what the legislator can do.

It has to be down to guidence and good practice.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?454102-How-can-I-get-Esa-for-Anxiety-amp-Depression

I think the issue for Glorian is that they have decided they have depression (self diagnosis). They were unable to convince a qualified practitioner to issue a certificate in order that Glorian could take some time off work.

I don't know whether subsequent posts are as a result of the self diagnosed depression or whether those comments are just part of their normal nature !

Thanks Citizen B

It can be very difficult when you feel like you need some help but it feels no one is prepared to offer it. Sadly not all G.P.s are mental health aware. Some still think you just need to pull yourself together.

Then there are the government targets where a good Gp is seen as one with fewer referrals.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

My point exactly BA there are far to many versions of vulnerabilities. Maybe now time has passed I could have included the words classes of vulnerable people similar to what xx has for xx purpose. That would cause more confusion.

Take the letters that the DLA DM send to claimants? I will add this when on PC. The reason for this is someone in authority has already made that decision... I believe that this may help that's all...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Grumpy you have listed some 5 reasons that you would consider as vulnerable I would like to take a little more time to get a more detailed response to it I will post it when I get to a PC...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I think that on this thread there is confusion regarding differences between vulnerability that makes someone unable to pay their bills and vulnerability as regard to dealing with enforcment officers. I stated the definition regarding vulnerability for enforcement earlier on, it has nothing to do with the persons ability to pay.

it is about the debtors ability to deal with enforcment action. W|ill the interaction with the bailiff worsen their condition are they able to understand what is being said etc. Any disputes regarding sums due etc, were addressed at the earlier stages a judgement has been made and the EAis just enforcing it, he has no say in whether the judgement is correct or not. This is why legislative procedures which are used in determining sums due are of absolutely no use in the enforcment context.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

On Saturday evening I did indeed make a post to advise that I was looking to start a new thread on the subject of bailiff enforcement and vulnerability and in particular so, given that I had only just completed an analysis of a very lengthly report form the Local Government Ombudsman on precisely this very subject. Obviously with busy work commitments I had only finished the draft for the thread last night and had only noticed this morning that you had already started such a thread. I am perfectly happy for this thread to be used instead. No problem at all. I will use the draft thread that I had completed as a news page on my website instead.

You have mentioned yourself that this subject has been the topic of 'several heated debates' recently. Indeed it has and and if this thread goes the same way as many others with silly arguments then I will not be motivated to contribute to the thread. After all, this is an important subject.

A thread is needed on bailiff enforcement and vulnerability (as opposed to DWP and vulnerability for hardship purposes or benefits) and I will put up a thread over the weekend.

The case with the LGO (briefly mentioned above) has now concluded and like all other cases will in time (normally three months) appear on the LGO website. Whether the full report or a shortened version appears will not be known for a while. Needless to say it would not be fair to publish too much information at present but I can safely post the following:

The case concerned a debtor with unpaid parking charge notices. The vehicle was taken by bailiffs OVER A YEAR AGO.

Out of Time witness statements were submitted (not really too sure why). They were rejected. The debtor did not bother to file N244's to have the decision reviewed.

Shortly after the rejection of the Out of Time applications (which was approx 3 months AFTER the car was taken) the debtor contacted the council to say that he was 'vulnerable'. He provided NO evidence at all. In that letter he also claimed that he had not been GIVEN the Notice of Enforcement!!!

A short while later an 'internet sourced' (the LGO's description not mine) 'vulnerable household' letter was sent to the council with an alledged ten grounds on which he considered he could be vulnerable. Crucially, no evidence was again provided. This letter included an additional 'Final Resolution' clause with threats of legal action against the council. That letter has largely been responsible for the vehicle remaining in the car pound for a further TEN MONTHS.

When the council questioned the debtor on 'vulnerability' he responded to say that he had 'mental health' issues and that he was attending a clinic. The only evidence provided was a short email confirming the date of an appointment at a mental health community centre.

The LGO stated that the council needed to know how the alledged grounds impacted on the debtors ability to deal with the matters

In determining whether there had been any wrongdoing by the council or bailiff the LGO stated that the council should look at whether the PCN’s had been incurred due to unexpected or unforeseeable circumstances' and whether his 'mental health' issue affected his driving or limited in any way his understanding or parking restrictions and regulations.

Reviewing the penalty charge notices (there are multiple tickets) the LGO noted that the debtor had made a number of appeals to the council and accordingly it was considered that he was 'capable of understanding, defending and challenging PCN’s'

The LGO then stated that even if 'vulnerability' were proven, this would not remove the responsibility on the council to recover the debt. Instead, the council could assist the debtor to repay the debt over a longer period. The council agreed to a repayment proposal of £19 per week (against a debt of over £3,000). The debtor did not pay and instead, asked if the council could accept £5 per week. The LGO found no fault at all with the council and in the absence of any payments (in 14 months) confirmed that the car (worth £10,000) can be sold.

Grumpy you have listed some 5 reasons that you would consider as vulnerable I would like to take a little more time to get a more detailed response to it I will post it when I get to a PC...

Where was this MM ?

Fletch, sorry you were not the target regarding tit for tat.

Where was this MM ?

I think that you will find that grumps provided the following 5 steps:

I think that you will find that grumps provided the following 5 steps:

Oh I see, i was looking for,"5 reasons that you would consider as vulnerable " not actions taken on a claim of vulnerability.

A thread is needed on bailiff enforcement and vulnerability (as opposed to DWP and vulnerability for hardship purposes or benefits) and I will put up a thread over the weekend.

The case with the LGO (briefly mentioned above) has now concluded and like all other cases will in time (normally three months) appear on the LGO website. Whether the full report or a shortened version appears will not be known for a while. Needless to say it would not be fair to publish too much information at present but I can safely post the following:

The case concerned a debtor with unpaid parking charge notices. The vehicle was taken by bailiffs OVER A YEAR AGO.

Out of Time witness statements were submitted (not really too sure why). They were rejected. The debtor did not bother to file N244's to have the decision reviewed.

Shortly after the rejection of the Out of Time applications (which was approx 3 months AFTER the car was taken) the debtor contacted the council to say that he was 'vulnerable'. He provided NO evidence at all. In that letter he also claimed that he had not been GIVEN the Notice of Enforcement!!!

A short while later an 'internet sourced' (the LGO's description not mine) 'vulnerable household' letter was sent to the council with an alledged ten grounds on which he considered he could be vulnerable. Crucially, no evidence was again provided. This letter included an additional 'Final Resolution' clause with threats of legal action against the council. That letter has largely been responsible for the vehicle remaining in the car pound for a further TEN MONTHS.

When the council questioned the debtor on 'vulnerability' he responded to say that he had 'mental health' issues and that he was attending a clinic. The only evidence provided was a short email confirming the date of an appointment at a mental health community centre.

The LGO stated that the council needed to know how the alledged grounds impacted on the debtors ability to deal with the matters

In determining whether there had been any wrongdoing by the council or bailiff the LGO stated that the council should look at whether the PCN’s had been incurred due to unexpected or unforeseeable circumstances' and whether his 'mental health' issue affected his driving or limited in any way his understanding or parking restrictions and regulations.

Reviewing the penalty charge notices (there are multiple tickets) the LGO noted that the debtor had made a number of appeals to the council and accordingly it was considered that he was 'capable of understanding, defending and challenging PCN’s'

The LGO then stated that even if 'vulnerability' were proven, this would not remove the responsibility on the council to recover the debt. Instead, the council could assist the debtor to repay the debt over a longer period. The council agreed to a repayment proposal of £19 per week (against a debt of over £3,000). The debtor did not pay and instead, asked if the council could accept £5 per week. The LGO found no fault at all with the council and in the absence of any payments (in 14 months) confirmed that the car (worth £10,000) can be sold.

Yes it is a problem. Many advice forums are treating vulnerability as the new debt avoidance tool, after the failure of earlier "advice" this is just the newest idea. Unfortunately it is likely to cause problems for everyone involved as did the previous ideas.

The reason this can never work is of course that the vulnerability provisions have nothing to do with the debt, the debt will exist for as long as the judgement exists. If some vulnerability issue has the effect of prohibiting bailiff action the debt will just be enforced another way.