• Tweets

• god they've got at you haven't they. told you all the usual utter BS. a CCJ vanishes from your credit file on it's 6th B'Day regardless to being paid off or not or paying or not. same with any debt with a registered defaulted date - it vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th B'day regardless. creditfix are Knightsbridge, (they renamed) there are 100's of threads here on Knightsbridge, if i remember rightly 2 of the directors of a certain very big IVA provider were struck off for embezzling £1m's out of debtors. pers i'd stop paying now.  end of . just ignore them all. 99% of your debts are to utterly powerless DCA's and probably were never owed in the first place only goes to firm up my belief from post one..you got had blind. its very easy to deal with the debts even those with CCJ's. can you copy and paste what you credit file says regarding the IVA please?   
    • The airline says it is investigating reports that customers can view other passengers' personal information.View the full article
    • They are finding new ways to cut back on household spending as China’s economy loses steam.View the full article
    • Sorry I meant credit fix - I really wish I'd known this before - kicking myself right now  If they come back to me asking for more money I'll cancel it and start trying to deal with the debt myself let's see what they say  Feeling tempted to cancel it now but scared that some of the debts will do more CCJ's on me and I'll have to wait 6 years again.  2 of the CCJ come of this year and then I'll only have the iva in credit file - effectively if I'd have not took out the iva in 2021 I'd have clear score by now - but then again would I because I would have been hounded the last 3 years, as bad as it is it's saves me lots of headaches whilst my debt was still within the 6 year mark.  I think most of them are near there but in all honesty no point chasing them if I do cancel iva I'd jjst wait for the ones who contact me and then start the relevant letter process on them.  Of over 6 years easy if not still possible to write off. My true victory would be having the iva wiped off my credit file as mis sold or something that way I Don't have to wait till 2027 Other option is to fight back and ask for them to offer the creditors to accept payments so far and use the following method    Will your IVA firm agree to complete your IVA on the basic of funds paid to date? The Guidance lists a lot of factors to be considered in deciding whether a settlement on the basis of funds paid to date should be proposed. You should read the list. But that may not give you any feel for whether they apply to you or not. The following are my thoughts on when an IVA should be treated as settled, not failed. They assume that you have £75 or less to pay a month: if you would currently qualify for a Debt Relief Order, then your IVA should be settled now  There is no point in making your IVA fail and you have to apply for a DRO – it will not generate another penny for your creditors. If you are renting and owe less than £50,000, check the DRO criteria now and talk to National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 about whether you qualify. You may have been told at the start of your IVA that you aren’t eligible – still check now as the DRO criteria have changed, your situation has got worse, and some people were given incorrect information about DROs at the start. if you have no assets that would be realised in bankruptcy (eg a house with equity, car worth over £2000), then your IVA should be settled now Same as (1), there is no point in making you apply for bankruptcy after your IVA fails. if your only asset is a car that is worth less than £8000, then your IVA should be settled now A car that is worth say £5000 would normally be sold in bankruptcy and you would be given a small amount to buy a cheaper car. But your creditors would not get any benefit from this as the Insolvency Service takes the first £8000 raised to cover its own costs. if you have significant assets, the closer you are to the end of the IVA, the less reasonable it is to fail it If you have been paying your IVA for 4 years, you have done your best over a long period. It isn’t your fault you can no longer continue. The fact you may have had equity to release isn’t relevant as that simply isn’t going to be possible. if your situation will clearly improve soon, then it’s unlikely your IVA will be settled I mean real improvements, not hoping that prices fall. If I can get them to accept payment to date or threaten with cancellation hopefully they may accept it -  Other option is to try and borrow money and pay make a full and final offer  Or I can just ignore and hope for the best which I'm very tempted to do especially if they respond to my review with bullying tactics despite me being skint as a fart with no mortgage as renting  It's so stressful but I've just checked the iva agreement from 2021 and it's Cabot 2 accounts Lowell about 5 accounts and then lots of repeats of the same debt with for example zopa and Cabot same amount listed twice -  also loyyds banks but I'm sure that's older than 6 years and not on credit file anyway  If I can somehow remove the iva from my credit file I'd be happy 
    • India has one of the world's fastest growing economies but the benefits are yet to fully reach the poorest.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Legalcare cancellation problem ** Resolved **

rosemaryb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well done Eversir!!! What a great job! Really helps us all so much.

I cancelled via paypal the day after registration. I received a reminder after first month and I immediately emailed in to query. It has been 3 months and it has now been passed to Daniels Silverman collections today. I wanted to ask your advice please, do I just wait it out until it goes to court and present my case?

The only thing I am worried about is that I am planning to apply for a mortgage next year and I obviously do not want anything bad marked against my credit file.

Any advice would be very, very much appreciated.

Also is there a way we can all collaborate and get these guys closed down? They are preying on vulnerable people and it is disgusting! Imagine there are loads of posts and complaints online but think of all the people that just pay it because they are bullied into it and scared. I cannot believe they are allowed to continue trading, especially after not turning up in court and cases ruled against them!

If you want to take control of this, the best thing to do would be for you to begin a small claim against them for breach of contract – being that the term of the contract allowed cancellation within a certain period and that you complied with this and they failed to honour the cancellation clause.

If you claim for a modest amount – say £50 for the time and stress and inconvenience and also for the unlawful sharing of your data to a firm of debt collecting lawyers, this would be enough to get the claim going and it would put legal clear on the spot.

If you wanted to do this then I would suggest that you sent legal care a letter before action giving them 14 days to sort themselves out behave themselves or you will start the action.

Your chances of success are pretty well 100% and if they ignored your LBA and you issued the claim then you would get your claim fee back.

I'm afraid it is this kind of action that is necessary – plus making sure that you discuss it thoroughly on this forum – which will bring it to the attention of other victims and potential victims.

It's up to you. Unfortunately trading standards is not much use. Partly they are under resourced – but also they now seem to have the attitude that they are some kind of national Secret Service – MI7. They are almost completely inaccessible and apparently there are only taking reports from citizens advice – but it is not clear how citizens advice or reporting to them and once reports are made to trading standards, you never hear anything more. It's like wading around in mud

• Confused 1

Hi Rosemaryb, thank you for the kind words :)

I'm not sure what advice I can give that isn't already here. So much of it is determined by your individual situation too, but generally speaking:

- Ignore them until the the sealed court claim arrives

- Don't communicate with Daniels Silverman or any other DCA for that matter.

- Fight them if they are in the wrong and you feel strongly about it. It's not as daunting as it sounds.

Not sure whats happening with that trading standards investigation, but otherwise I guess its up to the public or the press to stand up to them and raise awareness.

----

Sorry Bankfodder, message crossed with yours! Great idea actually.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so very very much Bank Fodder and Eversir for your helpful replies.

Bank Fodder, on your great advice I have drafted an LBA and I wondered if you would be so kind enough to have a skim read and let me know if it looks ok. I tried to message you but it says your message inbox here is full :(

Your help and advice is truly greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rosemary

Rosemary, if you would like to pop your draft on the thread (minus any personal details) then I am sure others would be pleased to proof it for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

New thread started for Rosemary's case including related replies.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi citizenB

Thank you so much for your reply, I was not sure if it was ok to post the letter here just in case Legal Care follow this thread to try and get inside info to come up with further ways to back up their [problem], do you think it is ok to post, am I just being a worry wart lol?

I don't think you need worry even if they were to see the draft, rosemary :) So ok to post up.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks so much citizenB - see draft below, like the others I cancelled direct with Paypal and there is conflicting info on Paypal emails and website i.e. saying "to cancel a subscription login to Paypal and do XYZ" etc., on most instructions it does NOT mention to ALSO contact the company subscribed to in question, however looking back it does mention it one of the emails, however this is very confusing to consumers as it does not mention this on the website or in the first Paypal subscription email and I have taken screenshots of this as proof, so surely a judge would agree this is unfair as the information is not consistent?

Also if this goes to court am I allowed to present all the other complaints as supporting evidence i.e. to show it is clearly confusing for MANY people so something must be wrong? Like I could collect written statements from others and bring copies of all the complaints on forums like this?

DRAFT LETTER

Legal Care

Maritime House

Basin Road North

East Sussex

BN41 1WR

3 November 2014

Letter before court claim

Dear Sir or Madam

Re: Legal Care Subscription Cancellation

I am once again contacting you to advise that I cancelled my account within the trial period. I cancelled on the SAME DAY I signed up for the trial, just a few hours later.

After cancelling I was surprised to still receive a payment reminder from you at the end of the trial period so I immediately contacted you to re-confirm my cancellation and this was ONLY ONE DAY after the trial expiration date.

I have documentation to show I cancelled and to show that I clearly contacted you to reconfirm my cancellation, yet you have continued to chase me and have even passed my details over to a third party collection agency.

Given the explanation provided and the fact that I contacted you to reconfirm cancellation immediately, just 1 day after trial expiration (when I received your payment reminder), I would like confirmation back in writing that my account has finally been cancelled and that I have no fees due to you. I would like a reply as soon as possible to confirm you have received this letter. If you do not agree to my account cancellation then please send me a detailed response explaining why.

To avoid taking court action, I am willing to use Alternative Dispute Resolution to resolve this problem. If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you for £50 in the county court without further notice, for the time wasted, undue stress caused by your disreputable tactics and for passing my personal details to a third party without valid reason or consent. These proceedings may increase your liability for costs.

I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular to paragraph 4 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Generally OK, but the beginning is perhaps a little more convoluted than it needs to be. You only really need to state that you cancelled the contract the same day (via your chosen method, whatever that may be) and you queried their payment reminder more or less straightaway. Try merging those first three paragraphs into something a little shorter perhaps?

Also, is ADR a wise choice in this situation? (genuine question - no idea) I was under the impression that costs money too; not sure if you can claim it back?

Pretty sure you can't use my case as a legal precedent per-say, since it's a small claims matter. Nothing necessarily stopping you refering to it though I don't think.

Just my two cents anyway, others should chime in with better suggestions in due course :)

--------

What about this to begin with:

In response to [DEMAND] sent on [DATE], I am writing to state that I cancelled my account within the 14-day trial period. This cancellation took place the same day the trial started. Despite this action, I received a payment reminder from you at the end of the trial period which I immediately disputed by return email on [DATE].

To re-iterate: I am in possession of documentation to show that I cancelled within the free trial period. You have ignored this information and have continued to chase me for this disputed debt (even going so far to instruct a third party collection agency).

• Confused 1

Thanks so much Eversir, I have made it more concise, revised copy below. The ADR part was in all the templates I found for LBA's so I thought this was something we had to mention, I have amended to mediation for now as I saw it phrased like this in another template but if anyone could advise further on this it would be much appreciated.

DRAFT LETTER REVISION 1

I am once again contacting you to advise that I cancelled my account within the trial period on the SAME DAY I signed up for the trial. I also immediately contacted you to re-confirm my cancellation when I received your payment reminder the day after the trial expiration. I have documentation to show I cancelled and to show that I clearly contacted you to reconfirm my cancellation, yet you have continued to chase me and have even passed my details over to a third party collection agency.

I would like confirmation back in writing that my account has finally been cancelled and that I have no fees due to you. I would like a reply as soon as possible to confirm you have received this letter. If you do not agree to my account cancellation then please send me a detailed response explaining why.

To avoid taking court action, I would be agreeable to mediation to resolve this matter. If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you for £50 in the county court without further notice, for the time wasted, undue stress caused by your disreputable tactics and for passing my personal details to a third party without valid reason or consent. These proceedings may increase your liability for costs.

I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular to paragraph 4 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Thanks so much Eversir, I have made it more concise, revised copy below. The ADR part was in all the templates I found for LBA's so I thought this was something we had to mention, I have amended to mediation for now as I saw it phrased like this in another template but if anyone could advise further on this it would be much appreciated.

In response to [DEMAND] sent on [DATE], I am writing to state that I cancelled my account within the 14-day trial period. This cancellation took place the same day the trial started. Despite this action, I received a payment reminder from you at the end of the trial period which I immediately disputed by return email on [DATE].

To re-iterate: I am in possession of documentation to show that I cancelled within the free trial period. You have ignored this information and have continued to chase me for this disputed debt (even going so far to instruct a third party collection agency).

I must insist that you now confirm, in writing, that the account IS cancelled and that no fees are due to you. Alternatively I require your reasons for disputing the account is cancelled.

I look forward to receiving your response with 7 days from the date of this letter.

My tuppence worth

BCOBS

I like CitB's version.

Keep it as short as possible but maybe still threaten court action. I would not mention a specific amount at this stage though.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

MASSIVE thank you to everyone that gave advice. I wrote the LBA letter and Legalcare replied to say they would close the account as detailed below. I hope this helps anyone else in this situation, fight for what is right and do not let them scare you into paying something that you were duped into. Again thanks all!!!! :)

"You have no documentation from us that your account has been cancelled, however you may have received an email from PayPal following the cancellation of your payment instruction, however this would also have advised you to contact the merchant (us) to cancel your agreement, as merely cancelling the payment instruction does not cancel the agreement with the merchant.

However, as a gesture of goodwill we are willing to accept that it may have been your original intention to cancel your account and we will therefore arrange for your account to be closed with immediate effect and we have instructed Daniels Silverman to cease their collection activities on your account. No payment is required from you.

We trust that this is a satisfactory resolution to the matter for you."

Excellent news I will amend title to reflect this :)

BCOBS

Congratulations.

I do wonder if Legalcare read these threads, saw yours then saw that Eversir was assisting then thought about the slapping they got and capitulated before they got another one

:whoo:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Congratulations.

I do wonder if Legalcare read these threads, saw yours then saw that Eversir was assisting then thought about the slapping they got and capitulated before they got another one

:whoo:

One can but wonder... ;)

Hi Rosemary,

Delighted to hear your result with this.

We know for sure that Legalcare was following some of the threads and I think Paul Careless posted himself. However, they may not be following every thread that is started about Legalcare problems.

It really doesn't matter what they say about whether you received confirmation of cancellation from Legalcare or not - what matters is that they've agreed to drop the matter.

Great result !! :whoo: