style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I started a small business from a unit in April 2010, I believed it to be rate exempt,but it transpires that it only had full relief from April 2011.

I only found this out when a bailiff called to enforce a £990 debt.

Apparently, i was liable for £450 of business rates plus the same again in bailiff fees.

I have never received a bill and had no knowledge they had taken me to court in July 2011, this was the first I'd heard of it.

The problem I had 3 years agois I wasn't getting my mail as a numbering error meant two units had the same number and my mail wasn't passed on.

My thoughts are that I should ony pay whats owed and not the bailiff fee, Ive got a copy of the planning application which shows the correct numbering of the units and photographed the exterior of the two units which shows that the other unit displays my unit number,so I'm in the process of appealing

What should I do about the court order? can it be removed easily?

thanks

The court can reopen a liability hearing and cancel the court order in exceptional circumstances, such as a miscarriage of justice. As the notices and summons was improperly served then you have a good case.

I'm not sure how you would go about it, probably best to either visit the local magistrates court or phone the senior justices' clerk/executive officer.

Try to pay as much as you can of whats owed directly to the council now, if you can.

Good luck.