contesting a job seekers agreement

oblivious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3800 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I guess you are to want of a better phrase nystagmite one of the lucky ones, who actually have an advisor who is reasonable and understands the job market. This advisor told me as she put up a list of jobs I could apply for in the 90 min travelling time there are loads there for you. What she failed to do was actually look at these jobs and filter them down to my suitabilty. All were retails jobs that I have no experience or qualifications in. So how many of these jobs would then be filtered down to wanting no experience, that were enough hours to pay rent ect. I live in the North west where it is known for high levels of poverty and less job availabilty. My guess would be probably a dozen. one weeks of job search done. Not to mention the fact that I am over qualified for them and they would prefer younger than I so they can pay less wages, as my experience at an interview for pets at home. I was oldest interviewee there.

Hello another update. I have had a phoncall from the manager of the job centre regarding the letter sent by my MP. I have an appointment on Monday to discuss the issues I have raised. I will hopefully then get my issues resolved to my satisfaction. Will update after the meeting on Monday.

• 5 months later...

All that has been written down by the Jobcentre is a nonsense. The whole thing is governed by LAW - Regulation 18 of the JSA. They may not like it but THEY have to obey it.

So far as I am aware this still says you need to take Two steps per week. The law does not define what these are, nor does it stipulate any time periods.

• 9 months later...

Recently done a Rapid-Reclaim. They changed my agreement to this:

~Write to at least 20 employers a week

~Phone at least 10 employers a week

~Visit at least 5 employers a week

~Check Uni-Jobmatch 14 times a week

This totals 49 actions per week!!!

My old agreement was:

~Write to 13 employers a week.

NOW I HAVE TO DO 49 ACTIONS A WEEK!!! I can easily do 5 hours job search a day, because some application forms take 2 hours to complete.

Who is funding the telephone calls and stationary /postage, to all these potential employers ? as if only paid £71.00 per week or less there is no way it would be me funding it , after all the amount paid is what the law says i need to live off , a whopping £10 per day, It's not enough to properly live off, maybe enough to buy food, but not enough to replace clothing as it wears out , or pay utility bills

My agreement is a sanction agreement!...

I know one day I'll be sanctioned, it's the way the system is. I'll be sanctioned for not phoning an employer or something, even though I'll have applied for 20+ jobs that week.

I slated Ingeus & the Work Programme, but at least I could claim travel costs for interviews and make phone calls etc.

Who is funding the telephone calls and stationary /postage, to all these potential employers ? as if only paid £71.00 per week or less there is no way it would be me funding it , after all the amount paid is what the law says i need to live off , a whopping £10 per day, It's not enough to properly live off, maybe enough to buy food, but not enough to replace clothing as it wears out , or pay utility bills

If your with Ingeus you can use their phone and stationary anytime you like, trouble is with me it costs me almost a fiver just to get to ingeus! :sad:

Both my husband and i were told, to ring as many employee's a day in the hunt to find work. who's going to pay my phone bill? not them that's for sure!

Thank God I'm self-employed full-time now running my own business but three weeks ago when I attended the Job Centre before sign off, my JSAg was amended to undertaking 35 hours per week on job search activity ......... God Bless IDS and David Cameron .....

I have a honours degree and my Masters ..... fully qualified, credential and a proven work history spanning 43 yrs -- I was given NO special treatment. If you've been on JSA for more than six months, you are obliged to apply and accept any job you are capable of doing, regardless of whether you want it or not, regardless of whether it's minimum wage or not, and the fact that it may be boring or menial and not what you aspire to - is neither here nor there. Benefits aren't there to "support" you whilst you strive to attain your dream job in your chosen field...... tough eh? But true. And, as for your outstanding student loan ...... it's only payable once your salary exceeds a certain amount, so that's irrelevant for now.

When you're unemployed and claiming benefits, you're nothing special just because you have a degree .... you're in exactly the same boat as those people who are unemployable, illiterate - those suffering from mental illness, learning difficulties, physical difficulties who have been deemed "fit to work" and who clearly aren't, those who have worked most of their adult life but find themselves temporarily out of work ....

In fact, if you have a degree, you should possess the transferable skills needed to find yourself a job - any job - in order to escape the indignity of claiming JSA.

I learned very early on that being precious just because you have a degree is just a waste of valuable time. The JobCentre isn't set up to deal with graduate recruitment ..... you either have to do it yourself or just toe the line!

Bleating to all and sundry won't help!

Rant over! :-) I have work to do .....

Imp :-)

The JobCentre isn't set up to deal with graduate recruitment ..... you either have to do it yourself or just toe the line!

But universities are !

My local uni has a dedicated team that provide support and guidance for all students, past, present, and not just for their graduates - I got involved with their program even although I had never studied there.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

But universities are !

My local uni has a dedicated team that provide support and guidance for all students, past, present, and not just for their graduates - I got involved with their program even although I had never studied there.

Exactly Mr. P :-)

If some people were to spend as much time actively searching for a job, instead of wasting time bleating about it - they wouldn't need to claim JSA

Imp

If some people were to spend as much time actively searching for a job, instead of wasting time bleating about it - they wouldn't need to claim JSA

Enough with this abuse!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Some will have the drive and support to go self employed and make their fortune (many will struggle just to pay the rent). Some will spend all their time applying for jobs all over the country and are willing to up sticks and move. Most will trawl the local jobs market applying for everything & anything in the hope of getting the most basic of wages. A lot of people will have "barriers to work" - This might be qualifications (either lack of or too many), no experience or too old, the wrong sex or hair colour (if any), or.... There simply isn't enough jobs to go round.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

There simply isn't enough jobs to go round.

That's the biggest factor. This is an age of cut-backs and running a business with the minimum of everything - especially staff. Difficult for the young 'uns to appreciate but for those of us in our 40's, 50's and older who can remember full - or almost full - employment, with 'one job, one person' it's a whole new ball game.

Aren't things supposed to get better with time??? Apparently not.

Enough with this abuse!

If you read my post carefully, you'll see that it's not abuse ... it's about people who think that just because they have a degree they think they can get special treatment .... My degree wasn't a passport to a job, I still had to jump through all the hoops that everyone else looking for a job had to. In the end, I had to create my own job.

Some will have the drive and support to go self employed and make their fortune (many will struggle just to pay the rent). Some will spend all their time applying for jobs all over the country and are willing to up sticks and move. Most will trawl the local jobs market applying for everything & anything in the hope of getting the most basic of wages. A lot of people will have "barriers to work" - This might be qualifications (either lack of or too many), no experience or too old, the wrong sex or hair colour (if any), or.... There simply isn't enough jobs to go round.

I totally agree with you .... I've "created" my own job -- I currently work for about 80 hours/week and I have to pay myself a weekly wage equivalent to my old JSA payment to make my business work ... but I'd rather be working than having to jump through hoops at the Job Centre. I'm 60 in December - no-one would even give me an interview .... we all have to do what we have to do.

I spend 6 hours a day job searching, i think thats more than enough dont you???? :-x

My JSAg was to job search for 35 hours a week ........ It's crazy! I wasn't knocking people who are genuinely looking for work --- God, I know - I've been doing it every week for the last 10 months! My comments were directed at the Poster who believes that having a degree should give them special privileges and that they shouldn't be subjected to the same job search activities that everyone else have to do to qualify them to receive their JSA payments.

I think the moderators should close this post now .................

My JSAg was to job search for 35 hours a week ........ It's crazy! I wasn't knocking people who are genuinely looking for work --- God, I know - I've been doing it every week for the last 10 months! My comments were directed at the Poster who believes that having a degree should give them special privileges and that they shouldn't be subjected to the same job search activities that everyone else have to do to qualify them to receive their JSA payments.

Oh i agree with you, i went on a course once with some guy who had a degree he couldn't understand why he was there.

He thought he was so much better than us.......................In that case why haven't you got a job lol

Oh i agree with you, i went on a course once with some guy who had a degree he couldn't understand why he was there.

He thought he was so much better than us.......................In that case why haven't you got a job lol

True Charlotte :-) I have a degree and my Masters but I didn't expect any special favours - I just spouted big words at the Knob Centre and totally confused them I think they were glad to see the back of me when I become self-employed. :lol:

Imp

• 1 month later...