barclays credit card cloning fraud - help!!

ussy93
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was a victim of credit card fraud and reported it to barclays who closed the account and sent me a new card. Amount just over £2500 with over 8 transactions.

When looking at my statement (once the funds were processed) it says the card was used in another country and the chip and pin was used.

I was sent a deceleration form to fill in and send back which i have but now i got a call to fill in another form which allows police to investigate which i am fine with, i was also told to send in passport details etc.

my question is how did they manage to use my card and and get hold of my pin, barclays say the original card was used but i had it on me on the day of the transaction and have never let any one us it. when talking to them on the phone i felt like they were blaming me and putting me on the spot. They also stated that the original card was used. :shock:

What will happen now? will i get my money back? as i have car insurance due soon.

i have read some horror storys online

thanks in advance (sorry if in the wrong section)

Edited by ussy93

Well with a C+P cloning technique, all the information is exactly the same on the cloned card etc.

So its very possible for it to be cloned.

Have they fully refunded you yet?

Also, if you run into any trouble let me know. Ill give you a contact for Barclays to complain.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Well with a C+P cloning technique, all the information is exactly the same on the cloned card etc.

So its very possible for it to be cloned.

Have they fully refunded you yet?

Also, if you run into any trouble let me know. Ill give you a contact for Barclays to complain.

Thanks for the reply, I have not had no refund yet, it's been 17 days since the incident.

Please could I have the contact would much appreciate it

Thanks

It is easy to clone a card

You were probably [problem]med at an ATM or petrol station. Your card was recorded by a fake key pad reader and pin by a small covert camera.

After downloading the data on a skimming device it is easy to transmit that data anyware on the planet and put onto a blank card.

There is absolutly no way of them knowing if the original card was used at an ATM or not, only at a PDQ terminal would that be possible in store.

It was common at one time in the UK to put that data on the magnetic strip of an orange pay as you go top up card.

Despite what you have been led to believe chip and pin only works at chip and pin terminals in shops etc. With an ATM all the details are recorded on the magnetic strip on the back of the card. The majority of companies have yet to introduce chip and pin technology outside of the UK

Yes he is lying to you

Get him to put that in writing

ATM machines only read the magnetic strip on the back of a card, not the chip

I had this problem myself in 2008 where the banks attitude was that there was no way anyone else could get my pin number. That was until the [problem]mers started to get arrested with the covert equipment

I think it is time to start generating a papertrail and stop talking over the phone.

Complaint to the CEO is in order

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi Ussy,

Whatever happens KEEP the old card and do not let BC have it.

It may confirm that the card was NOT used for the fraud transactions.

If you let the bank have (and destroy it), you may lose the best evidence you have.

BC are obliged to refund the fraud amounts to your a/c quickly unless they believe you were negligent or complicit.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I was told to cut the old card immediately which i did, but have kept the pieces :!:

I have had no refund yet, so i assume they think the chip and pin issue was my fault.

On the FCA website i have found some information into my issue

"Your bank can only refuse a refund for an unauthorised payment if:

it can prove you authorised the transaction – though your bank cannot simply say that use of your password, card and PIN conclusively proves you authorised a payment"

Will see what happens, thanks for your advice

Hi Ussy,

The last sentence in my post above told you what the bank should do, as confirmed by what you quote from the FCA.

Is the CHIP part of the card intact or did you cut through it.

Have you complained in writing yet that you require the amounts to be refunded without further delay.

Did Ashok report back to you as promised.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Ussy,

The last sentence in my post above told you what the bank should do, as confirmed by what you quote from the FCA.

Is the CHIP part of the card intact or did you cut through it.

Have you complained in writing yet that you require the amounts to be refunded without further delay.

Did Ashok report back to you as promised.

Hi,

Unfortunately i have cut threw the chip as well, i did get a call from someone working on behalf of Ashok on Tuesday who said would look into the matter for me but nothing resolved yet.

I am just in the process of sending in my second declaration form which allows police investigation and to look threw my internet history via ISP. Will also be sending in pictures of passports and bank statements of everyone in the household.

many thanks for your reply

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Quick update got a letter saying the case will be dealt and a final response will be given by 11th of November but got no response.

I rang Ashok's office on the 13th only only to be told more time was required, i then got a phone call on the 18th as they were confused which address i lived at. (i provided details of my home address and my parents as i thought it may help the investigation), only to be told that they thought i was living at my parent home,

I am dyslexic and sometimes i do say the wrong things, surely this should not delay the investigation by almost 3 weeks. I have been very patient with them and feel like they are making excuses. Today i was promised a final outcome by the 27th of this month but i am expecting a further delay.

Is there anything else i can do to speed up the investigation?

many thanks

Hi Ussy,

I'd send a letter to BC saying you are not about the delays and require a replyn by return, failing which you will raise formal complaints with the FOS.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ussy,

I'd send a letter to BC saying you are not about the delays and require a replyn by return, failing which you will raise formal complaints with the FOS.

Got a response but still not got my money back into my balance, i have raised a FOS case,

many thanks