privateryan

Do I have to tell them my personal details?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2473 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all!

I've got a pretty common name, and have been hounded for years by a debt that seems to follow me around that has nothing to do with me.

Now, I've sent the DCAs dispute letters over the years, and they go away, and then they come back

- seems the debt just gets sold from one DCA to another time after time

(yes... even when in dispute it seems... anyway; not to worry about that for now!)

My question on this thread is,

I sent them another dispute letter - and they've come back asking for my name, address and date of birth

so they can comply with Data Protection 1998 and provide me with further information.

I just went back saying

"I am not and have never been a customer of yours, have not entered in to any agreements with you nor the alleged creditors you claim to represent -

so I shall not be submitting my personal details to you.

It is quite clear to me, since you are contacting an incorrect third party, that true adherence to the DPA 1998 is not something your company really values".

And proceeded to tell them to remove all personal details they have about me (they seem to have my address, mobile number and name at least)

- or else (the usual Trading Standards, OFT, ICO threats etc...)..

My question is... what next?

I guess we're at a stalemate?

Presumably they'll keep hounding me and demanding my personal details...

the reason I contacted them this time is they threatened a potential home visit

- and I'll know I'd end up punching someone if they turned up :-x

Do I have to give them my personal details to enable them to try to 'prove' I am the debtor?

As I say, I have a common name - hundreds of 'me' just in the south of the UK if you look at linkedin... what do I do?

What can THEY do?

Since I know it's been following me around for well over 6 years, it's bound to be a statue barred item;

but I don't want to give them my personal details so they can send me the 'information' for me to prove that..

. and I'm not going to chance a statute barred letter at them as that may infer to them I know more about the alleged debt than they've disclosed to me :???:

All this for a 'debt' less than £300 *sigh*

Any advice or guidance gratefully received :roll:

IMHO

your issue here is you have continually entered into letter tennis

with the next chancer

time to ignore them.

each time you reply

they think a mug awaits a wee bit more spoofing.

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

IMHO

your issue here is you have continually entered into letter tennis

with the next chancer

time to ignore them.

each time you reply

they think a mug awaits a wee bit more spoofing.

dx

:biggrin: Yes; think you're quite right tbh! yes... I really should've ignored them again.. it was just the fact that all of a sudden they seemed to get my mobile number, and then the home visit threat... they peed me off and I bit... silly really; I know as well as you they'd never pay for someone to visit a speculative individual for a debt

I think I'll just ignore them totally from now on :noidea:

They could possibly be in breach of the Fourth Principle of the Data Protection Act; http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/information_standards/principle_4.aspx

A complaint to the ICO wouldn't be amiss https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT