• Tweets

• whitelist - the same with mine....the battery had a mind of its own. i bought it for my Son...he'd shut it down and it would be completely off but the power light would either stay on or flash...also it wouldnt start properly, had cmos errors on boot and other stuff.   i bought it through HP store on ebay ..brand new. after 6 days of receipt i recieced an email from HP asking if i was happy...i returned an email saying no and that i want to send it back as it was faulty. after trying to sort it for a couple of months with HP not replying, not offering a solution etc i finally got passed tech support who confirmed it was faulty. i then had to return it to their factory. this is where its gets beyond worse...waited 3 times for parcelforce to collect - they didnt. in the end hp sent me a label which i had to take to the post office - not good as im disabled with mobility disability. then they asked for my bank account number to issue the refund. they hardly ever replied to my emails and it took over a month and a half to refund me once they had received the laptop back. no explanation, no progress emails, no updates. i kept emailing them on a daily basis as no one would reply to my emails through the website, forum, internal email addresses and even phoned 3 different departments who basically had no idea what to do or what was going on. on the forums theres ot customers who've had to wait 6 weeks , 2 months , over 2 months etc...it seems as though HP like to withold peoples money to earn interest on the money in their account. i spents days phoning and emailing them - even sent a recorded letter. at the begining i phoned citizens advice and they said i am entitled to put back into the same financial position as before i lost the out of pocket expenses ie: compensation for my time and recorded letter sent etc. ive started a martin lewis resolver case with them and basically in a snotty reply they told me im not entitled to compensation. i was just wondering if theres any .gov website or law/legislation that i could reply with and say "no your wrong - please compensate me"
    • LBC is here. Complete with a note showing a phantom payment. What to do next?
    • I suppose it doesn't make a massive amount of difference as Kev has never had the guts to do court - well at least not yet - but to me the number of cards played still needs to be reduced.  Given the OP has already referred to the "very busy and overflowing car park" in the appeal I'd refer to that and tell Kev to go and look up case no.3JD08399.
    • thanks ftmdave again for the help with letter. thanks lookinforinfo for the info, im glad i found this forum as its a great comfort and relief to know ive dont the right thing as i wasnt too sure at first. and good to know what excel are really like.   thanks guys.
    • Hello!  First timer on here, discovered this amazing site and threads on debt issues only yesterday. After never having a bad debt in my life, almost 2.5 years ago I was scammed by my now-ex partner who calculatingly manipulated me into taking out a bounceback loan, 2 personal loans and a credit card.  He took all the money via ruthless deception, every penny, as well as the car (bought with unsecured personal loan) and all my furniture, personal belongings and even most of my clothes as well.  I'd packed up my life to move to another part of the country with him, only to discover he'd scammed me and been clever about it, so he directed the removal truck to a location unknown to me (never saw my stuff again!), and car is registered into someone else's name.  All this happened abroad.  I have won a criminal case against him abroad and he has been given a custodial sentence (which he is appealing while on bail), but it is difficult to get financial reparation so I am left with over £40k of debt to my name in the UK.    I am in my mid-50s, and have no assets whatsoever, I still live abroad (renting) and cannot afford to return to live in the UK due to the debts and decreasing income. It's been devastating and I've been struggling enormously since it happened (Jan 2022).  I have been suicidal at times. I was making combined loan/cc payments of £1300 monthly for over two years, but I'm self-employed (sole trader) and my UK-based small business has suffered 70% loss of income since Oct 2023 due to changes affecting government funding for the market I provide services to.  My income is commission-based, and has reduced to an average of £1200 per month. As I currently live abroad (outside EEU), I am not resident in the UK for tax purposes and haven't been for more than 3 years (my work is done remotely outside the UK, even though my clients are in the UK and payment is received into my UK bank account).  That means I am not entitled to an IVA or bankruptcy options.  My only option in terms of a debt repayment solution is a DMP. I maintain a UK correspondence address (my mother's home) and use this for my bank account, loans, credit cards etc.  I have only informed HSBC (bank acc) and one loan company that I moved abroad and that the UK address is only a correspondence address (been scared of potential consequences of informing them, even though I don't know what they could be or if there would be any). My worst fear is being taken to court, bankruptcy, etc, and my bank account and income being controlled and all surplus income above basic needs being taken etc, when I literally have almost nothing in life at this stage and desperately want to try to rebuild my life somehow and have some normality again.  Perhaps even move back to the UK if I can afford to. I've contacted all my creditors except cc (it's an HSBC card so am concerned it would affect my bank account with them.  I also bank abroad with HSBC and have global-linked accounts with them).  All interest has been stopped on my loans since April (period of 4 months on two loans, 6 months on bounceback loan with Pay As You Grow option agreed).  Continued so far to pay at least minimum payment on HSBC credit card.  I spoke to PayPlan yesterday and they've worked out a DMP paying £289.50 per month for 11 yrs 7 months, with annual reviews - not signed up to it yet, and concerned about customer reviews I've read about them demanding double payments a year or so down the line and not making payments to the creditors for long periods, etc.  Frightens the life out of me trusting them with the limited money I have - I don't want to go out of the frying pan into the fire in terms of stress that could last years, going by some of the horror story reviews. Considering the DIY DMP option, dealing directly with my creditors myself.  But not even sure going down the DMP route is the best option.  What do I gain from doing that? Sounds like I will still end up with an arrears or even a default record on my credit file even with a DMP, and I will be paying money I really need to help me get my life back on track, especially as I don't even have a full state pension entitlement - would be better used to pay missing years into that, surely, if I do have some surplus?  Either way, with or without a DMP, I won't be able to borrow so how would a bad credit score affect me anyway?  Seems like it could be best to allow them to go to default in the hope that it can all be SB-ed after 6 years. At this early stage, I know I will benefit from advice here about what route to go down and pros & cons/risks etc of: a) DMP with PayPlan b) DIY DMP c) Going down the default route in hope of debts being sold to DCA and not paying anything further with result that it is all SB-ed after 6 years. Struggling to pay off the loans for the next 11 years @ £289.50 seems daunting and such a long time, when I really need every penny to restart my life, regain some dignity, restore my mental health etc... I hope someone here help me make the right decision at this point, before I've committed to anything or have paid lots of money for years with little dent into the loans.... Details : HSBC Bounceback Loan (unsecured):  taken Dec 2021, original amount £9000, 2.5%.  Currently owe £4950.  Monthly payment:  £159.  Not missed any payments, but agreed PAYG option in April - full holiday for 6 mths, restart payments at £73.00 in October, term extended to 2030. TSB personal Loan (unsecured) - taken Aug 2021, original amount £23,000, 9.2%.  Monthly payment £475.  Currently owe £14,550.  Missed 2 payments. Interest stopped since April, no payments offered or made.  Situation to be reviewed prior to default - which will be after 4 missed payments). Sainsburys personal Loan (unsecured) - taken Jan 2022, original amount £25,000, 8.6%.  Monthly payment £514.  Currently owe £14000.  Missed 2 payments.  Interest stopped since April, made 1 payment of £50.00 on 7 May (offered to pay £50/month until situation reviewed prior to default - which will be after 4 missed payments). HSBC credit card APR 18.9% - £6900 currently owing, continuing to pay at least minimum payment (£180/month), not contacted them so far. Applied for Starling bank account, as advised by PayPlan to have a separate a/c from my HSBC one as they would have the right to take money from my account to pay off my HSBC cc debt if I stopped paying that. Sorry this is so long and a big thank you for reading down to the end!  I hope the detail helps with advising me on best course of action and possible/likely consequences.      
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Natwest bank manager was involved in over 100k theft from fathers bank account. Advice needed

sopho3000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3228 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I'm new to these forums and I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct place.

Please feel free to point me in the right direction if it's better suited somewhere else.

Although this story is fairly long, I will try and explain it the best I can.

I am speaking on behalf of my Father because he has dyslexia and finds it difficult to read and write well.

Back in 2005 my Father owned a fairly successful business but he was having trouble with the bookkeeping and accounts.

Around this time, he was approached by a company called Barrington Finance, who told him that they were able to help him sort his difficulties out and get his books and accounts in order.

Shortly after, the director of Barrington finance decided he wanted to leave his job and be in partnership with my Father, as he was bored of his job and wanted to take a new direction.

The director then introduced my Father to a bank manager who worked at Natwest.

My Fathers new business partner, and the manager of Natwest advised my Father to remortgage his home for £100'000 and to put the money in to an account for a new business venture my Father set up.

The bank manager opened up 3 separate business accounts for different business's for my father and his new business partner, with an overdraft facility on 2 accounts.

A mandate was set in place for the accounts, which stated that money could only be withdrawn/transferred with two signatures. That of my Fathers, and his new business partner.

Around 8 months after these accounts were set up,

my Father noticed some suspicious activity within his business, he then went in branch to check one of the accounts (the one he had put the £100'000 in), to find that the account had been closed and all the money had been taken out.

He was at a complete loss for words as he had only authorised one transaction over that period.

He knew straight away that his new business partner was involved in the disappearance of the money and the account closure.

Upon viewing the bank statements of these accounts, there had been withdrawals of large sums of money which were not authorised by my Father.

He immediately reported the matter to the police to which they said they could not do anything until they received confirmation from the bank that these fraudulent actions had taken place.

He then approached the bank and reported the theft to the bank assistant to which they passed onto the managers.

The manager did agree that fraudulent activity had been taking place and asked him to put it in writing so they can investigate further into the matter. The case was then passed onto the fraud investigation department.

Whilst this investigation was happening (it took almost two years) the bank itself made a claim against my Father for the £10000 overdraft facility.

He tried to inform the bank that their bank manager had authorised the overdraft and is involved in the theft and the unauthorised transactions taken out of the accounts.

In the end, the claim that my Father was trying to make was not taken to court because Natwest said that the £10’000 overdraft he apparently owed and the disappearance of the £100’000 were not related.

Before Natwest took my Father to court, he had payed around £7000 in legal costs trying to take them to court.

After all of this happened, my Father lost his business, our family home… everything he had ever worked hard for.

In 2008, my dad had to pay back the £10’000. He has suffered a tremendous amount of stress and depression from this ordeal, and we are all suffering to this very day.

that is the general background to the story.

I hope it wasn’t too difficult to follow for those of you that are still reading this.

Of course there are further points to make but it would take way too long to explain on this forum.

I have a few important questions to ask and some key points to elaborate on

When my Father saw the account transactions, it showed that money was been transferred to his business partners account, his business partners WIFES account and then to the other two business accounts that were set up.

When he asked Natwest to show him WHO authorised these transactions (there were 21 account transfers) they said that this is only kept on file in a note system for a very short period of time and then destroyed.

Is this true?

So if you have a large sum of money in an account that is only allowed withdrawal/transactions with two signatures, they have NO evidence to show who allowed this to happen?

2) Before the mandate was set in place and signed by my father and his business partner, £10’000 was withdrawn out of the account in cash, with only 1 signature, the signature of his business partner!

This was BEFORE the mandate was even set in place!

Surely this is enough evidence?

And surely this is completely in breach of the contract???

3) The bank manager of natwest was over-riding my fathers authority and allowing my fathers business partner to transfer the money without his permission.

What is even more astounding is that the bank manager of Natwest was SACKED in 2008 due to gross misconduct.

But they did not mention this at court?!

Fastforward to 2015,

we have now taken this case to the Financial Ombudsman.

I sent off a case file that has all evidence and documents pertaining to the investigation back in 2007/8.

The court had ordered Natwest to release all their documents of their investigation so EVERYTHING they did/said is all here with me in a file.

before the case was passed on to the adjudicator,

another person who was dealing with it beforehand said that Natwest have not issued my Father with a deadlock letter .

can the ombudsman make a decision without the deadlock letter?

We have asked the Ombudsman time and time again to get the deadlock letter from the bank but he has ignored these requests.

He said that because it happened so long ago , Natwest have told him they haven't kept the case on file.

BUT we have everything here on file because as I said earlier, the court ordered Natwest to release everything they were doing on the investigation back in 2007/08.

What are the chances of my Father getting anywhere with this case since it has been more than six years?

I would greatly appreciate everyones thoughts, comments and suggestions

. If you have any questions that you would like to ask then please feel free to do so. Thank you for reading.

What came about regarding any police action taken any for theft or fraud?

An action against the bank for negligence would be time barred at 6 years. What has changed that you are looking to take action against the bank now, rather than within the six years?

An action to recover proceeds of theft or fraud wouldn't become time barred (S4 Limitations Act 1980)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58/section/4

however, I'm not sure you could go after the bank for this, only the persons commiting any fraud or theft, (or non-innocent recipients depending on what has happened to the funds since).

What came about regarding any police action taken any for theft or fraud?

An action against the bank for negligence would be time barred at 6 years. What has changed that you are looking to take action against the bank now, rather than within the six years?

An action to recover proceeds of theft or fraud wouldn't become time barred (S4 Limitations Act 1980)

however, I'm not sure you could go after the bank for this, only the persons commiting any fraud or theft, (or non-innocent recipients depending on what has happened to the funds since).

Hi there,

Well the police said they couldn't do anything until Natwest confirmed that fraudulent actions had taken place.... the bank never confirmed it so nothing was done.

I assumed that because the Bank Manager was employed by Natwest and working for them then they would be responsible too?

Hi there,

Well the police said they couldn't do anything until Natwest confirmed that fraudulent actions had taken place.... the bank never confirmed it so nothing was done.

I assumed that because the Bank Manager was employed by Natwest and working for them then they would be responsible too?

The bank could be responsible for negligence, but the bank didn't steal / defraud the money. Mind you, I'm not a lawyer ... So we'll see what others say.

Again, why wait more than six years?

After everything that had happened, my father had nothing left of him. He was in and out of nervous breakdowns and depression and felt completely defeated. I feel that he has now got the strength to speak up again about what has happened to him, so that is why it has taken all this time.

I was very young when this happened, so was not in a position to help him. Now I am.

There is no limitation period statute bar which applies to claims for fraud until it is discovered and Fraudulent breach of trust, time runs from the time the claimant is aware of the relevant facts.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread