DWP Appointee Concerns

jazztheman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been appointed to be my mother's DWP appointee. My mother who is 94 recently went into a care home and is blind, so cannot handle any forms etc. I thought that being a DWP appointee was just handling her financial affairs and DWP administration.

However, reading what it entails it appears that my mother's benefits will be paid into my account, is this correct? I also read that I must not access my mother's account, which I have been doing for a number of years because she appointed me to be a third party name on the account because of her problems. I am also currently going through a power of attorney application for my mother, which will make it very difficult if I am not allowed to access her personal bank account.

Perhaps this information is incorrect? because when I was interviewed by the DWP to be appointee none of this was mentioned.

becoming a DWP appointee does not give power to access your mother's bank account in itself

however the other things such as becoming 3rd party on account or PoA can give you such a power

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

According to: https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

As an appointee you’re responsible for making and maintaining any benefit claims. You must:

• spend the benefit (which is paid directly to you) in the claimant’s best interests

It is a good idea to open a separate account in your name specifically for the purpose of receiving payments from the DWP. You have a duty to manage these funds purely for the benefit of the claimant - Having a separate account for these funds reduces the risk of any accusations of impropriety and also makes accounting much easier.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

As an appointee you’re responsible for making and maintaining any benefit claims. You must:

spend the benefit (which is paid directly to you) in the claimant’s best interests

When I was interviewed by the DWP to become my mum's appointee, there was no mention that my mum's entitlements would be paid directly to my bank account, the DWP also didn't take my bank information. Which is all very strange?

It is a good idea to open a separate account in your name specifically for the purpose of receiving payments from the DWP. You have a duty to manage these funds purely for the benefit of the claimant - Having a separate account for these funds reduces the risk of any accusations of impropriety and also makes accounting much easier.

Sound advice, I am the 'named person' for my sister and opened a separate account for receipt of DWP payments and paying care home fee's ect.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert