Letter from ASOS...Is Severe Disablement Allowance the same as DLA?

haggis1984
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently in receipt of DLA (no other benefits). I used to claim ESA. I have just had a letter from ASOS which states that if I am claiming 'ESA, Income Support or Severe Disablement Allowance' I need to fill in their questionnaire.

I'm confused as to whether Severe Disablement Allowance is the same as DLA? Do I have to complete the questionnaire for my DLA? Or have they just sent this in error as I used to claim ESA?

Thanks, hope someone can help :)

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

As far as I know, PIP is taking over from DLA so it looks like it's due to you claiming ESA in the past.

Severe Disablement benefit is something different.

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

:haggis1984:

Disability living allowance (gradually being replaced by personal independence payment) is paid to help with the extra costs of disability whether or not one's in work.

Severe disablement allowance is a completely separate 'legacy' income replacement benefit. Prior to April 2001, it was claimed by severely disabled adults who didn't have enough national insurance contributions to claim incapacity benefit. In due course, people still in receipt of severe disablement allowance will be reassessed for employment n support allowance.

Was your employment n support allowance contribution flavoured? Praps you still have a credits only claim? Is the questionnaire an ESA50?

Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**