Do I have to tell them my personal details?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

I've got a pretty common name, and have been hounded for years by a debt that seems to follow me around that has nothing to do with me.

Now, I've sent the DCAs dispute letters over the years, and they go away, and then they come back

- seems the debt just gets sold from one DCA to another time after time

(yes... even when in dispute it seems... anyway; not to worry about that for now!)

My question on this thread is,

I sent them another dispute letter - and they've come back asking for my name, address and date of birth

so they can comply with Data Protection 1998 and provide me with further information.

I just went back saying

"I am not and have never been a customer of yours, have not entered in to any agreements with you nor the alleged creditors you claim to represent -

so I shall not be submitting my personal details to you.

It is quite clear to me, since you are contacting an incorrect third party, that true adherence to the DPA 1998 is not something your company really values".

And proceeded to tell them to remove all personal details they have about me (they seem to have my address, mobile number and name at least)

- or else (the usual Trading Standards, OFT, ICO threats etc...)..

My question is... what next?

I guess we're at a stalemate?

Presumably they'll keep hounding me and demanding my personal details...

the reason I contacted them this time is they threatened a potential home visit

- and I'll know I'd end up punching someone if they turned up :-x

Do I have to give them my personal details to enable them to try to 'prove' I am the debtor?

As I say, I have a common name - hundreds of 'me' just in the south of the UK if you look at linkedin... what do I do?

What can THEY do?

Since I know it's been following me around for well over 6 years, it's bound to be a statue barred item;

but I don't want to give them my personal details so they can send me the 'information' for me to prove that..

. and I'm not going to chance a statute barred letter at them as that may infer to them I know more about the alleged debt than they've disclosed to me :???:

All this for a 'debt' less than £300 *sigh*

Any advice or guidance gratefully received :roll:

IMHO

your issue here is you have continually entered into letter tennis

with the next chancer

time to ignore them.

each time you reply

they think a mug awaits a wee bit more spoofing.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

IMHO

your issue here is you have continually entered into letter tennis

with the next chancer

time to ignore them.

each time you reply

they think a mug awaits a wee bit more spoofing.

dx

:biggrin: Yes; think you're quite right tbh! yes... I really should've ignored them again.. it was just the fact that all of a sudden they seemed to get my mobile number, and then the home visit threat... they peed me off and I bit... silly really; I know as well as you they'd never pay for someone to visit a speculative individual for a debt

I think I'll just ignore them totally from now on :noidea:

They could possibly be in breach of the Fourth Principle of the Data Protection Act; http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/information_standards/principle_4.aspx

A complaint to the ICO wouldn't be amiss https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx