• Tweets

• Thanks for that. I will give them till Tuesday. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated. 
    • Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Letter from CRS, Credit Resolution Services

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm just after some advice really, back in April I cancelled my membership that I had with a gym due to a recent work redundancy at the time, and at the time I stupidly thought that just cancelling the direct debit would be the end of it. Anyway, I got a phone call a couple of weeks later from the gym stating that they had detected that my direct debit had been cancelled and I discussed the matter with them, they were totally fine about my reasons to cancel but they just wanted a £30 fee to cancel the membership and be done with it.

Unfortunately at the time I did not have the spare money and I explained this to them and I was told by the member of staff that this was totally fine and gave me 4 weeks grace to try and get myself back on track to be able to afford the fee.

Anyway, 4-5 weeks had passed and I stupidly forgotten all about it & I never even heard from them at all after that, I also managed to find another job at the same time too. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago (10th July), I received a letter from this company called Credit Resolution Serves - stating that they've been "employed" by my old gym to chase up arrears and the fact that this is because I've ignored all previous letters that I was supposedly sent (this is total rubbish, as I never heard from the gym again and I've never received a letter from this CRS company before!)

Anyway, the bottom line is that somehow they have managed to cook up a calculation that in total, I now owe them £216.50 !! They have stated that this needs to be paid immediately and if I pay it early, they will offer a discount from the outstanding balance.

There is no way that I am paying these con artists £216.50. However, I am at a bit of a loss end as to what I do now and how I should proceed, I haven't had the time to contact them yet as it stands because I work 8.30 to 5.30 Monday - Friday and their office is only open on them days between 9 -5. I really need to do something now as they are texting me on average 2-3 times a week now and I am getting sick of it.

I understand fully that I should of been more vigilant and more aware of this beforehand so it didn't get to this extent, but I feel that their ridiculous fees and the total figure that I apparently owe them is absolutely scandalous. I'm half tempted to go back to my old gym and try and work this out and offer them £50 upfront (£20 extra is included as a gesture) to resolve the matter and be done with it but I imagine that they would probably won't want to know because they have already sold the debt on.

If any of you on here could offer me some advice then I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks - Liam.

Okay, first off dont worry.

Dont deal with the DCA, they normally just blow a lot of hot air.

Did you get the 4 week grace and £30 in writing?

They cant put this on your Credit File so dont worry.

Honest suggestion, deal direct with the gym. Get it sorted :)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Many thanks for your fast response and advice, I'll try not to worry but I am a bit of a worrier at times haha. I know that it probably won't go to court and I know that they won't come to my address as I actually moved away back in May and therefore this letter was redirected from my old address.

I've just in fact been up to the gym but unfortunately I did not get anywhere as such but they were quite helpful, even though the manager there is not all that clued up with this sort of thing in general as it will be the gym's head office that sorts out this sort of thing, he has reassured me that he is going to contact them on Monday regarding my file and see how they can proceed with this but he said that it may be a possibility that they could just take a one off payment and finish it completely, and it won't be anywhere near the £200+ figure. We will see though!

When they gave me the 4 weeks grace, it was solely over the phone and not in writing unfortunately but after that phone call - they never got in touch with me again and then fast forward to 2 weeks ago is when I first got that letter from CRS.

Liam

Hi Liam,

You've not said what gym this was although I assume the admin was handled by Harlands.

Because of the redundancy, you had the right to cancel the agreement and cancelling the DD mandate is considered adequate notice of your intention. Having said that, it would of course have been better if you confirmed matters in writing. That way, you have proof of what's been said. Keep to letters or emails from here on, and stay off the phone completely.

The amount demanded by Harlands/CRS represents the balance due for the minimum term of the agreement plus admin charges. This is NOT payable in your case.

I suggest you write to Harlands/CRS saying you cancelled the DD mandate and informed the gym verbally of the redundancy. However, you now realise you should pay one final month's fee to the gym for the required notice period.

Tell them you'll pay this to the gym direct when you can afford it, Then pay it off asap perhaps in 2 or 3 instalments if you can't pay it in one go.

Also tell Harlands/CRS that you will not be paying any admin fees as they are unenforceable penalties.

Let us know what further demands you get and we'll advise as necessary.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Liam,

You've not said what gym this was although I assume the admin was handled by Harlands.

Because of the redundancy, you had the right to cancel the agreement and cancelling the DD mandate is considered adequate notice of your intention. Having said that, it would of course have been better if you confirmed matters in writing. That way, you have proof of what's been said. Keep to letters or emails from here on, and stay off the phone completely.

The amount demanded by Harlands/CRS represents the balance due for the minimum term of the agreement plus admin charges. This is NOT payable in your case.

I suggest you write to Harlands/CRS saying you cancelled the DD mandate and informed the gym verbally of the redundancy. However, you now realise you should pay one final month's fee to the gym for the required notice period.

Tell them you'll pay this to the gym direct when you can afford it, Then pay it off asap perhaps in 2 or 3 instalments if you can't pay it in one go.

Also tell Harlands/CRS that you will not be paying any admin fees as they are unenforceable penalties.

Let us know what further demands you get and we'll advise as necessary.

Please accept my apologies for the really late response regarding this matter, I've been mega busy recently and only just thought to update this thread with any further progress!

With regards to your above question, yes my old gym membership was handled by Harlands. Since my last post on here, I had my old gym call me a couple of weeks back again stating they finally heard back from CRS themselves regarding this matter CRS did not want to know about me settling this matter with the gym directly and therefore the gym could not do anything else to help me out unfortunately and they even admitted to me that CRS's policy and procedure of hassling and harassing people like this is quite frankly disgusting.

Not only that, but to my surprise the guy on the phone who worked for the gym told me to follow this bold piece of advice - which is to ignore all future contact with CRS be it the letters, phones calls & text's that are from CRS as they technically cannot do anything and after a couple of months they will forget about it and stop :jaw: I couldn't believe what I was hearing lol.

Anyway, that was 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've had about another 5 text messages from CRS and another letter from them last week which basically is just a re-print of my original letter than I received from them and still chasing the same amount too.

I have still not sent them mail contact at all in relation to this matter but if the contact gets more regular and more harassing then I may just do that. I may not be taking the best route as most of you may agree but I really do not want to have to retaliate but loosing my temper with them and sending them a really long winded & lengthy letter...

Liam

Hi Liam,

The advice from the gym staff member may be reasonably correct but you should cover yourself better, rather than simply ignoring CRS.

No long-winded letter is needed and it can be as simple as this, sent to Harlands:-

Dear sir or madam,

Membership at xxxxx Gym

I refer to my membership at xxxx Gym which started in xxxx month xxxx year.

In xxxx month, I was made redundant. I told the gym staff and cancelled the DD mandate, both actions being acceptable methods of cancelling the gym agreement.

I realise I should have paid one further month's fee for the notice period and am willing to offer this to you now, for 14 days only. If you confirm in writing that you accept my offer in full settlement of all I owe, I will pay it promptly.

If you fail to accept within 14 days, or you insist I pay a higher amount, or you insist I pay your Admin Fees, I will pay you nothing.

Your Admin Fees are not lawful or enforceable and I'll not pay them.

Yours faithfully,

Send that to Harlands so you cover your back.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I agree with you 100%, I don't want to have to go down the route of totally ignoring it.

Thank you very much for posting up the simple response letter as well, I will get that filled out tomorrow & I will post it out to them :)

Liam