I need a Damp Proofing Contractor for Basement Conversion in Leeds

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all I’m a new guy here and need some help, I’ve had three quotes for a basement conversion and I’m totally confused who to use. I have researched the industry and it looks very murky indeed! Should I use a builder instead?

Any expert help would be really appreciated because it’s a very big project involving our life savings plus remortgage and I don’t want to employ a cowboy firm.

Moved you into the General Consumer Issues jonny, you will get more help here.

You should go by recommendation if you are really worried.

Did your quotes come on company paper with badges etc of trade associations they are members of ?

Have they said they are fully insured against all risks ?

All three were from Google searches and all detailed and look professional, but I then started to research them and the industry and was amazed at some facts found on the net and the Association two are part of its very alarming really.

I have full planning permission and already sunk £5k into this with structural engineer’s reports etc and it’s just finding the right contractor I need help with, hoping someone will recommend a decent firm that checks out.

Thanks for your help, and fast reply!

You won't get a recommend on here jonny, the site rules forbid recommending trades persons.

If you have a cellar already, then so will the other houses around, can't you knock on a few doors and ask them !

I'm very sorry regarding rules will go read them now, its a detached house but need to dig out some more of the area, under pinning etc.

Maybe someone may just simply point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

The bigger the firm/company is not always the best

Recommendation is always good

Could you not speak to the structural engineer he or she must know a few reputable company's \ trades

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Try googling basement tanking Leeds.

I can tell you know this is going to be expensive. So take your time.

I would advise asking to see some of their work on site. Perhaps one that is completed, and the job they are working on at the moment.

Talk to their customers whilst there.

Anyone in the construction industry that has a good reputation would not mind this at all. .......... And it weeds out the Cowboys.

Never accept the "cheap price" because every corner in the book will be cut !!

Good Luck.

Thanks Mod, great idea!

Regarding to Google tanking in Leeds I did hence the three quotes. But when I checked out the Surveyors qualifications it was a three day course down their Trade Association. The letters after his name are worthless, it’s a [problem], and an industry expert told me to shred his quote its rubbish. See my problem on who to trust?

Hence I’m looking a field and yes it’s around £40k but I want the job doing as its to be my office.

Thanks Guys

If it's that kind of money it might be worth looking further afield.

Are there any local boards or Facebook pages where you could ask for recommendations. Alternatively see if there's a reputable trade association where you could find a good contractor.

Council is a good route as already advised.

Good luck.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Mod, great idea!

Regarding to Google tanking in Leeds I did hence the three quotes. But when I checked out the Surveyors qualifications it was a three day course down their Trade Association. The letters after his name are worthless, it’s a [problem], and an industry expert told me to shred his quote its rubbish. See my problem on who to trust?

Hence I’m looking a field and yes it’s around £40k but I want the job doing as its to be my office.

Thanks Guys

I agree with you.

The whole industry is "littered" with "Members" of this or that federation. It's WORTHLESS.

It is paying to join a group. I'm a member of none.

Take the structural engineer route

I agree with you.

The whole industry is "littered" with "Members" of this or that federation. It's WORTHLESS.

It is paying to join a group. I'm a member of none.

Take the structural engineer route

Agreed which is why I said reputable - if there is such a thing.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Agreed which is why I said reputable - if there is such a thing.

Agreed.

There are "Good" companies with in these groups that are prepared to pay.

The problem as the OP has discovered is finding the reputable ones.