accrued holiday while off sick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i have recently been off work sick for a month, during this time i had previously booked some annual leave. So it turns out i am off on painkillers etc unable to go on holiday. My company have paid me and docked my holiday entitlement, and cheekily docked me 3 days pay for the period after i am assumed to have 'returned to work from my holiday, when i was obviously sick throughout anyway.

i emailed my h r department who clarified this was how it had been calculated, buy am i not legally entitled to transfer holiday if i am off sick ? My company have avoided answering this ?

Were you signed off sick during that period?

Unfortunately sick leave and pay remains a grey area in UK law as our domestic legislation conflicts with EU requirements. However in my view, it's clear that leave accrues whilst you're on sick, and if you are too sick to take that leave, you should be given the opportunity to reschedule the leave.

The relevant case is Pereda, but this leaflet gives you some information - http://www.cipd.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/22DA862E-21C0-4D99-857E-A70CFE1879F2/0/HolidayspostStringerandPereda.pdf

do you have a company sickness policy you can refer to? If you are slaried then the holiday entitlemnt goes back in the pot but if you dont get sick pay then you need to look at what makes you better off in the longer run. Paid holiday or sick pay? Do you want to take the holiday later?

When EU law conflicts with member state domestic legislation, EU law will always take precedent.

Costa v ENEL, Internationale Handelsgesellschaft, Simmenthal, Factortame II)

It isn't as straightforward as that and ECJ jurisprudence always allows the state a "margin of appreciation" within which it is to implement EU Directives.

It would seem i have up to 2 years to claim this back, i could be leaving my job in next six months, probably best not to make to many waves until then!

Only if there has been a series of incidents and/or a prolonged failure to act. It's a very tricky legal area at the moment - not least because arguably the court doesn't have jurisdiction to award "holidays" - it can only award "holiday pay". If you don't have any equivalent pay owing, then arguably theres no loss of pay, only loss of free time!

It is awkward because i have actually been paid holiday pay when i should have been paid sick pay, the way it has been done i have lost out on 2 weeks holiday and docked a further days pay for continuing to be sick after this 'holiday' period, It isnt the first time i have heard of them doing this to other workers, one who threatened them with legal action just before he left and they reimbursed him automatically

• 1 month later...
One day I hope you run your own business and you will definitely have a different attitude.

Attitude? What for, complaining about a company violating legal requirements?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

stop trolling.....

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.