• Tweets

• If we can establish that he is trading then you will be protected under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If we can't establish that then he would have to be treated as a private seller. I know that on Facebook you have been advised that you have very few rights – but this is not true. Apart from anything else, it's an offence to sell a vehicle which is not in roadworthy condition and it sounds to me as if your vehicle is not in roadworthy condition although we may will have to get an independent inspection. I understand that you had a mechanic give it a pre-MOT cheque. Was that before or after it was purchased? A few problems here – first of all, the van was very cheap. This doesn't reduce your rights anyway but what it does mean is that it may be less worthwhile taking an action that we will have to work that out later. Secondly, you bought the van from a dealer about 130 miles away. This means that if it has to be returned, there is a 130 mile trip to get it there and then you have to come back. Although it's a bit late for you, please follow the link to our used car guide and see what we say about protecting yourself when you buy used cars and in particular what's the little video towards the end of the thread. You won't feel good about it but you may as well learn something for the future and of course other people who visit this thread for that as well. Finally, if we end up having you bring a claim against him in the County Court, I have no doubt but that you will win but enforcement could be tricky. I think the first thing to do is to consult the land registry web search service and find out if he owns the property that is trading from. If he does then at least you have identified an asset and enforcement will be much easier. You can access the land registry website here Summary of freehI think it will cost you about 3 pounds.old - Search for land and property information SEARCH-PROPERTY-INFORMATION.SERVICE.GOV.UK I think it will cost you about £3 or so. Make sure you use the website link I have given you above. It is a government one. There are lots of private websites which look as if they are government and they charge you a lot more money for giving you exactly the same information.
    • Thank you for your help Yes for some reason it would not allow me to update that thread. I assumed it's been archive?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kwik Fit

kate.l.n
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had a new exhaust installed by kwik fit in May of last year.

They used the wrong clamps and did a terrible job.

I went back three times and had welding done but the exhaust was never truly fixed.

I then moved and visited a different quick fit and once again they did some more welding (after telling me what a terrible job had been done).

The problem was still not fixed.

I then wrote a letter of complaint which resulted in them re fitting a new exhaust.

However they could not get the old exhaust off due to the terrible job that had been done

and after forcefully removing it they then had to drill new holes into the main frame of my car.

However they did not have the correct drill bit and therefore I had to go back to have the bolts repeatedly tightened.

In addition to this the exhaust was still not working properly and I had to go back repeatedly as bits kept cracking.

I then phoned the area manager and he assured me that he would ask my local branch to fix it permanently.

I feel I should add that throughout this,

the staff were extremely rude and repeatedly lied to my face

– at one point even refusing to do any further work and stating that it was not there problem.

After turning me away I went to another mechanic and he assured me that it was under warranty and was a simple £4 part,

not the manifold as the kwik fit employee had stated.

So, by this stage I had been back at least 11 times and the problem was still not resolved.

A non kwik fit mechanic told me that the exhaust was not sitting right, due to poor installation,

and that was why parts kept cracking.

They also informed me that the repeatedly replaced parts are as cheap as they come and that is partly why they keep cracking.

In addition to this is my mot test at kwik fit which I recently had fail but only for the front suspension and the exhaust emissions.

I fixed the suspension and then took my car to another mechanic (not kwik fit as they didnt know how to fix it)

who fixed the exhaust issue and therefore said that they would pass the mot if I booked it in with them.

However, they then found a number of problems that were not only an mot failure

but that made it dangerous for me to continue driving my car.

This included a crack in my steering rack gaitor and my head lights not working due to a falty switch.

I am dumb struck by the lack of ability and knowledge that the kwik fit employees have and the amount of unnecessary time,

effort and stress that they have cost me.

With my repeated trips back to kwik fit and the additional petrol costs due to an inefficient exhaust,

the lies and rudeness of the staff, and the stress and time this mess has cost me i asked for a refund and i was told i would get one.

I then received a £25 voucher for kwik fit (doesnt even cover the MOT and i never want to use kwik fit again)

and a rude letter telling me that my case has now been resolved.

I have been repeated told by kiwk fit staff that this situation is appalling and yet they repeatedly laugh in my face.

I am at my wits end and am hoping that you can help me to get some compensation from what i believe is a terrible company!

Thank you. Kate

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having all these issues.

I've had a mixed review of fast fit centres in general.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your CV joins (Steering rack joints and seals) but it doesn't hurt to take it somewhere else and get it looked at. £50 job, tops.

Headlight switch can be replaced pretty easily too most of the time, so no worries there.

If they've cut, welded and drilled into your car, I'd be furious. The damage that can cause is unbelievable. Modifying the car in such a way leaves it open to rust, especially with winter coming up and I'd be sending a stern letter outlining this to the area manager. Absolutely useless...

Have you had your vehicle checked over by an independant mechanic?

Regards.

The damage that can cause is unbelievable. Modifying the car in such a way leaves it open to rust, especially with winter coming up and I'd be sending a stern letter outlining this to the area manager. Absolutely useless...

Regards.

And your an expert on this it seems. Sounds to me as though it has the wrong system on it.

And your an expert on this it seems. Sounds to me as though it has the wrong system on it.

Anything that exposes untreated metal to moisture (Which we're seeing a lot of recently) and damage to the factory applied underseal that cars come with from the factory will accelerate the rate of corrosion to that not even seen by BL in the late 70's.

It's damage that they should not have done.

Cars have not come with "underseal" for some 15 years plus now, they use an e coat dip system as are the subframes attached. If an exhaust system needs this amount of re work then it is either the wrong system or manufactured well outside of the dimensions specified. Further, despite your quote about BL in the 70's, actual steel used in body construction is quite resiliant to corrosion even without the e coat protection. I am though interested in your statement "that we are seeing a lot of recently".

The OP's system seems to be wrong. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the car is wrong compared to the spares listing, you just don't know the life.

Reaction such as yours does not help get to the root cause of the issue which then enables people to make a balanced judgement, such as your post about tyres. and then get the proper advice which in this case wouold be asking the question about age and mileage of car and known history. You cannot fix something that is fundamentally wrong from the start and this is not known.

Hi Kate,

We were concerned to read your comments about your experience with your exhaust and your experience with Kwik Fit on the whole.

If possible, we would like to discuss this further with you - please could you contact me at kwikfitwebcare at kwik-fit dot com

Kind regards,

Andy

KwikFit Customer Service team I'm so upset with you and the way you treat your customers. I've tried emailing, writing letters and phoning to be completely ignored! Not even a reply. I've sent evidence that did work to our car that was done wrong, not needed and took our money. I even have a statement from a mechanic from a well respected garage services who has stated you did the work wrong etc. I've sent all of this to you and yet I hear nothing. I also have a tread on this forum to which I was given advice but you ignored those letters also.

It's outrageous you can treat people like this! Why should I have to pay and go through the upset of all of this to get my hard earned money back when you took it from me for work that didn't need doing and was done wrong?!

I want a reply finally with a solution, don't push me in to taking legal action.

Kim Fairbanks

Thank you for the reply and for doing that, I really appreciate it. I really don't like 'kicking off' about things as I always think there must be a easier way to sort things out but I'm just beyond frustrated and upset. Once again thanks for taking the time to reply! :) x

I will try and get the reps attention again. I have sent messages but will keep on sending until something is done.

Would you be ok if the thread title was changed to better reflect the trouble you're having? It would make it easier for others with similar problems to find it too.

I sympathise with your frustration.

I took my car to Kwik fit for an MOT after having it serviced with pre mot checks at my local well respected garage who said it would pass. Kwik fit were doing a special offer for customers insured through them so I thought I might as well use it.

They failed my car because the indicator bulbs were not orange enough.

Fair enough - So I agreed for them to change the bulbs which came to something like £20.

Kwik fit managed to break one front headlight and headlight mount and one rear light cluster in the process and then bodged them back into place. It was only when all the bulbs blew a few days later that I discoverd thier handy work.

The repairs came to around £200 and Kwik Fit denied all knowledge.

I for one will never use them again and I tell everyone about this when I get the opportunity.

Thanks.

That's terrible! My frustration has also been made worse by the fact that we took our car for it's MOT Monday just gone and the only thing it failed on was some of the work Kwik Fit did that didn't need doing! So not only did they do work that didn't need doing they did it wrong meaning our car failed the MOT.

We were also really upset to learn that they charged us for VW parts but the garage who did our MOT told us the parts used were cheap parts not made by VW.

Honestly I'm so upset about it all, mainly because I just wanted to sort it out with them but 6 emails, 4 letters and 2 telephone calls later I've still had no response from them at all. I've been totally ignored and I don't understand how they get away with it especially when everyone is so tight for money. Me and my partner are getting married plus moving this month so the money they took off us we really need back.

I'm the same as you I tell everyone not to use them although most people seem to agree and have a story of their own!! It's scary how many people have had awful experiences. x

So a little update, we finally got a call to which the area manager for Kwik Fit tried to feed my other half some rubbish to which my other half replied we have evidence etc you did it wrong etc. The area manager said that the work was carried out fine to regulations which is totally wrong and the work wasn't needed anyway. He lied or the mechanics at the Poole branch lied about what we had agreed.

The manager then called customer services then rang us back and told us 'we believe we carried out the work to proper quality control procedure so if you want to go to small claims its up to you. Good luck'. Disgusting! So small claims it is. x

• 1 month later...

This weekend I have submitted a complaint about some work 'in progress' at Kwik Fit Erith branch and the price quoted.

I'm hoping to be able to report a swift response and a satisfactory outcome, would be good to be able to post some positive experiences with Kwik Fit after reading all those on here that are less than positive.

Short summary: quoted a price, accepted the quote, part ordered and arrived same day, car dismantled, wrong part, can't get correct pattern part, can get expensive option from Audi and car is now in pieces, can't be put back, illegal to drive as is so stuck with the increased price.

Iain.

Let us know how you get on Iain, I had a tyre replaced by them yesterday, price quoted £74 they gave me a discount of £24 so cost £50 I had no complaints.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert