"BUDGET" People insurance cock up

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick story.

One month ago I had a car accident, just a few days after taking out new insurance.

Condition of insurance is that there is a thatcham cat 1 alarm system fitted.

There is such an alarm firtted, copy of certificate sent off.

Letter arrives today, they have cancelled the insurance because there is not an alarm fitted.

I ring up to find out why.

There is nothing on the certificate saying that its category one, and the alarm model isnt listed with thatcham.

I have rung cobra (maker of said alarm) it is listed, there is even a thatcham number for it.

Thatcham says that it isnt.

It turns out that the alarm comes under 2 names, and on the book it gives it under both.

I gave my insurance company the number for cobra.

This has taken about 5 hours on the phone.

OK, I get home, and take a closer look at my documents (had no access to them at work) and indeed the alarm is a thatcham one.

So, I ring up the insurance.

They have now agreed this is a thatcham alarm.

As the policy has now been cancelled, it cannot be reinstated, I have to take out a new policy.

The quote was now £150 more than it was before, because now I am showing an accident.

I told them that there was no way I was paying that as it was a cock up from them. They agreed to stick to the old quote, so now I am insured again.

Now, this is the big problem.

The policy has a claim, therefore no refund is due to the old policy. This leaves me £400 out of pocket!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:-x

So, I cant get any further with the phone line, they wont pass me on to anybody else.

They cock up, I am £400 out of pocket.

I really dont need this!!!!!!!!

The car has to have cat 1 as a condition of the insurance.

I provided that evedence.

They cocked up big time, couldnt read the certificate properly, thought it wasnt valid.

They cancel policy.

I dont get refund of rest of money because of claim a few weeks ago.

So, I have had one month of cover for £400, as I have to take out a new policy!

sounds like a letter to the ombudsman to me

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

i don't think this is right at all - I reside in Peterborough and Budget's Head Office is about a 5 minute drive away. To be honest Budget does not have a good reputation when it comes to insurance and indeed as an employer. They are alway's loosing staff and have regular recruitment drives. I have spoken to several friends who used to work for the company and they have quoted how bad they really are! If I were you I would phone them again and tell them you want to make a complaint and that you will be escalating the matter to the Ombudsman. Your complaint should be acknowledged and dealt with within 5 days. If they can't deal with it within 5 days they ultimately have 8 weeks to deal with it. Once you receive a final response on behalf of the Chief Executive you can take it further to the FOS if you are still unhappy.

sounds like a letter to the ombudsman to me
Ditto.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Insurance companies have only recently come under the umbrella of the FSA, so they're all a bit nervous about it. I reckon if you make a big enough fuss to the various regulators you'll be able to get it sorted.

I have to say, that if this were me, I would have them straight up to the small claims court for £400 - very safe in the knowledge that they'll settle straight away. One tactic I've used very successfully on many occassions is to send tham and LBA with completed copy of the court documents included. Tell them that you'll be submitting it on a specific date if they don't cough up. Big companies often rely on the fact that many people threaten to sue them, but then don't. The fact that you'll be including the completed claim forms means that they'll know that all you have to do is send them to the court. Just a suggestion. :)

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Well after that guess what I got in the mail this morning? A letter from Budget. Having cancelled my insurance with them verbally and in writing when my car 'died' two months ago and having cancelled the direct debit with the bank advising Budget of what I'd done and getting confirmation from the bank that this (cancellation) had been done, they're still chasing direct debits and me. I'm going to write to them and send an invoice for my costs to date in dealing with them. Is there a thread on this forum that deals with dodgy insurance companies ? Apart from Budget....

• 3 months later...

I have let this go for a while as I have had no time to deal with it, they promised to answer my complaint in 8 weeks, this passed long ago into the dim past. As if to remind me, I had a phone call from Budget recently offering me breakdown cover, which I did not accept. I need international cover; they could not even give me a price for this cover, so I emphatically refused it, as it did not cover my needs, and I wouldn't give them another penny in any case them being so utterly crap. Today I received a letter from them complaining that they could not take a payment, when I rang up it was concerning RAC cover that I had not asked for. To top it all they have said they are going to cancel my policy because I have not paid for cover I did not want or ask for!!!

ARGHHHH!!!

Personally, if this is any help, I dont think it will get as far as the FSA. The FSA, as soon as they get your papers will forward them on to the insurer, advising they have so many days to issue you with a final notification letter (This is a letter stating this is our final stance on the issue).

They are so plainly in the wrong, that SURELY someone with an understanding of insurance, or even an ounce of common sense, will see that they cannot hide behind the argument "The computer wont let me do that" and pay up....

Good Luck!

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well.

Updated story.

My complaint went in months ago, they are allowed 8 weeks to reply to it.

After 11 weeks had passed, I sent in a complaint to the FSA.

More trouble.

I was offered RAC cover, which I declined.

Lo and behold! A letter advising me that unless I paid £60 quid extra, I would have my poicy stopped once again.

Why the extra money, as I had paid the premium in full up front?

Some fool had put down I had accepted the offer of RAC, and now I had been covered, I was to pay for it.

I point blank refused the cover. It did not cover my needs as I at times drive abroad, the cover did not include this. Besides Budget are fools, why would I get tied up with them any more than I am already?

Now they would not believe me, they had to listen to the recorded phone call.

Yesterday I had a call.... yes, I had refused the cover, oh how sorry we are.

And also, more good news, a credit of 11 months of insurance shows up in my account.

So, another claim bites the dust. What a pain it has been!

They seem to be very keen to end policies early.

I wonder why.

A litigant to breed from, that's what you are my friend. :D

Just to let other Budget sufferers out there know - there is light at the end of the tunnel if you just keep at it : After seven months of hassle I have finally got the answer I wanted.

Budget really cocked up my insurance - they accepted my no claims then they didn't, then they did, then they changed their minds and so on. I ended up with no less than eight policy documents all different with all different amounts. Call centre staff said one thing then in the post arrived something totally different. In desperation in one telephone call with Budget I said I had a good mind to cancel my policy. The response? Go ahead and see if we care. As it happened my car 'died' and I was forced to cancel my policy - Budget being unable to place a hold on my insurance until I found a replacement vehicle. Call centre staff accepted my cancellation over the 'phone and said I owed nothing. Then I got a bill for cancellation fees and recently threats of court action. I wrote to Budget saying I would only deal in writing and explaining my case and what did they do? Telephone me and then write asking me to telephone them. In desperation I wrote back at the beginning of January with my invoice for charges relating to my costs in dealing with their inefficiency. The result? An apologetic letter today saying that they can't consider my invoice but they have deleted all monies they have showing on the account. I haven't made any money but it's one less to worry about.

• 1 year later...

i insured with budget they cocked up instalment plan so ended up paying full amount they wouldent accept no claims proof i resent same docs they then accepted them

the policy ended last month i told them not to renew

they renewed any way and are now demanding £123.00 for cancalling insurance i had allready renewed elseware the policy had only run for 4 days when returned it to them the letter is threatening dca or court action

they are oviously morons