• Tweets

• Write to the IPC complaining that UKPC have not observed the requirements of PoFA . IPC  Waterside House, Macclesfield SK10 9NR Dear IPC, I am writing to complain about a serious breach of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 by UKPCM. I feel that as it is more a breach of the Act rather than not just  complying with your Code of Practice which is why I am bypassing your operator. Should you decide to insist that I first complain to your operator, I will instead pass over my complaint to the ICO and the DVLA . My story starts with being issued a windscreen PCN on 8/3/24 which was almost immediately removed and a second  PCN was then  sent by post on 13/3/24  [deemed delivered 15/3/24] which I did not receive and had to send an sar to have that particular mess revealed later  but that is not the reason for my complaint. UKPC then sent a Keeper Liability Notice dated 12/4/24 warning me that as 28 days have now elapsed, I as keeper am now liable for the charge.  This is in direct contravention of PoFA since the keeper does not become liable to pay until the day after the original PCN is deemed to have been given which would have been 13/4/24 -a Saturday ]. Not only does it not comply with PoFA but it fails to adhere to your Code of Practice and is in breach of their agreement with the DVLA. You will be aware that this is not the first time that UKPC have fallen foul of the DVLA and presumably yourselves. I have included copies of both Notices for information. You will realise the seriousness of this situation if this is standard practice from the UKPC to all motorists or just those where windscreen tickets are involved since the Law regarding PoFA is being abused and is unfair to misguide motorists. I await your  response which I understand will usually be within a week. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I would think that should be sufficient for the IPC to cancel your PCN though  you should await comments from the Site team before sending your complaint. Don't forget to include both PCNs.  
    • Hi DX, Sorry, fell asleep as I was up all night last night writing that statement. Yes, I attached the rest of the witness statement on post 50, bottom of webpage 2. That's the important part.  It looks like the lawyer who wrote Erudio's Witness statement does not work for them any more. So, I'll have another lawyer representing instead. Not sure if I can use Andy's hearsay argument verbally if that happens.... I did not put it in writing. Apart from not sending deferral forms, my main argument is that in 2014 Erudio fixed some arrears mistake that SLC made and then in 2018 they did the same mistake, sent me confusing letters. What is the legal defence when they send you confusing material?
    • Chinese firm MineOne Partners has been ordered to sell land it owns near a US nuclear missile site.View the full article
    • That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

unfair treatment at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I could do with a little help as new to this. I am working for a large car parts firm delivering parts, I suffer from sleep apnea which is a disability, one of my work mates which I thought was a mate told the manager how tired I looked and swerved the van, so immediately I was send home with no explaination and no proof of the allegation. I am off sick with stress due to all this, my disability is controlled by a CPAP machine and I am perfectly fine to drive and have never had an accident, I feel as though I am being discriminated against and that no one believes me which is awful. Any advice would be greatful, thanks in advance, also forgot to mention that I pointed out that other drivers have had accidents, quite badly some of them, my reply was "but they don't have sleep apnea" which means I am being treated differently to everyone else

Edited by isisandkia1961
neede to add a few things

This is difficult, as your employer has a responsibility for you and the wider public. The only way you will move forward with this is a Doctors report saying that you are fit to perform your job as a delivery driver. If you had an accident after this had been reported to your employer, they would be in trouble., being potentially liable.

See your GP or the doctor who has treated your condition to see what they can do.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your reply, I am seeing the docs and hospital for my conditions but I went through the same thing 12 months ago so its not as though my company didn't know about my disability but because one person said I looked tired, but by the way was a lie, the thing that popped into there head was "you have got sleep apnea" and I know that I am fit to drive, I wouldn't risk my life or anyone elses if I thought I would a danger on the road. Going to see some one at the CAB as all this is really stressing me out as all I want to do is get back to work, they have no idea what they are causing me.

Not sure CAB will be able to help. If your employer thinks you are not fit for work driving for them, then it is up to you to get a medical saying you are fit to drive.

The company you work for have a legal responsibility for ensuring that their drivers are fit to drive and any slight doubt must be taken seriously. Whether they should offer some occupational health assessment in this situation I am not sure. Depends on your contract, as to whether you are entitled to pay while you are absent as they sent you home.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Must agree with the above. The employer is completely in the clear here since they are acting on an observation/concern expressed by a colleague (irrespective of whether this is true or not). The responsibility for health and safety is sufficient for them to act in the way that they have.

It is also true however that they have an obligation to act within the rights afforded under the Equality Act, and since they are aware of a disability (as defined by the EA) should be looking to obtain information from your medical records, possibly an independent assessment and report of your condition, maybe a driving assessment, and consideration of what reasonable adjustments can be made to allow you to work relatively normally.

If medical advice and any assessment carried out were to indicate a risk, then the employer could look at options including non-driving work or ultimately capability to remain in work. I say that not to worry you, and I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that, but it is a possibility.

So, you need to discuss this ASAP with the employer - of course once you are considered fit to do so. Emphasise that DVLA considers you fit to drive, based on medical opinion and assessment. You are perfectly willing to share your medical reports with the employer and to have an independent assessment of your condition and even a driving assessment if necessary. The employer would be wise to take aome or all of these options up before doing anything further.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for the advice but the person who is involved in all this has done the same to others in the workplace either to get extra feathers in her cap or not, I have been in touch with the DVLA and they have told me I am still able to drive, my employers now are looking at the fact that on my sick note the doc has put "stress" as even my doc thinks all this is detrimental to my health, I have told my firm they can look into my medical records as ive nothing to hide but it seems strange that they did exactly the same thing to me 12 months ago and I was found to be fit to drive and carry on as normal but because they are a big company they can treat ppl like something you scrape off ur shoe, thanks again for your advice forgot to say that I haven't got a contract asked for a copy as I remember signing one but they were adamant that I had one until I proved that no one in my branch had a copy

If you can catalogue the previous instances where this person has acted mischievously then it may be worth lodging a grievance?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for that sidewinder I am getting on to that grievance as its not only me shes done this sort of thing to

What would she gain from this ? Extra work for her and her friends ? I don't think a grievance will go down well and it may not help your cause.

I think it would be better to address the health issue that has been raised and to make sure your employer is happy with you to drive for them,

I woudl also be looking into joining a union who can represent you in the future.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

What would she gain from this ? Extra work for her and her friends ? I don't think a grievance will go down well and it may not help your cause.

I think it would be better to address the health issue that has been raised and to make sure your employer is happy with you to drive for them,

I agree up to a point. Whilst it would be far better to be able to convince the employer of fitness to drive (and on the available evidence this does not seem to be in doubt to those outside of the organisation), if this is the second such instance inside 12 months then it may well be that the employer is having doubts and this could all end up being rather uncomfortable anyway.

If the employer's doubts have stemmed solely from the word of on person only, and if there was no just cause for such comments to be made, then a grievance may be entirely in order - after all that is effectively what this person has done to the OP. For certain it is not the way to gain popularity, but if the OP genuinely feels aggrieved, and the alternative looks as though capability is being brought into question, then it may be appropriate.

Absolutely agree that the OP needs to know exactly where they stand first and foremost, and I restate that the employer should be given medical evidence, DVLA approval etc, but if it is looking like the employer is seeking to take the OP off the road despite medical advice, then start hitting back.

DONATE HERE

Also the advantage of union membership is that IF you end up being dismissed later on and it could be a breach of the single equality act, your union *might* take the case on for you and help with the tribunal, inc the fees.

They can also help represent in grievances etc as well

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Thanks for your reply, I am seeing the docs and hospital for my conditions but I went through the same thing 12 months ago so its not as though my company didn't know about my disability but because one person said I looked tired, but by the way was a lie, the thing that popped into there head was "you have got sleep apnea" and I know that I am fit to drive, I wouldn't risk my life or anyone elses if I thought I would a danger on the road. Going to see some one at the CAB as all this is really stressing me out as all I want to do is get back to work, they have no idea what they are causing me.

I suspect the relevant test you can ask the hospital for is a sleep study (polysomnography) performed with you on your CPAP machine, to demonstrate that (treated) you no longer suffer apneic episodes, contrasting this to your (diagnosis, untreated) study.

If you are at a centre that offers it, a functional Maintenance of Wakefullness test (such as the OSLER test) would show if you suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness - pretty definitive evidence to provide to your employer but very few centres offer this.

As an alternative approach : is your employer's fleet fitted with "black boxes", and if so : is it worth asking if your metrics show an increase in sudden breaking / swerving than the "normal" drivers - as if not on what basis do your employers base their concerns?

They review the SD card on the machine at the yearly review. It gives lovely figures such as usage and episodes where it has to work on you.

They fact that you are compliant and are using the machine makes you fit to drive. If the treatment was failing the the hospital has a duty of care to inform dvla.

There would be no need for a sleep text now you are on treatment.

You could even obtain the resmed software and upload the SD card yourself on pc or laptop. Pm me if you need it. Assuming you are on the resmed box ofc.

On a lighter note, do try not to strangulate yourself on the pipe...

http://www.sleep-apnoea-trust.org

Are good.... Maybe get in touch too

http://www.sleep-apnoea-trust.org/detailed-guidance-to-drivers.htm

• Haha 1

They review the SD card on the machine at the yearly review. It gives lovely figures such as usage and episodes where it has to work on you.

They fact that you are compliant and are using the machine makes you fit to drive. If the treatment was failing the the hospital has a duty of care to inform dvla.

There would be no need for a sleep text now you are on treatment.

You could even obtain the resmed software and upload the SD card yourself on pc or laptop. Pm me if you need it. Assuming you are on the resmed box ofc.

On a lighter note, do try not to strangulate yourself on the pipe...

http://www.sleep-apnoea-trust.org

Are good.... Maybe get in touch too

http://www.sleep-apnoea-trust.org/detailed-guidance-to-drivers.htm

So, does the SD card show compliance with the set treatment parameters, or "effective treatment"?.

I suggest it shows the former, but doesn't prove the later, which makes a difference if someone claims "treatment not working"

"They fact that you are compliant and are using the machine makes you fit to drive" : wrong.

The fact that the compliance with effective treatment has removed the daytime / excessive sleepiness makes the OP fit to drive. If the OP needed a higher pressure set to resolve their symptoms then the current treatment wouldn't make them fit to drive.

The data on the SD card shows the OP to be compliant with using the machine & the pressure set / achieved.

This is enough data, but only IF:

a) the OP says "my symptoms have resolved" and

b) no one else (like the employer!) is suggesting the OP is still symptomatic.

If the suggestion (rightly or wrongly!) is the OP is still symptomatic from sleep apnoea then a repeat sleep study (on their current CPAP support) could be used to show their current setup treats their apnoeas : even then, that just shows their apnoeas have resolved.

If there is any suggestion of another sleep issue such as idiopathic hypersomnolence contributing, then overnight polysomnography won't help on its own. This is why sometimes the overnight study is followed by a MSLT (multiple sleep latency test) to rule out narcolepsy or idiopathic hypersomnolence, or, if the OP was forced to prove they have been effectively treated : a Maintenance of Wakefullness test could be used (to show that not only were they compliant with treatment / their apnoeas were prevented) but that the end result was that their symptoms of excessive sleepiness were EFFECTIVELY treated.

"As an alternative approach : is your employer's fleet fitted with "black boxes", and if so : is it worth asking if your metrics show an increase in sudden breaking / swerving than the "normal" drivers - as if not on what basis do your employers base their concerns?"

I would never in a million years invite anyone to look through tracking generated data, i'd put my house on it everyone here who drives would see many bad readings on it and unless you remembered every occasion "oh that was where i car stopped suddenly, a car pulled out, i swerved as kids were messing etc." it will only make you look bad. The employer does not ever need to gauge this against how the rest drive, only the highway code and road traffic act.

The only way for me for the OP to prove he is fit to drive is through medical reports, lack of accidents is a factor but their concern is the accident waiting to happen, with the recent bin case in scotland where the driver killed the pedestrians after having a heart attack i know the transport department where i work is very nervy about any know risk for their drivers now and is undergoing a massive health surveillance excercise.

The employers position here is simple

Risk Assessment :-

Hazard - Road traffic accident due to sleep or tiredness caused by their staff member with a medical condition they were aware of.

Likelihood of it happening. -????????

I'm all for employee's rights but if i was a manager here the person would be off driving until i was positive that likelihood was 0% and that i could also prove this in court/coroners on behalf of the employer if one of my employees injured a member of the public where one or more fatalities is a definite possibility of the known hazard.

Unless the OP can prove he is as safe to drive as the normal employee i get the feeling this will turn into a medical redeployment case where the employer should be looking at alternative roles in the company.

"As an alternative approach : is your employer's fleet fitted with "black boxes", and if so : is it worth asking if your metrics show an increase in sudden breaking / swerving than the "normal" drivers - as if not on what basis do your employers base their concerns?"

I would never in a million years invite anyone to look through tracking generated data, i'd put my house on it everyone here who drives would see many bad readings on it and unless you remembered every occasion "oh that was where i car stopped suddenly, a car pulled out, i swerved as kids were messing etc." it will only make you look bad. The employer does not ever need to gauge this against how the rest drive, only the highway code and road traffic act.

The only way for me for the OP to prove he is fit to drive is through medical reports, lack of accidents is a factor but their concern is the accident waiting to happen, with the recent bin case in scotland where the driver killed the pedestrians after having a heart attack i know the transport department where i work is very nervy about any know risk for their drivers now and is undergoing a massive health surveillance excercise.

The employers position here is simple

Risk Assessment :-

Hazard - Road traffic accident due to sleep or tiredness caused by their staff member with a medical condition they were aware of.

Likelihood of it happening. -????????

I'm all for employee's rights but if i was a manager here the person would be off driving until i was positive that likelihood was 0% and that i could also prove this in court/coroners on behalf of the employer if one of my employees injured a member of the public where one or more fatalities is a definite possibility of the known hazard.

Unless the OP can prove he is as safe to drive as the normal employee i get the feeling this will turn into a medical redeployment case where the employer should be looking at alternative roles in the company.

"i'd put my house on it everyone here who drives would see many bad readings on it" : the very reason my advice to the OP was to be compared to the "average" / "normal" driver.

Not "do I brake / suddenly steer" at all, but "do I do so more severely / more often" than usual.