Big Motoring World @BigMotoringWrld – Skoda Octavia 2021, 56,863 miles, returned by customer for defects – back on sale

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 93 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

May be an image of car

Of course the issues with this car may have been fixed – but if you're thinking of buying a car from Big Motoring World, maybe you should take special care if you are looking at this Skoda – and maybe before you buy anything at all from them you should have a look at the complaints on Facebook and on this forum.

Apparently Trading Standards may be taking an interest in Big Motoring World according to reports on Facebook

this is a big national company with lots of branches. I'm sure there are many satisfied customers all over the country but it seems that when things go wrong, they become very curmudgeonly about respecting your consumer rights.

It's not clear whether this is simply branch related because of poor local management or this is some kind of company policy trickling down from the top.

One would hope that it is simply some local problems.

When you check out Big Motoring World – you should look specifically at reports about the branch from which you are proposing to purchase your vehicle.

If you're thinking about getting a warranty then follow this link to what we have to say about extended warranties. You are effectively being sold duplicate rights. You are already adequately cover under the Consumer Rights Act.

Selling you a warranty is a clever way of making you pay in advance for any repairs that you might need to your vehicle even though those repairs are probably the responsibility of the retailer.

It's a nice little earner!

And this is the story behind the car – copied from the story about it on Facebook

£17299 CX21ZPM SKODA OCTAVIA HYBRID ESTATE PURCHASED 15 DEC 2023

• Gear selector fault = engine management light causing the brakes to release at random intervals
  • Rear right brake grinding and scored
  • 1 key not working battery flat
  • 2nd Key battery flat
  • Locking Wheel nut key missing
  • Tyres on rear mismatched tyre tread pattern and 3mm tread causing excessive road noise and loss of traction in icy weather
  • Brake fluid change overdue
  • Paperwork including V5 and other documents lost

On handover a container of fuel was said to have been added yet zero miles on dashboard

I took delivery of the car on the Friday 15th December 2023 I refused the extra 3 year warranty at £1900

I was told both keys worked and a canister of fuel had been put in the car.

On leaving the showroom the car read zero miles of petrol and zero miles of electric, but I did get to the fuel station.

The brakes did sound very bad but I didn't know if this was what a hybrid was supposed to sound like.
I woke next morning and had a look at the brake discs, looking through the wheel spokes , 3 were OK, one was scored and I thought that the noise I could hear was a worn out brake pad grinding on the disk.

It was at that point I found that only one key worked and a fault warning was on the dashboard, a gearbox fault which was intermittent.

I took the car back to the showroom on the Saturday 16th December to be told no-one there could help me , i asked to see a manager and she changed the battery on the key and told me she would book the car in on Monday and provide me with a courtesy car, and she would ring to confirm on Monday 18th December…..She never called.

But the main issue is the Big Assist manager at Leeds who somehow was connected with the disappearance of my paperwork and my spare key , ....Nat Franklin ...

I did manage to get through to aftersales on the 12th attempt , the previous 11 attempts resulted in the phone line disconnecting before being answered, and a call to the only line in service, sales, Georgie, was generally unhelpful and also would not transfer my call. On the 12th attempt to get in touch with after sales the phone did connect, and the person I spoke with was quite frankly rude and unhelpful.

She told me to drive the car to Kwik Fit for a free brake check, but would not authorize repairs if they were needed.

So I travelled to the BIG Leeds showroom after work and there I encountered no help either.

They refused to accept my car , refused to accept my keys and would not inspect the car. And, if I left the car on site , they wouldnt be liable for its safe keeping , and no , they had no idea which manager I had spoken to on Saturday that had promised to get this mess sorted out.

As the car not only had brake issue and also a gearbox issue , I considered the car undriveable, and had the vehicle recovered under the warranty in the interests of safety to my home address as the site could not guarantee the safety of my car to be roadworthy ,and not guarantee the safety of the car if left on site.

I phoned after sales again and asked them to book the car on under warranty for the repairs, yes of course, they could get it in on the 2nd January.(14 days away) WHAT ?

what was I supposed to do over Christmas with no car , I'm terribly sorry sir there's nothing we can do.

I rejected the car under the consumer rights act 2015

Several times they demanded that I drive the car to their showroom despite being aware that I considered the car to be in a dangerous condition, I refused.

They eventually trailered the car away,.

On 29th December they contacted me and told me that they had turned the engine management light off claiming it was a historic fault, which it cannot be, and also said the brakes were 100 % despite a grinding noise and scored brake discs.

They said that they would have an independent inspection, and that was carried out on the 29th December however as they had cleared the management light from the cars memory, the car showed no fault. And my rejection was rejected.

I was then contacted and told that the car was fault free and must be collected or storage fees would be added at £42 per day.
I reluctantly collected the car on the 13th January 2024

Immediately I noticed that all of the paperwork that I had left with the car was missing, V5, handover sheet, receipt, service history,Green Slip.

These are now deemed lost, however the after sales department deny ever seeing them, basically calling me a liar.

I drove the car home but approaching a t junction the cars brakes suddenly released and the car jumped out of the junction narrowly missing a passing car.

The next morning the 2nd key failed and the engine management light came on with the gearbox fault.

I booked the car into the main dealer for a health inspection who told me that the gear fault was causing the car to not know what gear it was in and releasing the brakes at inappropriate times thinking it needed to set off.

They said the car was dangerous to drive and should not be driven off their site.

They also highlighted other faults that I had not noticed, locking wheel nut key missing, mismatched tyres and 3mm tread on one tyre, advising this should be changed, and that the brake fluid change was overdue.

I have once again had the car recovered to their site, and, for the 2nd time I have rejected the car.

Due to their negligence and unprofessional behavior they put me in danger and almost caused a collision with another car. I consider this company to be negligent, dishonest, untrustworthy and try everything possible to avoid having to fix a car , even when its under warranty.

I have finally been paid out despite them losing the v5 and the spare key , which miraculously turned up after I made a bit of a fuss