Legal requirement to tell my employer my address!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been having problems with debt over the 2 years.

I've now put myself in a position to climb out of the hole I'm in.

I moved this weekend & my employer knows this and now wants to know my new address..

The problem is they passed on my previous address to bailiffs when it was request before.. Because I am unhappy with them disclosing this information I am going to refuse to give my new address but pass them my parents address as a C.O.

As far as I am concerned, I will have notifications of any mail sent to me by my work, and my home will be my safe-zone. By that I mean I can live in peace without having to worry about random bullies knocking at my door until I have got my footing again and I'm able to gain a debt-free status again.

I have recently set myself up with a DMP (Stepchange) who are starting to 'manage' my debts with me so I am on track to get things paid up..

What are my legal obligations to tell my employers my address..?

Am I legally entitled to pass them a C.O. or PO-Box because I need to feel safe in my own home?

What does this clause say I need to provide?

Also, Who are they allowed to disclose my details too?? I assumed by doing that they were in breach of the Data Protection Act. Does this count for government requests (E.G Councils)?

It is illegal under Data Protection Act for your company to pass on your details to a third party even if the third party are bailliffs.

Well Synergy, I don't know what you will do about it, but I fully understand why you want to do this. Not necessarily over debt, but other things, many times I've slammed that front door, isolated myself for a while and then come out with the solution. I hope it all works out for you. X

Section 35 (2) (a) of the Data Protection Act allows the disclosure of personal details to a third party under certain circumstances.

Company that requested them probably said they were considering a court claim and this would allow the employer to provide the requested information without breaking the DPA

===================================================================

35 Disclosures required by law or made in connection with legal proceedings etc.

(1)Personal data are exempt from the non-disclosure provisions where the disclosure is required by or under any enactment, by any rule of law or by the order of a court.

(2)Personal data are exempt from the non-disclosure provisions where the disclosure is necessary—

(a)for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings), or

(b)for the purpose of obtaining legal advice,

or is otherwise necessary for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights

I absolutely understand why you don't want the employer to have your address.

But I don't understand why there is a problem? Why don't you just give your parent's address if you will get any letters sent there? I doubt the employer is going to send someone round to check.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I know what you are saying, I like my address private.

Hospitals get quite funny with next of kin, they try to assure me that they won't be contacted, but have been contacted in the past by "accident" I go on to say, well if you don't have the details, then they definitely won't be contacted ( even by "accident").