Tax Credit letter from Compliance Officer

sophie39
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, new here and a bit scared to be honest.

I received a letter from HMRC a few days ago regarding CTC.

It asked me to contact them with actual income figures for 2011/12 ....I underestimated by £6000.I always put down an estimate on the forms. My husbands basic salary is £23000 but he does do overtime, this is where the £6000 has come from. We never know one month to the next if he is going to get overtime, sometimes he gets a good run other times he gets nothing.

I called them yesterday and gave them the correct figures, they said they will amend the award, she was very pleasant, and put me at ease right away.

BUT, there are underestimations for prior years, this is my biggest worry.

In fact I am extremely worried about this.

So I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

Will they definitely delve further?

Will we go to prison? What are the chances?

I know we will have to repay but how much will we have to pay?

I feel sick to be honest. I can't think of anything else at the minute, I know it's our own fault, only have ourselves to blame for this!

You won't go to prison. I'm repaying an overpayment at the moment - they calculated it, sent me a letter asking me to contact them and we agreed an affordable repayment plan on the phone.

Thanks for your reply.

I hope you don't mind me asking, how much were you overpaid by?

It was about £800 if memory serves me correctly but my ex husband was joint and severally liable for the debt so he is repaying 50% and I'm repaying the other 50%

Ours for 2011/12 is £6000. I'm not going to worry about it anymore, what will be will be.

They will say it needs to be repaid within a reasonable amount of time. I'm a single mum on full benefits but I explained this to them when discussing the repayment plan and the lady was very helpful

We get no benefits so I've got a feeling this is going to hit us really hard, but like I said, only got ourselves to blame for not informing them of my husbands overtime.

They wont leave you out of pocket. Theyre not allowed to by law. They can only make you repay what you can afford. Even if it takes a year or more to pay off.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D