Consistently Working Above Contract Hours - Rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have a contract of 16 hours per week. My average hours worked comes to just over 30 each week. I have always done about this since I started working there 3 years ago. Do I have any rights as to getting my contract hours upped, or do I just have to settle for what I am currently doing?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you asked your employer about recognising your longer hours?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

They want to get everyone's average hours down. They are employing more people to do so. I will ask the union also to see what can be done. I just wondered what the lay of the land was.

Thanks for the reply.

Your union will be better placed to advise you as they will have access to any partnership agreements that give you extra rights above and beyond the statutory requirements.

Good job on being a union member though :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Unfortunately many employers do this and they don't pay overtime or give time in lieu.

A friend of mine works for a well known coffee shop head office as a manager.

35 hours contract and he works an average of 60.

He's also on permanent standby at weekend and he can only leave the country if authorised.

We sat down one day and calculated that he would be better off working as a barista on just above minimum wage!!!

When he pointed this out to his boss he was told he could leave and someone else would happily take his place.

Unfortunately this is a reality and unless you gain hard evidence of the hours worked and take them to et, there is not much you can do.

Even if you have evidence of working overtime, they could simply say that you weren't able to finish your 'reasonable' workload on time and had to stay longer.

TU could be corrupted and just brush this under the carpet.

Time to get another job, unless you can convince them to pay you.

Good luck

I used to have an 8 hour contract at the store I worked in and always work 28+ hours a week.

But you could have asked to work only 8, and they would have had to provide at least 8 hours work. A lot of retailers give low hour contracts so that at quiet times of the year they can drop back to the minimum.