After bankruptcy discharge unable to obtain credit, please help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

A bit of back story, I was discharged from bankruptcy in 2010, the reason for it was not due to my own money mismanagement it was essentially fraud by family member which put me in this position- but that's irrelevant as far as credit reports go.

I recently applied for finance on a new cheap car and was refused, now I know that this is possibly to be expected with bankruptcy being present on the credit file however I know of many individuals who have been bankrupt 2 times and on the day of discharge were able to obtain finance on a car, mobile phones but did get offered a credit card from my bank. I know things are tighter now but one person I know was made bankrupt in the same year as myself, he now has a mortgage, finance and mobile phones which leads me to believe that something unusual is in play.

After discussing my situation with him it was suggested that a problem on my credit file could be responsible for my rejections.

I recently signed up to Equifax to determine the cause and now I am non the wiser.

The Bankruptcy order is present in the court section - should it be?

There are defaults in the credit agreements that were associated to the initial bankruptcy order, should they be there?

Does age affect the after discharge consequences? I was 22 when I received my discharge letter.

Another important question playing on my mind is, I am relocating for work within the UK in 2 months, I am now very worried that I will be unable to obtain rented accommodation despite currently living in rented accommodation. Should I be concerned about this considering I am unable to even take out a mobile phone?

Thank you for reading and I eagerly await your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

All the debts including defaults should be removed from your credit file, however the BR file will stay on for 6 years dont apply for any credit as this adds searchs on your file, renting could be an issue as we rent and when we moved agents wanted £200.00 application fee if we pass credit check the fee would be taken off deposit, however is we dont pass its easy money for the agent, look in local paper we got landlord no credit checks.

Always tell agent first to save money, regarding a car if you need a car we got car via lease to buy in Irvine scotland no credit checks just employment wage slip, they were great fo us and the car is spot on no faults

Good look

All the debts including defaults should be removed from your credit file, however the BR file will stay on for 6 years dont apply for any credit as this adds searchs on your file, renting could be an issue as we rent and when we moved agents wanted £200.00 application fee if we pass credit check the fee would be taken off deposit, however is we dont pass its easy money for the agent, look in local paper we got landlord no credit checks.

Always tell agent first to save money, regarding a car if you need a car we got car via lease to buy in Irvine scotland no credit checks just employment wage slip, they were great fo us and the car is spot on no faults

Good look

The credit check performed by an estate agent isnt as sever as one for a credit application - I know that my score is less for credit application than what estate agents or employers may see - this was explained to me on checkmyfile.com (free for 30 days - but then make sure you cancel it - I now use Noodle a free service and you can raise a dispute against anything outstanding that should have been cleared through the bankruptcy.

I know this from personal experience

Hope this helps

Banking Idiot