Electoral Register

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I decided to look myself up and noticed that I wasn't on the electoral register. So I've just re-signed up (third time in 5 years) and made sure that I wasn't on the "open register".

Is there anything I can do if people decide to get my details from the "non open register" for business reasons? i.e. debt collectors etc...?

Cheers,

A

Electoral register

What is the full register?

The law makes it compulsory to provide information to an electoral registration officer for inclusion in the full register. The details you are likely to have to provide are your name, address, nationality and age. The full register is updated every month and published once a year, and is used by electoral registration officers across the country for purposes related to elections. Political parties, MPs and public libraries also have the full register.

It is also used by local authorities for their duties relating to security, law enforcement and crime prevention, for example checking entitlement to council tax discount or housing benefit. It may also be used by the police for law enforcement purposes.

It can be sold to government departments to help in their duties such as the prevention or detection of crime. They can also use it for vetting job applicants and employees if this is required by law. Credit reference agencies are allowed to buy the full version of the register so that lenders can check the names and addresses of people applying for credit and carry out identity checks to help stop money laundering.

It is a crime for anyone who has a copy of the full register to pass information from this register onto others if they do not have a lawful reason to see it.

What is the edited register?

The edited register contains the same information as the full register. It is not compulsory to have your details on the edited version of the register and you will be given the chance to opt out on the voter registration form which is sent to every household in the country once a year. The edited register is updated and published once a year and can be sold to any person, organisation or company and used for any number of purposes, including direct marketing.

How can I opt out of the edited register?

If you do not want your details on the electoral register made more widely available, you will need to show you do not want this by marking or ticking the box on the electoral registration form sent to every household once a year by your local authority. However, you can also opt out at any time of year by contacting your electoral registration officer.

It is important to understand that if you do not indicate you do not want your information to be made more widely available then, by default, the personal details you provide on the voter registration form will be included on both the full and the edited versions of the register. This means they will be made available to anyone who wants to buy the edited version.

In addition, those who believe that having their name and address on the electoral register would put them, or anyone who lives with them, at risk can apply for anonymous registration. Ask your electoral registration officer for further information.

Thanks Conniff,

I was more interested in my rights when people use my data for commercial purposes whilst I have specifically applied for the Full Register and not the edited one. In the past DCA's have blatantly ignored this and used my details anyway.

What should I do if this continues to happen?

Regards,

Adrian Sluijters

The Electoral Registration Officer makes and keeps 2 versions of the Electoral Register, the full and the edited.

The full register lists everyone entitled to vote. It can be checked at our office by prior appointment. Only certain people and organisations can have copies of the full register and they can only use it for specified purposes.

These include electoral purposes (including use by candidates and political parties), for law enforcement and also for use by credit reference agencies (so they can confirm you live where you say you do). The law says who can have a copy and what they can use it for.

The edited register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for them to be excluded from the edited register. The edited register can be bought by anyone who asks for a copy and they can use it for any purpose.

Anyone can inspect a copy of the full register at the Civic Centre under supervision, but they would have to know your address to be able to find your name. It would be very difficult for them to find your address by just knowing your name.

It is against the law for anyone to use the full electoral register for any purpose not provided for within the Representation of the People (Amended) Regulations 2002.

Also, from this year instead of the head of the household filling in the form, it will be the individual who does it so instead of one form to the house, it will be one form to each person in the house.

We've used the head of the house system for hundreds of years, so why change it and in such an expensive way.

Also, from this year instead of the head of the household filling in the form, it will be the individual who does it so instead of one form to the house, it will be one form to each person in the house.

We've used the head of the house system for hundreds of years, so why change it and in such an expensive way.

Generates more quango jobs.

David

I am on the full register but still get PLENTY of junk. Also l agree WHY change something thats not broken.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.