Chip & Pin Authorisation

Loobi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When you purchase an item via chip & pin is authorisation sought immediately? I have been told today that on occasion the retailer can process the payment without authorisation.

Is this the case? I'd appreciate any advice on this, thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Most retailers today will sought authorisation from their payment processor, however some larger retailers can authorise some smaller payments without contacting the payment processor. These retailers will have a floor limit for these transactions, which is usually £50, but not always. Some retailers will only do this if the technology that is used to gain standard authorisation isn't working as it should. There isn't really any way of knowing what individual retailers do though, as it's not something that they would publicly talk about.

I wonder why the OP is asking the question in the 1st place !

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Seems to want to avoid/delay the authorisation check. Perhaps the wages do not go in until Monday but wants to use the card today?

In years gone by, my car would get petrol in it knowing that it would be at least a day until the cheque was presented for payment and the wages would be in by then. Immoral, yes. Illegal, no (at least not then). And certainly not the way I live now...