Problem with Hotpoint dishwasher

sdmilne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In July of last year, I purchased a Hotpoint dishwasher. Everything seemed fine with it until just before Christmas, a section at the bottom of the cutlery tray began to fray away, gradually getting worse until it got to the point where cutlery can no longer be placed in it without falling through into the bottom of the washer.

As the dishwasher has a sticker on it saying "Free 5 year parts guarantee", I called Hotpoint to ask for a replacement. They tell me though that they cannot replace that as it is not a mechanical part and if I want a new one I need to pay.

I phoned the government's consumer line and as far as they are concerned, this part should certainly be replaced for free in line with the sale of goods act and I should go to Currys themselves to arrange a free replacement.

Currys (who I have a 1 year guarantee with callout with) were also unwilling to be of help, saying that as 6 months have passed since purchase, I am entitled to a repair at best, not a free replacement for the faulty part. They say the cutlery tray is classed as a consumable and the sale of goods act in no way entitles me to a free replacement. They also generally had the attitude that it was not their decision to make anyway and they can only go by what Hotpoint have to say.

To my mind, the cutlery tray cannot be classed as a consumable as without it, the dishwasher cannot properly function. In its current state I cannot wash my cutlery in the way that is intended. And even if it was deemed to be a part with a limited shelf life, it seems completely unreasonable for it wear away like it has in such a short time frame.

Any help as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Currys and PcWorld are the biggest slope shoulder companies on this planet.

This is to do with Currys and not Hotpoint, but then again, where in the 5 years parts and labour does it say that part isn't replaceable.

Don't do any telephoning, letters only so you have a paper trail. As the dishwasher is only 7 months old, I would keep on to both at the same time, write to Hotpoint and ask where and when they told you this part wasn't covered and demand from Currys restitution for a part that is not of satisfactory quality under SOGA 1974 (as amended). Tell them both that if they don't send you a replacement part, you will take further action.

I take it this is the plastic cutlery holder ?

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is indeed the plastic cutlery holder. It's just not reasonable for this to erode in such a quick time. In fact you shouldn't really expect it happen at all.

Yeah, the tray in my last dishwasher lasted years as well. So, although they are calling the tray a consumable and saying the sale of goods act will back them up on this, this part cannot meet the legal definition of the term by its very nature?

One of the main things the consumer act says is that an item should last as long as a reasonable person expects it to last. I wouldn't expect it to last 7 months and neither would the company or they would have them on a rack for sale in the shop or they would have included a spare one.