Few questions re electricity SSE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, few background info:

I have a joint tenancy with another person. Contract with SSE is only in his name.

He is being threatened with disconnection due to high bills. After the latest bill in Feb this year he owes Southern Electric £1.5k.

He tried several times to arrange repayment plan but everytime he did SSE wanted more than he could afford so it's well behind now. All repayment plans failed as SSE wouldn't negotiate and acknowledge he could only pay what he could only pay...

We just got a letter today saying that we will get disconnected shortly. Also stating that alternative is to install pay as you go meter, and it would cost a lot of money! Last thing we need is to add up to the bill! I am on ESA and housing benefits and cannot really spunk out a lot of money as I haven't worked for more than a year. This entire situation just adds up to my depression and anxieties....

They said if he tries to switch providers they will block it! They're within their rights to do so.

My questions are:

1) How to negotiate with SSE and arrange repayment plan? At this point they're asking for £250/month. Too much!

2) Is there any 'safe period' by law that they cannot perform disconnection of electricity services?

3) Only he (the other tenant) has a contract with SSE. They will block him if he tries to change providers. How does the situation look for me? Can I change providers or get a contract with new provider?

im not too sure if SEE do an energy trust grants most of the other big 6 do it might be best to phone them up and see if they do this as the grant may be able clear the debt for you

they can stop you switching to other provider due to the amount owed however if its under £500 some of the big 6 do let you switch but it has to be under £500 that you owe

My questions are:

1) How to negotiate with SSE and arrange repayment planlink3.gif? At this point they're asking for £250/month. Too much!

they usually stick there heels in at this point these big energy company's what they will do is give you an amount of what they feel you should pay and they are not very negotiable on that

2) Is there any 'safe period' by law that they cannot perform disconnection of electricity services?

Disconnection

Your fuel supplier can't cut you off without sending you a disconnection notice first. They can't send you a disconnection notice until at least 28 days after they send your bill. They must give you at least seven days notice, in writing, before they disconnect you. In practice, it's unlikely you'll be disconnected, as long as you can pay for your fuel and agree to pay something off towards the arrears. You may have to accept the instalment of a prepayment meter. you can't sort out the problem with the supplier directly, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. This also applies if the disconnection is through a failure of your prepayment meter. Where appropriate, the Citizens Advice consumer helpline will refer the problem to Consumer Futures. If you are not happy with the result, you can contact the Ombudsman Services: Energy.

Disconnection – vulnerable customers

Some groups of customers may have extra protection from being disconnected. This may apply to you if you:

are of pensionable age

have long-term ill-health

are disabled

have severe financial problems.

If you're in one of these groups of people, make sure the fuel company knows this when you get in touch with them.

If you can't understand or act on the advice given, for example, because of personal circumstances or the complexity of the problem, you are considered to be a vulnerable customer. If you're considered to be a vulnerable customer and can't sort out the problem with the supplier directly, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. Where appropriate, they will refer the problem to Consumer Futures. If you are not happy with the result, you can contact the Ombudsman Services: Energy.

if all else fails a date when they have been to court to gain access to your property to fit a pre payment meter an engineer will come with a lock smith if needed so its better to be in on the day when they say they are coming its easier to be in so they dont have to force entry to your property.

once they have installed the pre patent meter they will set an amount each week or day to recover the money owed if the amount is too big and you cant afford it they usually adjust it to what you can afford but unless you can pay a large amount off up front for the debt currently owed the will continue to install the pre payment meeter

3) Only he (the other tenant) has a contract with SSE. They will block him if he tries to change providers. How does the situation look for me? Can I change providers or get a contract with new provider?

im not too sure about this one to be honest they might ask you for prof of when you moved into the property etc ect but i would not advise changing the name on the supply to yours just to avoid the debt