Benefit Fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

But they can use that information they see on there to report someone for benefit fraud? Seems a bit extreme. Someone I know has their FB location set to Tokyo, Japan. Could an adviser then report that person for claiming income support while supposedly living in Tokyo based only off Facebook information?

Not but if it states on facebook works for "whatever" or "in a relationship with whoever" which is verifiable, then it would make sense for them to report that though and then further evidence can be sought.

But they can use that information they see on there to report someone for benefit fraud? Seems a bit extreme. Someone I know has their FB location set to Tokyo, Japan. Could an adviser then report that person for claiming income support while supposedly living in Tokyo based only off Facebook information?

Yes, of course they can - just like anyone else who can see your public Facebook information. Now, that doesn't mean it would be conclusive or anything - if the only evidence is an FB update or whatever, then I doubt the fraud guys would be looking to investigate a potential crime of the century. But people need to be aware that whatever is posted publicly on FB is just that: posted publicly.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes, of course they can - just like anyone else who can see your public Facebook information. Now, that doesn't mean it would be conclusive or anything - if the only evidence is an FB update or whatever, then I doubt the fraud guys would be looking to investigate a potential crime of the century. But people need to be aware that whatever is posted publicly on FB is just that: posted publicly.

...and people on the employment forum here are regularly getting into trouble for posting their thoughts on Facebook.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

...and people on the employment forum here are regularly getting into trouble for posting their thoughts on Facebook.

HB

Yes, I'm sure they are. It's something people really do need to be careful about, and I'm not sure everyone's aware. Posting something in a public part of FB is more or less the same as advertising on a billboard in town. Not that FB doesn't have its uses - I'm on there quite a lot. But I always assume everyone is reading.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Indeed. I have even seen one (thankfully ex) colleague dismissed for some FB comments - Some were not even public !

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

So glad I've never got into facebook! I'm too private a person to have my life and thoughts 'out there'. Also never used twitter - who cares what random thoughts I have, I'm really not that interesting. 'currently watching the hunger games sequel' - anyone care?

A good rule of thumb, never post anything on line you wouldn't want your gran or your boss to see (or a DWP advisor to get the wrong idea about....or the right idea)

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop