Help with Utility Bill from Landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I'd like a bit of advice please. I live in a house where part of it has been converted into 5 flats and the landlord lives in the other half of the house. We've been there 18 months and not really had a problem with bills until now. Our landlord has just given us a bill for Electricity £129 (we have a meter) and water £340 :mad: there is no way of checking how much water we use. He's had his bill in and then split it 6 ways between the flats and himself. Thing is I don't think this is fair as there is no way we will have used this amount of water even in a year (we have questioned him regarding the time period that this is for and have asked to actually see the bill!!!!!!) I believe that he is getting all his tennants to actually pay for his water. I've asked a couple of my friends what their water bills are as they live in a one bedroomed property and have been quoted figures of £175 and £213 respectively.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks everyone

Rhonda ;-)

Hi, I agree we're not paying anything until he we've seen this bill. We've told him that we're not disputing that we do need to pay something but to me it does seem a tad on the high side...

Thanks for your advice

R

Can you phone the water company and tell them you're thinking of moving into the house/flat and wondered how much the water rates are ? I;m sure they tell you as it's a reasonable thing to do when moving.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

Legally, he cannot force you to pay this unless he shows you a copy of the bill.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice, the house isn't listed as seperate flats though for some reason the only thing we all need to have seperately is the TV licence but the electricity/water/council tax/ and one flat has gas is split between all of us.

To top it off aswell he's a nightmare because he also doesn't let us know if he needs to go into the flats, I recently came home to find my front door open or when he's had builders/decorators in I've come back to find things have been done and it doesn't matter how much we tell him all he says is sorry but then does it again. Unfortunately if I didn't like it there so much I would move!!!!

R

Unless the water is on a meter, it will be a flat rate, and it does seem high, but I suppose it would depend where you live, which water company bills you.

We're with Thames Water, and our bill is about £ 350 per yr for a 4 bedroom house, and my daughter, who shares a 4 bed flat with mates, is about £400 per yr.

You have every right to see the bill before agreeing to pay.

How come you got an elctricity bill if you're on a meter? :-?

Entry to your flat without warning, big no-no. Not sure how you can stop him from doing it, though, or where to complain if he doesn't pay heed.

I live near windsor so not sure who the water company is I'm guessing it's Thames Water. I'm going to write him a letter expressing my concerns. I think what's bothered me is that during the summer we were really careful with the water you know turning off the tap whilst brushing our teeth etc, however, I'd look out of the window and he'd have a hose pipe watering his garden..

Re the electricity bill all the flats have meters from which he takes the readings and then like the water bill he's received an electric bill and then apportioned the cost ... on the invoice he gave us last week the electricity amount was £129 and again I need to know what period this is for.

Also with him just coming into the flat even on our agreements he gave us it says about him notifying us in advance should he wish to enter the property. On the flip side I needed a new fridge and he was like yep fine go and get one and take it off the rent which I did and earlier in the new year I said I needed a new mattress I thought I might have been pushing my luck though with that but he agreed and got me a new one. So on one side he's not too bad but there's this other side of him which I think is a bid dodgy - hmm :rolleyes:

I have to admit that something doesn't sound quite right here. You should all have your own council tax bills. In some circumstances the gas/electric may be as a whole unit but it's still very odd. I would simply call the water authority and ask them how much the bill would be if you moved to that area.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

If you go on the Royal Mail website, are the flats listed as seperate addresses or is there just the house showing? If the flats aren't listed with Royal Mail and you don't get a Council Tax bill then something sounds very dodgy. I'd check to see whether he actually got planning permission to convert the house into flats.

Also, if you all have your own Electric meters then you should all be billed individually, not via the landlord. Something doesn't add up.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi

It's just listed as the one address but all the flats are numbered mine is flat 1 so that's the address I give out to people, Flat 1 ....... yet all the post comes to the same house through the same letter box (his included).

When I think about it, it does sound very dodgy and in fact regarding the electricity meter mine is in fact downstairs in a cupboards.. yet I'm a first floor flat...

Hmm.....

I think you should enquire with the council as to whether he ever applied for planning permission to convert the house into flats.

If he's cut corners on that (and other things by the sounds of it) you don't know what else he's cut corners on.

No matter how much you like the place, you need to reconsider if you want to live there after you've found out just how dodgy it is. Apart from anything else, you have your safety to consider.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

christmasrallycag_468x60.gif

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.