Roofer did shoddy work and has now filed court claim against me

Kinger122
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't understand why architect speced. "Rockwool quilt and not Celotex sheet but that is his call.

Did he quote 50mm air gap between tilers sheet and insulation ?

No he didn't. I copied everything from the plans and notes.

If there is anything else I can do in the meantime, let me know and I'll get straight on it.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am almost certain the tile vents are needed. I will probably have to wait till monday to ring the architect. So what does this all mean then? The building inspector cannot pass the roof can he?

Unfortunately at court the roofer knew more than me about what a roof should be, and lied saying the roof was fantastic and that he was going to put it on his website. The judge didnt have a clue how to do a roof so took everything he was saying as truth.

No the Building Inspector can't "Pass" it. Unless you "agree" to the 100 errors..... I don't think so !!!!

"Use it on his web site"...... Are you sure..

Only if Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are the only viewers.

No the Building Inspector can't "Pass" it. Unless you "agree" to the 100 errors..... I don't think so !!!!

"Use it on his web site"...... Are you sure..

Only if Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are the only viewers.

Hahaha that's the first time I've laughed in a while about this roof headache

Kinger122

This post is VERY important confirm it is read.

Before vents are fitted I think you will need to alter the boiler flue by having a "Plume Kit " fitted due to the position of the vents.

I'm not a Gas Safe Engineer.

When the boiler was fitted there were no vents. So get the boiler fitter back and check.

Kinger122

This post is VERY important confirm it is read.

Before vents are fitted I think you will need to alter the boiler flue by having a "Plume Kit " fitted due to the position of the vents.

I'm not a Gas Safe Engineer.

When the boiler was fitted there were no vents. So get the boiler fitter back and check.

Yes, I have read that. Does it mean the flue will need to extend away so that the fumes don't enter into the roof cavity?

This is all on the assumption that the roofer will do all the required work. Would it not be better for me to let the roofer "repair the roof" and then raise all these issues after the building inspector inspects the roof. I know this roofer is going to cut corners constantly with my job and I want someone else to do it ideally.

He also said in court the only thing he was willing to do was to repair the flashings, as he feels that there is nothing else wrong with the roof and that it is "lovely." So I am almost certain he is going to refuse to do all the work.

Sorry missed post #221

Yes what you are suggesting would have solved the pitch problem

Regards F16

In your opinion how would be the best way to solve this situation?

Do I let the roofer come and do the repairs he thinks are necessary?

Do I just tell the building inspector all the flaws and see if the roofer will fix all the flaws too? I know he won't change the pitch or make the flat sections to make the pitch 15

Yes the flue will have to be extended due to poss. carbon monoxide ingress.

This is when you need the input of the "Legal Crew".

My view is the Judge said he had to get insurance.... and he can't as discussed so YOU don't have to pay.

You could point out all the faults and get him to put them right.

BUT you paid once for materials and the cost of new materials is his problem.

So this "Clown" might "think" he has won...... But has he ?????

See what the "Legal Crew" advise.

Regards

F16

Yes the flue will have to be extended due to poss. carbon monoxide ingress.

This is when you need the input of the "Legal Crew".

My view is the Judge said he had to get insurance.... and he can't as discussed so YOU don't have to pay.

You could point out all the fault and get him to put them right.

BUT you paid once for materials and the cost of new materials is his problem.

So this "Clown" might "think" he has won...... But has he ?????

See what the "Legal Crew" advise.

Regards

F16

That sounds good. Thank you very much. I'll wait for their input. If you can could you list the faults, as I am not sure exactly what needs rectifying? Were the tile and lead flashing overlaps fine for example?

Ill be back on tomorrow. I think he has lost either way. His poor work will have cost him more money and I will still pay the original invoice and get a fixed roof, which was underquoted in the first place.

I've read the "ventilation" part for the roof.

There are 2 options.

1 : Eves (gable ) vents.

OR

2: Tile Vents (mushrooms)

Of which you have neither.......Nor the "Continuous soffit vent".

Collecting full fitting instructions on Monday from local supplier to find out about verge tiles.

Enjoy the weekend

I've read the "ventilation" part for the roof.

There are 2 options.

1 : Eves (gable ) vents.

OR

2: Tile Vents (mushrooms)

Of which you have neither.......Nor the "Continuous soffit vent".

Collecting full fitting instructions on Monday from local supplier to find out about verge tiles.

Enjoy the weekend

Have a nice weekend too. Ill message on monday then. :)

Kinger122

Sorry to bother you on Sunday !

I need some more photos:

1. The corner you said was leaking. Lift up the lead on back wall and take photo so I can see the corner under the back wall lead

and where the "stepped" lead flashing finishes. (Push lead back into place after photos).

2. Shots of the sides and top of 1 of the velux windows (pref the far right looking from the garden).

I need the shots taken at 90 degrees to the roof to view the gap between the tiles and the Velux.

So I can see the side and top flashings.

3. What "model of Velux was fitted ? (ie GGL)

At this stage all I'm going to say is....." I think I know where he has gone wrong" !!!!!

Google "Velux window installation instructions".....

It's on a "you tube".... That's it enough "Clues"..... Oh alright 1 more: My post on the Velux windows "looking low" will assist !

Don't end up with the "Don King hair do and the Al Jolson face"; trying to figure it out ! I will explain Monday.

F16

You've been fantastic with all the technical stuff f16 what a shame you didn't find kingers thread before the court hearing. I'm sure it would be useful if the legal members could get back involved with the thread, now we all know the errors, I'm sure Kinger is wondering what to do with all this information now, I know I would be!

You've been fantastic with all the technical stuff f16 what a shame you didn't find kingers thread before the court hearing. I'm sure it would be useful if the legal members could get back involved with the thread, now we all know the errors, I'm sure Kinger is wondering what to do with all this information now, I know I would be!

I am so grateful I cannot put it into words. It was so difficult getting roofers to give quotes let alone even look at me roof. They are all scared of touching someone else's work and as this company is big, a lot of them even knew who did the job before they even visited. I have put so much into this (as have all the kind posters) and there is no way I am going to give up now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50189[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50192[/ATTACH]

Kinger122

Sorry to bother you on Sunday !

I need some more photos:

1. The corner you said was leaking. Lift up the lead on back wall and take photo so I can see the corner under the back wall lead

and where the "stepped" lead flashing finishes. (Push lead back into place after photos).

2. Shots of the sides and top of 1 of the velux windows (pref the far right looking from the garden).

I need the shots taken at 90 degrees to the roof to view the gap between the tiles and the Velux.

So I can see the side and top flashings.

3. What "model of Velux was fitted ? (ie GGL)

At this stage all I'm going to say is....." I think I know where he has gone wrong" !!!!!

Google "Velux window installation instructions".....

It's on a "you tube".... That's it enough "Clues"..... Oh alright 1 more: My post on the Velux windows "looking low" will assist !

Don't end up with the "Don King hair do and the Al Jolson face"; trying to figure it out ! I will explain Monday.

F16

Kinger 122

Cheers for the photos .

The photo with "tiles removed". Is the "up stand" on the flashing kit crushed ? Looks like it to me.

I think I can see "Disc cutter" damage on the bottom flashing.

What model of Velux ?

And the same for the flashing kit ?

In a previous post you said.

"270mm rockwool insulation quilt to be laid over and between ceiling joists".

That can't be right.

"Between" Yes. Not "Over". There has to be a 50mm (Minimum) air flow gap between "Tilers sheet" and insulation.

Did the architect do a sectional drawing of this detail ?

What size are the ceiling joists ?

Sorry about all the questions !!! :oops:

Kinger 122

Cheers for the photos .

The photo with "tiles removed". Is the "up stand" on the flashing kit crushed ? Looks like it to me.

I think I can see "Disc cutter" damage on the bottom flashing.

What model of Velux ?

And the same for the flashing kit ?

In a previous post you said.

"270mm rockwool insulation quilt to be laid over and between ceiling joists".

That can't be right.

"Between" Yes. Not "Over". There has to be a 50mm (Minimum) air flow gap between "Tilers sheet" and insulation.

Did the architect do a sectional drawing of this detail ?

Yes everything seems to be damaged. I questioned the workers when they were doing the roof that should they not be cutting the tiles on the floor not on the actual roof but they carried on doing it like that and said that was how it was done. There is cutter damage everywhere, even on the velux window where it has bounced off the tiles and hit the window.

The velux is the GGU electric center pivot model. The flashing kit is the one made by velux which goes with the windows. I don't know the name, but the supplier I bought it from provided the tiles, windows and flashings and told me they were all compatible. I needed a certain flashing kit for the centurion tiles.

For the insulation that was for a flat ceiling. The architect originally told me I could not have a vaulted ceiling, but then the inspector said it was possible and a vaulted ceiling was done instead. That is why it refers to the insulation going over I believe.

There is a sectional drawing but it is for the flat ceiling. Is this insulation a big problem? I feel like I've been misled by the inspector and the roofer.

For the insulation that was for a flat ceiling. The architect originally told me I could not have a vaulted ceiling, but then the inspector said it was possible and a vaulted ceiling was done instead. That is why it refers to the insulation going over I believe.

There is a sectional drawing but it is for the flat ceiling. Is this insulation a big problem? I feel like I've been misled by the inspector and the roofer.

That explains that one !!! I knew that was not correct for vaulted ceiling.

Is that "Up stand" crushed ?

Yes everything seems to be damaged. I questioned the workers when they were doing the roof that should they not be cutting the tiles on the floor not on the actual roof but they carried on doing it like that and said that was how it was done. There is cutter damage everywhere, even on the velux window where it has bounced off the tiles and hit the window..

You should "Mark up" each cut and cut else where; Not in situ.

If you do cut in situ. This is the result.

The insulation is only a "problem" if there is no 50mm air flow gap.

This also explains why I said "Rockwool ??? I would have used Celotex sheet.... but that's his call"

If the "roofer " (and I use that term very loosely) was of any use he should have advised you of a "Better option/ product.

Check your invoice for the product code for the flashing kit.

I will see what kit my supplier suggests tomorrow when I pick up the tile fitting instructions and velux fitting instructions

I can't think why any architect would suggest a flat ceiling in this type of extension with velux window. That would have looked pants !!

Ring the architect and ask about roof ventilation.

That explains that one !!! I knew that was not correct for vaulted ceiling.

Is that "Up stand" crushed ?

I think so. I am not exactly sure what the upstand is. Is it the raised bit around the edge of the window where the tiles are supposed to slot into?

I can't think why any architect would suggest a flat ceiling in this type of extension with velux window. That would have looked pants !!

Ring the architect and ask about roof ventilation.

That was the issue. The architect said that the vaulted ceiling was not possible, and as soon as I found out it was possible I changed it to the vaulted ceiling.

I will check the invoice tomorrow and find out what the flashing kit was. These were bought nearly a year ago so I cannot remember off the top of my head. Thank you