Slander/Libel Law?

Carl_B
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a large collection of hybrid plants and

I'm a member of a number of online forum's and

facebook groups for this group of hybrid plants and

I want to write some short notes on different commercial sellers to help new members

some of these sellers are known to take money and then cease all contact with the buyer

or not send anything for 6 months or send absolute rubbish..

. now I have not personally purchased from a couple of these sellers so if I write something along the lines of

Buy it & Scarper - Large nursery based in [EU Country] which has been known not to send any plants for months on end

or at all and will ignore customers who email them and also threaten legal action if they don't remove disparaging comments from facebook - AVOID

now if I haven't personally bought from them where do I stand?

obviously if I have purchased form them then I can give a personal experience account.

Many thanks in advance!

It all depends on what information you have to back up any claims and how watertight you want to be.

If, for example your forum members had experienced problems then you could write :-

Buy it & Scarper - Large nursery based in [EU Country] which has been reported by a number of forum members not to send any plants for months on end or at all, and it is claimed then ignored emails from those customers and threatened legal action were they not to remove disparaging comments from Facebook. Based on those reports I would probably avoid purchasing from them[/Quote]

This would keep the information factual rather than speculative - you have seen reports that people have had problems - you are not saying (nor to be fair do you KNOW) that ALL customers have had problems, and there is a suggestion that the company do not like negative information on social media. You are also saying that your personal information based on the anecdotal information available is that you would choose not to buy from them. Nothing wrong with that at all, whereas to suggest that they rip off all customers and that everybody should avoid them would be open to a challenge.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Defamation and Libel

Libel is Written, Slander is spoken

In context as to online forums, a High Court ruling in 2009 rulled that defamation on an internet bulitin board is slander rather than Libel.

The simple answer is to be able to prove what you state. You say "which has been known" That is hearsay and subjective. You can only put up comments that have directly affected you in which you can substantiate. The right to Free speech and expression are qualified rights and not absolute

In context as to online forums, a High Court ruling in 2009 rulled that defamation on an internet bulitin board is slander rather than Libel.

Sorry but I don't believe that this was the state of the law in the end - but anyway, you need to see the new Defamation Act 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation_Act_2013

The first point of contact for a claim (if it were to happen) would be with the owner of the forum/website. I would therefore check your comments with the admin/site team of the forums before posting them publicly.

Some forum owners are very sensitive about possible defamatory comments being posted by users.

Capquest, I think you might be a little out of date with your link.

New Defamation Bill was released 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18005317

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25551640

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

As an ordinary member of the public, you can make comments about any company in regard to the service they offer. As long as the comments are fair and based on what you believe to be true, do not suggest any illegal behaviour (without definite proof) and allow for a right to respond, then there will be no libel.

Companies threaten all sorts of action in regard to online comments, because they can be very damaging to online trade. Just make sure comments are based on what you have experienced or been told about the service offered. At the end of your comments, you could highlight how these companies could respond to the forum comments.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread