help please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I drive a van for work which is in my ex partners name, she is the registered keeper.

however I suffered a puncture so I left it outside a local hotel, on the road.

In the last day or so I found out the owners of the hotel had rang the highway board who towed it away, without any notice to anyone!

Can they do this?

The company is owned by the government.

If they had caused any damage to the van do I have rights?

Also the tax is four months out of date.

I've emailed the police apologising and saying that I'd spent 1400 pounds on the van last year,

and working outside for the last few months has been difficult to earn enough to tax it, as it is the last on the list.

I want to foot the charges if any without my ex being penalised.

Please advise, apologies if in wrong forum.

Well, they will want the back tax ++ and new tax, the authorites can remove an untaxed vehicle from the public highway at any time and may in some events be able to crush it, what may happen is your ex could be asked to name the driver.

I'm afraid the ''excuse'' of not being able to afford the tax wont be acceptable.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

urm.. you might well have insurance issues too if they find out.

and i hope its business insurance too

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

An unbelievable post to be honest. What exactly is the advice you are expecting? You are driving around in a van of which it's tax is 4 months out of date?

Question begs; were you insured? If not on both counts the Rk is responsible under the circumstances as well as the driver (if they are stopped).

Good move by the hotel I say. It probably won't be the highways who have towed it, more likely a contractor acting on behalf of the DVLA. And yes, they can do this.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

• 1 month later...

ok, the vehicle is taxed now, and i have valid insurance and a valid driving licence..

I was visited bt the police Sunday 27th January at my home, and he issued me with a producer.. to cover the 25th.

On the 25th the van was towed away it wasn't even on the road, i hadn't driven the van since the 22nd, i moved it 100 yards down the road that day due to a wing mirror being stolen,and i thought it would be safer within view etc. however, i was not stopped driving the van, and im not the registered keeper of the van which begs the question why was i issued with the producer in the first place. and, they have my surname wrong. I am getting up to ten calls a day off the constable which is in my view, unnaceptable.. any views or help on this?

you drove an untaxed vehicle and left it on the road untaxed, it was towed on 25th yes well thats hardly a serprise is it?, you had been driving it, the registered keeper isnt keeping it? but you were the named driver? and you seriously cant see what you have done wrong? to stop the calls produce your details at the police station, cant afford the tax is a total non starter and I for the life of me cant see your problem. you say you want to pay without your ex being penalised, did she know it was being driven untaxed, also if you couldnt afford the tax (but now you can) saying you want to foot the charges seems a little strange.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

You haven't produced your documents and that is why you are being chased. Why don't you take them to the police station? Was your insurance valid on that vehicle on the day it was towed away?

You can't backdate tax for four months, so you will still be liable for that and may get taken to court for it. If you couldn't afford to tax it you should have parked it off the road and done a SORN for it.