• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3824 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I agree it's not a good article for them.

But the scenario used is typical.

If you are unfortunate enough to be unemployed, why go out and buy a 50" tv or play station.

They are hardly essential.

Sadly that is the world many live in.

They want the best of everything and BH offers it too them, they know the costs involved, but still go ahead.

If people were to save up and buy it in cash from a more reputable store, BH would not be in business,

and if you can't afford to save the money, they you certainly can't afford the BH option.

So while I have some sympathy for people who see the full BH experience,

there are other ways,

they may not be as instant,

but you don't get the bank coming round to say you did not put this weeks savings into your account!

‘Our all-inclusive cash price includes BrightHouse’s unique service proposition — that means delivery and installation; repair and replacement; home move service; and accidental damage, fire and theft cover, giving our customers complete peace of mind.

‘We regularly carry out research with our customers and levels of customer satisfaction are consistently high, and that’s why so many of them choose to shop with us again, and why the business has continued to grow, with 287 stores around the UK.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2466755/Buy-youll-really-pay-later-The-tick-chain-stores-making-millions-selling-3-400-TVs-Britains-poorest-families--eyewatering-rates.html#ixzz2i9baKSsD

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This is very hard to swallow. Their previous insurance packages were forced on customers - once it was pointed out to consumers that they did NOT have pay this, they restructured the prices of their products to include the same packages.

They previously claimed that if a customer could prove they had Home Insurance then they weren't obliged to take out the cover (which they weren't obliged to anyway). Now this is all inclusive, with no apparent reduction for those who might have their own Home Insurance ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes the company rips off people and yes they use underhand practices and yes they charge extortionate interest, but I don't really see anyone has a right to complain when they go into the store and buy something.

As said by Craig, live within your means, if you don't have the income to buy luxury goods then don't or stop moaning about the prices.

Whilst I agree with you regarding "luxury" items, coniff.. a lot of the time these are NOT luxury items.. having a washing machine at home is far cheaper than dragging a family load down to the Laundromat every day. Freezer/Fridge could almost be considered a necessity today.

Once trapped in this type of purchase, there is usually no way out unless the consumer has a boost to their income.

The point is.. these BH items are already grossly over inflated in price in the first instance - on top of that there are the "optional" insurances !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

As for the commenter who said that people need to think responsibly, sadly some of the people who end up in the clutches of Brighthouse have not learnt to think, and they are the more vulnerable ones keeping the store alive.

Whilst I am unemployed my 42 inch tv cost £329.00 from a high street store when I was working, my PS3 came to me when a nephew changed to an Xbox and I don't have Sky TV.

My Playstation IS essential when there is nothing on tv, I store music on it, and audio books, and use it instead of a DVD player (it is blu-ray but I can't afford blu-ray discs).

I'm sorry but what you have said is hard to take! coming from member of the site team on CAG,

i was working at the time i got my first item and i worked for myself,

i was on good money each week, and i all ever got was 1 item at a time,

unless it was Xmas then it would be 2 items at most,

or if the FF or WM packed up then as my WM did around june time!

so i went and got one,

its all right saying save up!

you could say the same about anthing in life that you want to buy,

( well you should have saved up) all the guys on here that are ( complaining) as you put it!

it more to do with how BH act once you stop/miss a payment or can no longer pay what you was paying each week as some full out of work.

BH say they help!

what help do they give you?

all they offer is to take 1 or 2 items back untill you can start paying for them,

hows that help if its FF or WM,

i think the best way to help is lower the cost of the payment each week and whats not paid just add it on to the back of the aggerment

so it runs for longer! and not only that set a limit for the 1st item,

and then make sure they have so many weeks left before they can buy a new item,

BUT NO THAT WOULD BE TO easy, so what do BH do they let everyone stack up there items so they are paying £70/80 aweek or more,

and then BH act like they do and seem to think they are right in the way they act. its time something was done to stop them acting this way.

Yes the company rips off people and yes they use underhand practices and yes they charge extortionate interest, but I don't really see anyone has a right to complain when they go into the store and buy something.

As said by Craig, live within your means, if you don't have the income to buy luxury goods then don't or stop moaning about the prices.

Edited by marcus6

With due respect to all parties that have contributed their comments,which I have digested.

Maybe we have got to the stage of the HAVES and HAVE NOTS.

I can remember when some people got things on HP,(now they call it credit)

,it was their only way of getting things.

Or maybe when one shopped at the corner shop and settled up with them on a Friday,which was pay day.

Of course it is sensible to get things by saving up for them,but extra bills come,so goes your savings.

Or in the case of paying for something in installments,the monthly payment goes on a new bill.

Are we to pass judgement on someone who through no fault of their own,has not enough money to buy their children a birthday or Christmas present

.So the likes of BH is an easy option.

Or maybe,

did anyone of you want a present and your parents could not afford it.

You will try and give your children what you could not have

.Is it a luxury to have a TV when you are out of work,

it saves staring at the four walls.

But some people have to keep up with the Jones and get the latest plasma TV

.When the media does an article on a family that is out of work,

why do they highlight all the latest gadgets they have.

They hardly ever show a family where the parents have had to sell things,to put food on the table.

They also seem to show the family smoking as well.

Surely,they are entitled to some enjoyment.

The likes of BH have cornered the market on the NEVER NEVER payment,

but I do not agree in their sales antics,or after sales neither.

Shop cards usually charge 30% interest,what is the rate of interest of BH.

I might have opened a can of worms with my comments,who knows.

Regards,John.

First of all,my apologies for my earlier post,I do not know what has happened,it is all over the place.

I do believe that that the likes of BH have a place in the market,but it is the mis leading tricks regarding the insurance etc. that sickens me.Not only are they catering for the not so affluent,they are also prepared to rip them off.

I suppose if a PDL is used wisely,it is cheaper than paying bank charges.Sometime ago,I had a PDL of £100 to cover some direct debits.This cost me £17,if the DD's had been returned,it would have cost me nearly 4 times that amount.

Regards,John.

Edited by citizenB

• 1 month later...