Dispute over charges, now bailiffs being sent.

Lucy197
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Really hope someone can help. I'm at my wits end. Basically, I cancelled an insurance policy mid term in Nov 2011. Over a year later I started to receive solicitors letters saying I owed charges amounting to £570. I didn't understand where this had come from and asked for a breakdown of charges. They were sent in a confusing format that even my solicitor couldn't understand. Cut a long story short despite negotiations and trying to compromise they wouldn't budge. I hired a solicitor and they have ignored him. They issued a letter to me stating their intention to file with the courts. I passed this to my solicitor where it should have gone in the firs place, again he wrote to them several times to no avail. I haven't heard anything for 6 months so presumed they had let it drop. Today my solicitor informs me that bailiffs have been authorised to come and seize the amount due now £1000. How can this be right? I haven't been given the opportunity to negotiate or give my version of events. My solicitor says we can go to court but the amount owed may rise to £5000 so better to pay but why should I? Please help :-((

Were you paying monthly? Annually?

Did you ever demand an easy to read breakdown of the debt? Sounds like you are dealing with a solicitor for rent. Bailiffs cannot become involved unless there has been a CCJ in your name, and you have failed to pay it. If you never got the paperwork, and the CCJ is valid, then you can simply get a set aside app in ( as the claimant obviously knows your current address), and reset the entire court procedure.

As for the amount being raised,it sounds like unfair charges are being added on, and your own solicitor wants even more money for himself.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I was paying monthly for the insurance but cancelled after 3 months. I asked several times for a breakdown of the charges and explained I didn't understand them. I have no CCJ that I know of but my solicitor said they had got a court order without either of us knowing. My own solicitor hasn't issued any charges yet and has been the family solicitor for years so there's no unfair additions on that part.

Thanks for your reply

What type of insurance was it. For example, for monthly car insurance, you get it on finance. Even if you cancel half way through, you still have to pay the finance company the remainder of the money. After all, they paid out in full to the insurer.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D