Opodo - can I take them to court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently booked a series of interconnecting flights through Opodo.

They were all with the same airline company.

Opodo sent me an email confirming my booking (their email title 'Opodo flight booking confirmation') that listed my flight details and confirming the price.

I subsequently booked hotels, rail travel and other sundries that would complete my trip, however not through Opodo.

I then received an email from Opodo entitled 'Opodo flight booking unconfirmed'.

It also lists my booking reference number and states that they are 'unable to provide me with a reason that the booking has failed'.

I attempted to book new flights but surprisingly they are now four times the price.

I have tried to contact Opodo via their internet complaint service and alas have had no reply.

I have now had to book the only flights available (there are now no direct flights) and make new hotel/rail bookings at quite considerable cost.

Can I take Opodo to the small claims court under the DSR as the price was agreed at the point of booking

and as they state in their terms and conditions the contract becomes valid at the point of sale.

If they advertise a flight at a price and then cannot provide it this cannot be right?

Or are they the same as Autotrader ( - I had reason to complain after they advertised a car with features it did not have.

I went to Trading Standards who ran a mile as there is so much legal red tape associated with them).

Any help/advice appreciated (and yes I have learnt my lesson and won't be using them again!)

Thanks

OPODO LIMITED

WATERFRONT

HAMMERSMITH EMBANKMENT

CHANCELLORS ROAD

LONDON

W6 9RU

Company No. 04051797

Mortgage: Number of charges: 8 ( 8 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )

Don't look to be a good company - try a complaint to their Registered off above.

They might have problems as the number of employees has dropped dramatically - 2007 = 808 / 2012 = 207

Edited by Conniff

• 2 weeks later...

Conniff - thanks for the information.

However I was hoping for some legal input. I am under the assumption that the Distance Selling Regulations apply to Opodo.

They state in their terms and conditions that once you click 'book' you have entered into a contract with them and that if you attempt/wish to change the details it will coat extra. However as a layman surely the reverse is correct. In my case they have still failed to give me a reason as to why they did not book my flights (I finally received an email from them today which just re-iterated my comments and then advised me to re-book through them noting however that they would not be honouring the price I booked at because the price is subject to 'live availability' ). In other words still no explanation.

If I took them to court it would only be to claim the additional cost of re-booking the hotels, the difference in cost of the flights (from their price to what I finally had to pay) and the cost at my hourly rate of taking an extra days holiday from work as the returning flight is now 8 hours later. I dont think these demands are unfair or excessive but it is more a point of principle.

Comments/advice welcome! :???:

I am always saying that contracts are two way things and cannot be a one sided document in favour of the seller or service provider, this is especially so in the case of mobile phones where the service isn't provided but there is a charge of hundreds of pounds to rescind the contract.

Have you actually sent a demand for the difference or just asked for an explanation?

You should send a demand by recorded delivery letter and if that fails then send the same again only this time head the letter 'Letter Before Action' and stating that should they fail to reimburse you then you will take action without further notice.

You can start the claim on line MCOL and shouldn't cost more that £40-50 which you will, of course,

add to your claim.

The information on companies house doesn't look promising:

OPODO LIMITED

WATERFRONT

HAMMERSMITH EMBANKMENT

CHANCELLORS ROAD

LONDON

W6 9RU

Company No. 04051797

Accounting Reference Date: 31/03

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/03/2012 (FULL)

Next Accounts Due: 31/12/2013

Last Return Made Up To: 08/08/2012

Next Return Due: 05/09/2013 OVERDUE

Mortgage: Number of charges: 8 ( 8 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )

Last Members List: 08/08/2012

You might like to see this, sounds just like Opodo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHcim_KNZYw