30 day Law regarding used car

salman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I just thought I'd introduce myself first as I'm new here.

I bought a used car from Evans Halshaw a couple of weeks back and boy is it giving me problems:oops:

To start off with the clutch is on it's way out so Evan's Halshaw have offered to fit in a new clutch.

Secondly, each time I push the clutch in to change gears, for some reason the revs go up :S

Thirdly, one half the dashboard lights don't work at night which I think is a simple fix as a bulb/wire maybe loose.

Also, the car is very rough at idle which my local mechanics said is due to the engine box (or whatever it's called, it's the area where you put your oil top ups into )

not having washers on so the engine keeps rattling as it's not being held still.

Another problem is the 1st gear is veryy stiff sometimes and doesn't seem to want to go in, all the other gears seem fine.

Then another problem I just identified was the extremely low mpg for a small Toyota Corolla, it's only averaging 17-18mpg on the trip meter :/

The car's going in for repair next week but I doubt Evans Halshaw will be able to solve all of them problems

so I was just wondering where I stand since I've owned the car for less than 30 days?

I've been told there was some 30 day law in which I can give the keys back to any car I've purchased and demand a full refund?

Edited by salman

Please do not quote me but if you purchased a car from a dealer then it must match its description. It must be of satisfactory quality and reasonable condition according to its age.It must be fit for purpose and roadworthy.

The key will be if the dealer has pointed out any defects prior to purchase.

In your case it seems the dealer has committed an unfair commercial practice in selling an un-roadworthy vehicle.

You need to get the dealer to fix the faults or replace the vehicle. Any faults identified within the first six months of purchase will be assumed as being there when you purchased the vehicle.

You can claim compensation for breach of contract for selling an un-roadworthy vehicle

If the dealer offers an alternate vehicle then be reasonable as you may not get anything better in court

In short, give the dealer a time span to fix the faults, if the dealer does not comply, reject the vehicle and issue small claims action

I think you will find this thirty day law is american and not British

Yep I've already given them the list which they'll look over and try to fix next week, which law could I state when wanting to reject the car? And which faults would you say are the ones which classes the car as un-roadworthy, the rattling engine and the revs going up whilst I press the clutch to change gears?

This comes under THE SALE OF GOODS ACT

the goods must be of reasonable quality, if you have identified the faults to the dealer, as long as it is within six months of purchase, the dealer has a legal obligation to rectify all the listed faults

I REPEAT

its all faults listed, if not, reject the vehicle, though after you have rejected the vehicle you will need an independent vehicle report at your expense which you claim back through any small claim action

• Confused 1

yes def soga

you are if you wish entitled to reject the vehicle and get a refund too.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer1_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/cars_buying_a_secondhand_car_e.htm

and their is NO 30 day 'law' either!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the advice bud, I'll see how it goes. Also, they've offered a courtesy car whilst mine goes in repair however they won't insure my son on it (he's 19) so is there any way I could persuade them to insure him on it? As he'll be without a car at no fault of his just as I would have been. Or is that asking for too much?

The garage are providing "their customer" with a loan car and I don't think it will be seen as unreasonable that they only agree to insure "their customer" to drive. How long are you expecting to have the loan car for and is it really so important that your 19yo son is allowed to drive? If it is, you could speak to your existing insurer and ask if they will extend your insurance to cover the loan car for the period you have it for, then don't forget if they say yes, that you will have to check that the garage find that an acceptable way to insure their car.

Hi guys I dropped the car off on Tuesday morning and just got it back right now. After seeing their report card they'd given the car a new clutch but hadn't touched the gearbox to check why the 1st gear was stuff or investigated why the revs go up whilst changing gear as they said all that had automatically been fixed with the clutch being replaced, however I noticed the revs were still going up whilst changing gears on my way home.

Also they hadn't investigated the MPG issue as they said they "feel" the MPG will improve when I drive the car a few more times :S I don't know what sort of a reason is that. There was also a big black graze on the side mirror (which stood out on a silver car) which we asked them to touch it up before but they hadn't bothered so when we asked why it hadn't been sorted out they just said it was because they had to get the sales teams authorisation to do that, which I thought was abit silly because they could have asked the sales team for authorisation for it days ago whilst the car was in repair rather than ignoring it and not mentioning anything about it till we had to ask about it ourselves. However we went to the sales department straightaway and got the graze touched up on site whilst we were there.

Lastly coming onto my last problem, I don't think the clutch has been repaired properly as when I try to change gears, I can feel the clutch pedal grinding against something at the bottom when I push it in. I'm going to ring them up anyway tommorow but is there anything else I can say to them? As I'm appalled at the service I've just recieved. I shouldn't have to be dealing with any of this anyway since the car should have been free of faults when they sold it.

Edited by salman
adding paragraphs

use the edit post and add some blank lines please

dx

DX

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if you feel they have not fixed the faults, that's all the faults, and given a report, then reject the vehicle under the Sale of Goods Act.

Take the vehicle back to the garage and see what they say.

Tell the garage you are taking civil action against the garage

you will then have to get your own independent report on the vehicle, pref main dealer, at your expense which you claim back through a civil action

You have been more than reasonable

Take the vehicle back to the garage and see what they say.

Tell the garage you are taking civil action against the garage

What is this civil action you keep referring to and why would that be necessary ?

Rejection has to be done in writing.