Terms in Employment Contracts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

If a term in an employment contract states a certain % of your annual earnings will be contributed for pension purposes, then fair enough.

But what if then a further term states YOU WILL pay this % whether or not you opt in or out of the pension scheme. In essence paying the employer of % of your wage to receive nothing back.

I understand employment law stipulates that if a term is written into your contract then it is not illegal but how far does that stretch exactly? Surely it was never intended for employers to get away with such terms?

Any advice be appreciated

James

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

I doubt the payment goes to your employer. Presumably it goes to the trustees responsible for running the pension scheme.

Is this a final salary or defined contribution scheme?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hello James.

I think you've posted about this before. Would you be able to give us a link to the thread or threads please?

I'm pretty sure I've answered you about this before and that you have a union involved.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Larger companies have to auto enrol their employees in a pension scheme by law, so that may explain the clause?...

Depends when the employee started. Auto enrolement for employees who have been with a company for a certain period of time dont get auto enrolled until they want to, or till 2017/

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

James, last time you posted about this, I asked you to quote us the contract term, but I can't see it on you other thread.

It's hard to advise without knowing what's written down. Am I right in thinking there's a union involved?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The term regarding the pension contributions was negotiated with the Union under a collective agreement which is fair enough as it is for pension purposes!

The term I have a big problem with is the one after it that states: your salary will be abated whether or not you elect to join the pension scheme!

So if I decided not to be in the scheme I would still have my salary whacked for what equates to £200 a month

I struggle to find how such a term which only benefits the employer is legal in any sense!

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

That is how the term is worded by the way, as above

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

As stated above: your salary will be abated whether or not you elect to join the pension scheme

So on what grounds do they take a % of my wage, for which i will receive nothing back if i chose not to be part of the workplace pension scheme!

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Are you getting a pension as well as wages, if so I understand your salary may be reduced by the amount of the pension therefore you will be working for less than the job scale? well that's my understanding of it.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

I guess it is unusual, and it is certainly aggressive, but I don't think it is illegal. The effect is not that different to employers who pay matching pension contributions - if I pay 5% into my pension and my employer matches it, I am effectively getting 5% more pay (and paying less tax) than someone who does not contribute. It may be related to the union since it is a collective agreement.

Best to join pension schemes where you can to be honest. The current state pension may not sound like much, but it is already is too high and probably not sustainable in the long term.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

They cannot simply deduct payments to self enrich themselves. The money deducted MUST go somewhere.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D