Lowell death letter?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, a friend of mine has had numerous letters and txt messages from Lowell for a while regarding an old catalogue bill. Yesterday, she received a letter from them which was addressed to her estate and saying that they were sorry to hear of her death and that they had trained people who would speak to the family with sensitivity, and to call to discuss probate!

Has anybody else had anything like this, is this a tactic used by this company? It has definitely come from them but could somebody else have told them she's dead as a joke?

Thanks

Hi welcome to CAG,

I seem to recall that there was a time when this occurred a few years back.

I cannot see how a third party has been able to notify Lowell of her ''demise'',

unless she has moved house and someone as opened mail sent to an old address.

Has your friend actually got an outstanding catalogue debt?

I can if needed draft a letter to Lowell for her.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thankyou, I can't believe they do this! She has threw the letter in the bin as she thought somebody was playing tricks on her but she doesn't know how they would know she had dealings with Lowell. She thinks the catalogue debt is from years ago. I've told her to get the letter out of the bin

This is a matter that will need reporting to the OFT onec we can get the actual

debt situation clarified, my current thought is that it's statute barred, so we need

to know when the last payment and or written acknowledgment was made.

Also she should check credit reference files to see if this debt shows there.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Thankyou so much, I'll see if she can find out. She was really spooked yesterday as she's having quite a bad time at the minute and she'd convinced herself that someone must have told them she was dead in order to threaten her in some way. She was racking her brains thinking who it might be. I still can't believe they would sink this low.

Thankyou so much, I'll see if she can find out. She was really spooked yesterday as she's having quite a bad time at the minute and she'd convinced herself that someone must have told them she was dead in order to threaten her in some way. She was racking her brains thinking who it might be. I still can't believe they would sink this low.

Get the information asked for the we'll go from there.

Ok, the letter is from Phillips & Cohen Associates on behalf of their clients Lowell. The only debt my friend can think of is possibly a catalogue years ago but it is over 6 years. The amount they want to retrieve from her so called estate is £209.

Interesting, so 6 clear years with no payment or written acknowledgment of any debt.

So send the following to Messer Phillips & Cohen,

ref:as on their letter.

Sirs,

Re: The estate of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and Phillips & Cohens claim to be acting on behalf of Lowell regarding an alleged debt for £xxx.xx first of all no liabiity is acknowledged or accepted for any such alleged debt.

Secondly research has revealed that any such alleged debt is statute barres therefore no payment will be made now or in the future.

Thirdly until a registered medical practitioner certifies otherwise I am still alive and well.

As said this matter is statute barred and no payment will be made.

A complaint is being made immediately regarding the conduct of both Phillips & Cohen Associates and the Lowell Group in relation to this matter no doubt the OFT will be most interested in this underhand and distressing method of ''debt collection'' which amounts to emotional harassment with intent to coerce an individual to make contact.

I would suggest that Phillips & Cohen now closes the file on this matter and returns it to its client with the suggestion that they do the same.

send by RM recorded delivery.

I refer to a letter dated

I'm sorry to say after many years dealing with DCAs nothing surprises me now.

Please keep us posted on developments.

I'd be tempted to play with them a little:

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your letter dated xxxx.

I understand that it is considered good practice amongst lawyers to wait until an individual has actually died before making a claim upon their estate, even where, as in this case, the debt in question is statute barred.

Take note that I will not dignify any further incompetent and unprofessional communication from you with a reply.

However, I have filed your claim in my records so that when I eventually die it can be considered by my executors, though it will of course remain statute barred.

I remain, still breathing,