Roofer did shoddy work and has now filed court claim against me

Kinger122
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So should the overlap be even more than centurion say, especially as the pitch is less than 15?

I still have not received a response from the building inspector. I have the feeling he just wants the "easy way out." I am pretty sure the builder has arranged for the inspector to come along with him when he decides to come and "fix the flashing." I don't really feel like the inspector is going to be on my side here.

Building Inspector has got his "Hands Tied".

Building Regs. As per architects drawings and Spec.

He can't deviate.

On another point.

When the "roof timbers" were first fitted (prior to firing pieces being fitted).

What was the "roof pitch" at that stage ?

10 degrees ?

• Haha 1

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kinger needs some legal input, sounds like roofer man needs his money, bit concerned that this may go horribly wrong if Kinger doesn't get all this information from f16 passed on to someone.

Pay a reputable roofer to be on site to point out all the flaws ( f16 can see them from a few photo's, so shouldn't be too difficult) and oversee all the works as per the original contract.

Maybe contact the court and tell them roofer is planning only to fix Velux windows and do nothing else.

Tell the court everything you now know, at least it's on paper somewhere if you need to sue roofer at a later date, if you have any problems.

Kinger

Unless some of the "Legal Crew" give different advise.

I would Email this "Clown" and give a date towards the end of the month.

Or the start of next month.

I've hit the "report" key for assistance.

Max overlap is 110mm

Like I said I don't do legal.

You need contact from the architect via Email then an urgent visit from Building Control.

If you can't get the former then we will just have to "Wing it".

Yeah sorry F16 I keep forgetting. Ill ring building control again tomorrow and try the architect. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

Bank Holiday tomorrow and Monday.

That's why "Smart Boy" said the 22nd.

That's also why "We" wait for "Legal input or Site Team Re. Your post # 297

Anything you could do in the meantime ?........

Yeah " Flip the cap on another Beer" and enjoy !!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Who told you that ???

I've got my money on the roofer not the architect.

The Roofer told me that he was putting the roof to 15 degrees with the firings. I forgot yesterday that it is the easter weekend, so I won't be able to get in touch with anyone until Tuesday.

I am going to send the following. Can anyone comment.

"With regards to my previous email I have already informed you that I will be ensuring the building inspector fully inspects and evaluates the condition of the roof before you come to carry out any repairs. I feel it is not appropriate for you to arrive and repair the flashings, as the inspector has not actually carried out a proper inspection of the roof. May I also remind you that the judge has ordered that the following:

"The claimant shall at his expense inspect the Velux windows and rectify any aspect of the installation likely to result in water ingress.

This means that it is not just the velux windows which require attention. As I informed you in court there is wood which is exposed and there are other aspects of the roof which need rectifying. This is including but not limited to the following

• Guttering- The pipes from the main roof cannot dump water directly onto the centurion tiles (see centurion installation instructions which clearly explain this)
  • Ventilation- You have provided no ventilation in the soffit or eaves.
  • Tile overlaps- Many of the tiles do not meet the requirement of 100mm and 110mm overlap. One row of 16 courses was measure and only 4 tiles actually met the requirements
  • Verge Tiles- These should be installed along each gable end.

Do you even know the make and model of my Velux window and flashings? Do you know if repair is even possible? I am saving you time and money by allowing the building inspector to first inspect the roof. I do not want you to incur unecessary costs coming backwards and forwards to my property. I wish for this to be resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible. Once the roof has been inspected then you will be provided with a report of what work needs carrying out to get the roof to meet building regulations. It is not appropriate for you to attend without even knowing what work is required.

Kind regards,

I've also found this. F16 your views and anyone who can add anything would be great. See page 62/63

"ATRIUM

It is possible to install VELUX roof windows in flat roofs (roof

pitches form 0° to 15°) to produce an atrium type effect. However,

this installation requires special cover and flashing components

that must be ordered as special products.

Cover and flashing components are based on a kerb construction

similar to VELUX Flat Roof Kerb ECX.

The kerb for the atrium is not part of the VELUX product programme

and should be made on site. Certain dimensions must be

respected, see drawings opposite.

The dimensions of the kerb vary depending on chosen window sizes

and frame distance.

Before installing the windows, ensure that the construction is

structurally stable.

Install the windows according to the installation instructions for

the window. Supplementary instructions are enclosed with the

special flashing."

http://www.velux.co.uk/en-GB/Documents/Brochure%20pdfs/451767-2010-04%20compressed.pdf

I've also found this. F16 your views or anyone else's would be great. See page 62/63

"ATRIUM

It is possible to install VELUX roof windows in flat roofs (roof

pitches form 0° to 15°) to produce an atrium type effect. However,

this installation requires special cover and flashing components

that must be ordered as special products.

Cover and flashing components are based on a kerb construction

similar to VELUX Flat Roof Kerb ECX.

The kerb for the atrium is not part of the VELUX product programme

and should be made on site. Certain dimensions must be

respected, see drawings opposite.

The dimensions of the kerb vary depending on chosen window sizes

and frame distance.

Before installing the windows, ensure that the construction is

structurally stable.

Install the windows according to the installation instructions for

the window. Supplementary instructions are enclosed with the

special flashing."

http://www.velux.co.uk/en-GB/Documents/Brochure%20pdfs/451767-2010-04%20compressed.pdf

Have a great Easter weekend everyone!

Hi kinger

The Email to the roofer had to be sent. .... IMO

Is this flashing kit made by Velux ?

When I asked them about it they said the roofer would have to make his own.

Which I didn't suggest to you because the bloke can't even use a tape measure !!!! :lol: :lol:

Found it in Velux book. That is the one they told me would not work on a pitched roof.

I don't know why Velux would say that they weren't available. When I called them about these last year they said that it was possible to buy them. I imagine everyone must be busy over the bank holiday weekend. If I don't get any input from anyone else then i'll just send the email. You have been so helpful F16. Thank you very much.

I guess its just time to wait for the building inspector to get back in touch now.

Kinger, Happy Easter to you and yours and in fact everyone !!!!

Velux said "it would not work". Not that they "were not available"

They call it a "Kerb Kit" (ugly or what ??) Looks like the tail "gun pod" of a "Lancaster Bomber" !!!

You wouldn't want 3 of those stuck on your roof now would you ???

I've still got a couple of ways to get around the problem if it continues to leak. (By the way. Rain forecast Sunday and Monday !!! )

When I said "I've sussed it".....

If you look at the internal photos you posted up. You will notice above the door / window heads(top) there is a "Celcon" block 215mm (8.5")

and above that a 50mm (2") timber wall plate with the ceiling joists "resting "on it.

Thus this "front elevation" wall is taking the weight (load) of the roof.

Now think about this.....

If you fit an RSJ running parallel to the front elevation wall to take the load of the roof off the front elevation a place it on the side elevations.

You could then remove the Celcon Blocks on the front elevation and "Lower" the roof (by 8.5") on to the RSJ which is then taking the "load" of the roof.

This will increase the pitch on the roof by 3 or 4 degrees.

Giving you roughly 16.5 degrees to 17.5 degrees. :whoo: :whoo:

There is a lot more to it than the above..... But that is the "basic idea"

Kinger: Help. My friend not a problem....... Now it's "Bottom covering time" !!!!!!!

Do not try this at home. It will end in tears. :violin:

F16

I am going to send the following. Can anyone comment.

"With regards to my previous email I have already informed you that I will be ensuring the building inspector fully inspects and evaluates the condition of the roof before you come to carry out any repairs. I feel it is not appropriate for you to arrive and repair the flashings, as the inspector has not actually carried out a proper inspection of the roof. May I also remind you that the judge has ordered that the following:

"The claimant shall at his expense inspect the Velux windows and rectify any aspect of the installation likely to result in water ingress.

This means that it is not just the velux windows which require attention. As I informed you in court there is wood which is exposed and there are other aspects of the roof which need rectifying. This is including but not limited to the following

• Guttering- The pipes from the main roof cannot dump water directly onto the centurion tiles (see centurion installation instructions which clearly explain this)
  • Ventilation- You have provided no ventilation in the soffit or eaves.
  • Tile overlaps- Many of the tiles do not meet the requirement of 100mm and 110mm overlap. One row of 16 courses was measure and only 4 tiles actually met the requirements
  • Verge Tiles- These should be installed along each gable end.

Do you even know the make and model of my Velux window and flashings? Do you know if repair is even possible? I am saving you time and money by allowing the building inspector to first inspect the roof. I do not want you to incur unecessary costs coming backwards and forwards to my property. I wish for this to be resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible. Once the roof has been inspected then you will be provided with a report of what work needs carrying out to get the roof to meet building regulations. It is not appropriate for you to attend without even knowing what work is required.

Kind regards,

I'd begin with 'Further to our exchange of correspondence at xxx.......'

Remove any reference to remedy/repair which you don't believe has an effect on water ingress

Temper the final paragraph, rhetoric may be frowned on if this ends up back in front of the judge.

Your reply should ideally appear to assist both sides and comply with the notice.

Kinger

RE Mike_hawks Post above.

Remove Ventilation and Verge Tile references.

I will provide you with a very comprehensive list of faults / errors for the Building Inspector meeting

Kinger

Done a lot of "Digging and string pulling" tonight !!! Re. Your post # 279 (The Insurer).

Turns out the real "Insurers" (under writers) might be Lloyds of London (a syndicate of).

Unfortunately for your roofer my Father (now retired ) was a Member of Lloyds.

His advice was to Email [email protected] .uk

Say that you are "Planning" on having works done to your property using a NFRC contractor but would like to see the Policy before hand.

In particular "Fitting materials to manufacturers spec".

That "clause" will be in there.

That is why I said in a previous post "I will save that information (tile clips/overlaps, pitch for velux, down pipes from roofs above etc.) for later."

Hence why he won't get insurance !!!!!!

Don't let them know the work has been started.

Proper "Nailed" this sucker

Happy Easter.

F16

I'd begin with 'Further to our exchange of correspondence at xxx.......'

Remove any reference to remedy/repair which you don't believe has an effect on water ingress

Temper the final paragraph, rhetoric may be frowned on if this ends up back in front of the judge.

Your reply should ideally appear to assist both sides and comply with the notice.

Thank you for your input. I've edited it and sent it this morning

I received the email from the architect. Does this answer what you were looking for F16?

1. Your roof has not been designed as a vaulted ceiling. Drawing 006 shows a traditional flat ceiling with timber joists and a 270mm rockwool insulation layer. However, to assist you if you have changed the design: - A breathable membrane does not necessarily remove the need for traditional ventilation. It can be used in this way, but measures must be taken to ensure that water vapour does not get into the unvented space.
  2. Lateral restraint should be provided by steel straps at each gable, yes. This is normal practice and should have been included by the builder and checked by Building Control.
  3. The literature I have for these tiles does not state this, and I’ve not seen a set of the fitting instructions. The normal solution would be to simply extend the downpipes down the roof slope to discharge into a hopper at gutter level on the extension (see attached photo).

Kinger

Done a lot of "Digging and string pulling" tonight !!! Re. Your post # 279 (The Insurer).

Turns out the real "Insurers" (under writers) might be Lloyds of London (a syndicate of).

Unfortunately for your roofer my Father (now retired ) was a Member of Lloyds.

His advice was to Email [email protected] .uk

Say that you are "Planning" on having works done to your property using a NFRC contractor but would like to see the Policy before hand.

In particular "Fitting materials to manufacturers spec".

That "clause" will be in there.

That is why I said in a previous post "I will save that information (tile clips/overlaps, pitch for velux, down pipes from roofs above etc.) for later."

Hence why he won't get insurance !!!!!!

Don't let them know the work has been started.

Proper "Nailed" this sucker

Happy Easter.

F16

I am going to send the email now and I will let you know as soon as a receive a response.

Kinger

Unless some of the "Legal Crew" give different advise.

I would Email this "Clown" and give a date towards the end of the month.

Or the start of next month.

I've hit the "report" key for assistance.

Just so you know that this has not been ignored. Is there some specific advice you or Kinger are looking for?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.