charges against a property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello there my dad and his wife have recently split up and she is moving to spain with her new partner.

while they were married for 30 years his wife accumulated £25k debt which has been charged against the house five years ago.

all the debt was in his wife's name will he be liable for the debt now if he sells the house?

she has said she wants no money from the sale of the house but also confirms she wont be paying the charges against the house?

this is all new to both my dad and I and don't know who to speak to or what to do.

any advice would be greatly received thanks.

HI and welcome to CAG.

In view of the charging order on property, I have moved you to the general legal forum where the guys will be along to help as soon as they are available.

I assume the house is/was in joint names...

if so sadly the CO's will be met from any sale.

regardless to it not being 'his' debt

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I assume the house is/was in joint names...

if so sadly the CO's will be met from any sale.

regardless to it not being 'his' debt

dx

yes its in both names, his wife has said she will not continue to make the payments. can they make him sell the house?

If the property was held as a 'tenancy in common', the charging order should only affect her share. If the property was held as a 'joint tenancy' which is more likely in a husband/wife situation, my basic understanding of land ownership is that a charging order will 'sever' the interests of each person in the property thereby turning it into a 'tenancy in common' where each person owns 50% of the property.

Putting it simply, after the charging order was granted, most likely your dad and his wife then owned 50% of the property each. Assuming the CCJ and charging order are in the wife's name only, if the property is sold I think the 25k would need to be paid out of her share but shouldn't affect his share.

As part of the divorce process your dad should consider putting in place a written agreement setting out what will happen to his and her assets. She has said she doesn't want any money from the sale of the house but if you don't get a proper agreement there is nothing to stop her coming back and asking for that money (and more) later.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS