style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone please give me some advice, my brother came to see me today and told me his landlord had given him a section 8 eviction . He is a private tenant, looks after the property. He pays his rent but it has been about 5 days late 4 times out of the last 6 months. I was wondering is there anything he can do to stop this eviction happening, he suffers from depression and panic attacks. He is a good lad and doesn't mean any harm . When he asked his landlord what would happen to him if he has not found anywhere to live by the time comes to be moving out. The landlord said section 8 is a legal document so he has to be out. Can some one help please.

A couple of other questions that may assist the advice :

When was the tenancy agreement started ?

What sort of tenancy agreement is it ?

Did your brother pay a deposit ?

Is the deposit protected ?

The Section 8 notice should state the grounds under which possession is being sought. This is a list of grounds from the law:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/schedule/2

and a summary of the list (I found with an internet search):

https://www.makeurmove.co.uk/page/Guidance-Notes-Section-8

Have you seen the notice? Are you saying that it is for late rent payments (Ground 11), or are you speculating? Are there any other grounds being used.

Your brother does not have to leave, but LL may seek possession in the courts.

For late payment of rent, the judge does not have to evict. It may be that if your brother were to keep up to date with the rent and/or set up a standing order so it is not late, that the judge may decide not to evice. Iamnotalawyer though.

Shelter advise negotiating with the landlord.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/rent_arrears/eviction_for_rent_arrears

Would your brother be able to set up a standing order to ensure future rent was on time? It would seem that if landlord were persuaded not to take immediate action to evict, he would have one year from the date of the notice to change his mind.

Either way, he does not have to leave unless landlord takes court action.

Shelter make another point which is that failure to keep up with rent payments makes finding future accommodation harder.

s8 g 10 & 11 repo is at discretion of Court, s8 g8 (2 months rent owed at time of hearing) is mandatory repo.

Your brother's mental health will have little bearing on Court's decision.

Is brother in receipt of housing benefit? If so he could request HB is paid direct to LL, but since HB is paid in arrears at end of qualifying period, and not in advance, like rent, I would he should save enough in bank to service the SO & ensure rent is fully covered ie 3 working days before rent due date

Due to his mental health condition they might suspend the order for 42 days max

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.