Reverend Paul Nicolson wins Judicial Review to challenge the fees councils charge when applying for a Liability Order.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good! It is a shame there is no vehicle whereby, given their total failure to perform their role even to the lowest of acceptable standards, the individual magistrates who rubber stamped this decision without asking any questions could not have their suitability for being a magistrate called into account.

If a few magistrates were disposed of to set an example, I suspect other LA's would quickly get their own houses in order.

For many years the Magistrates have failed to question the amount of fees charged by local authorities when requesting permission to issue a Liability Order and yet, an almost identical situation is happening with convictions for using a TV without a valid licence. In such cases, the courts have been allowing Capita to recover a MINIMUM of £120 for each case.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding that the costs associated with obtaining a liability order in the Magistrates' Court are to penalise the taxpayer.

Haringey Independent is apparently of that view:

"
The meeting comes after the clergyman won a high court legal challenge to the £125 he was fined for non-payment on the grounds that it could not be established how that figure was arrived at

There is a fundamental misunderstanding that the costs associated with obtaining a liability order in the Magistrates' Court are to penalise the taxpayer.

Haringey Independent is apparently of that view:

"
The meeting comes after the clergyman won a high court legal challenge to the £125 he was fined for non-payment on the grounds that it could not be established how that figure was arrived at

That is how the councils would like to see the public think, we know that they are NOT allowed to use it in that way nor as an additional source of revenue for the general fund.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

The article in the above post originally stated that the Reverend's meeting with the auditor would be on Monday 8 June 2015. It appears the meeting will be tomorrow (Friday 5 June 2015).

Haringey Independent

HCEOs, you are falling for the lie that is State Gangsterism. The lie being 'because we say we have the right to enforce and the power to do so, we are in the right". Or in true Goodfellas speak "F*** You Pay ME".

Once categorically and lawfully proven there is no debt, then there can be no liability and when the issuing court fails to answer my direct challenges, then there's definitely no liability!

Still waiting to find out how to attach my council tax bill.

• 1 month later...

The Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV) has wasted no time in finding a way of cashing in on the Reverend's successful Judicial Review, by tailoring courses to council officers who have an involvement in recovery of council tax.

Even with the ticket prices (see below) pitched as they are, the workshops seem popular so if you want to guarantee a place I should get in quick:

Consequences of the Reverend Nicolson Case on Court Costs

FEES

The fee structure for this series of meetings is as follows:-

£75+vat - IRRV Members

£95+vat - Members of the IRRV Forum or Benefits Advisory Services or Organisational membership

£115+vat - Non-members

Lunch is included.

The Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV) has wasted no time in finding a way of cashing in on the Reverend's successful Judicial Review, by tailoring courses to council officers who have an involvement in recovery of council tax.

Even with the ticket prices (see below) pitched as they are, the workshops seem popular so if you want to guarantee a place I should get in quick:

Consequences of the Reverend Nicolson Case on Court Costs

FEES

The fee structure for this series of meetings is as follows:-

£75+vat - IRRV Members

£95+vat - Members of the IRRV Forum or Benefits Advisory Services or Organisational membership

£115+vat - Non-members

Lunch is included.

Thank you for the update. I am meeting with David Magor this week so should find out more details about the courses.