Loobi

Chip & Pin Authorisation

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2479 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

When you purchase an item via chip & pin is authorisation sought immediately? I have been told today that on occasion the retailer can process the payment without authorisation.

Is this the case? I'd appreciate any advice on this, thanks in advance.

Most retailers today will sought authorisation from their payment processor, however some larger retailers can authorise some smaller payments without contacting the payment processor. These retailers will have a floor limit for these transactions, which is usually £50, but not always. Some retailers will only do this if the technology that is used to gain standard authorisation isn't working as it should. There isn't really any way of knowing what individual retailers do though, as it's not something that they would publicly talk about.

If you buy items on a plane it isnt immediate authorisation.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Seems to want to avoid/delay the authorisation check. Perhaps the wages do not go in until Monday but wants to use the card today?

In years gone by, my car would get petrol in it knowing that it would be at least a day until the cheque was presented for payment and the wages would be in by then. Immoral, yes. Illegal, no (at least not then). And certainly not the way I live now...