Looking for advice on whether something is fraud or not

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I come to you all in an hour of need as I am not sure where to take this from here. All of this related to my partner, and her ex husband. They split in 2008 and divorced a few years afterward. They had a house together when they split, this was in negative equity so they decided to rent out the house until it came out of negative equity. They also had a number of debts together that were consolidated and paid through a debt management service.

When they divorced an agreement was put forth via solicitors that formalised the agreement that was already verbal. My partner would pay her ex half of the cost of the debt management service, and she would pay half of the cost of the shortfall that was present because the tenant in their house did not cover all the mortgage with their rent.

Her ex, as part of this agreement would pay off the mortgage and the debt management loan.

We found out recently that he had not done this for up to a year. He'd taken the money my partner had been giving him, and instead of paying off the debt management service and the mortgage he spent the money on his own personal lifestyle. The first we heard about this was when he told us the house was in the process of being repossessed. He told us initially this was because the tenant wasn't paying. When we investigated further and checked all the places he should have been paying we found out the truth, and he admitted to it.

He has subsequently told us in the next month or two he is going bankrupt. This is going to cascade on my partner and she is likely going to end up bankrupt too.

My question lies in how I deal with this. I am unsure if what has happened here is something the police need to get involved in or something that needs to go to small claims court etc. Taking it to small claims court seems a bit fruitless as he is doing to declare bankrupt anyway.

Any advice would be much appreciated.