Went to shop to get change, returned to car unable to get change and got fined

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I parked my car in the city centre parking bay with a friend sat in the passenger seat, I across the road about 70ft away to a shop to ask them if they had change as I did not have any coins for the ticket machine.

whilst inside the shop my friend rang me and told me a warden had come to the car and she had told the warden I was inside the shop to get change.

I ran out of the shop thinking I was about to get a fine, as I approached the car the warden realised I was the owner and said something like "so you got the change for the ticket machine then?"

I said "The shop did not have any change and I will move my car, I'm sorry"

I got inside my car, started it and was in the process of reversing outside the parking bay and move the car, the warden took a picture of the waiting time sign and a picture of my car and said something like "too late, your getting a ticket in the post to your house"

I said "The shop did not have change and I am moving the car"

The warden said "too late thats not good enough"

Now I want to appeal the parking fine, as I have a witness in my car who can confirm I went to the shop to ask for change, I also have a witness inside the shop as well.

When I got back to the car the warden was already walking away to go somewhere else but stopped and started walking towards me when she saw I was running towards my car and opened the drivers door to move the car.

I explained I was unable to get change from the shop and was going to move my car, the warden out of spite as I was reversing out the parking bay took a picture of the parking sign and my car and said to me sarcastically "thats not good enough, i'll send the paperwork to your house"

So I moved my car and managed to park around the corner and went to a different shop where I was able to get change and a bought a parking ticket all within 5 mins of the incident, do I have good grounds to argue the parking fine since I parked elswhere within 5 mins of the incident and was able to get change

I want to appeal this because I know I am in the right, how can I put this down on paper please help?

private or council

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Any appeal based on the grounds you propose will fail. Going to get change is not an exemption. It is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure they have change before parking. There are several appeals to the adjudicator which have been refused on exactly this issue.

Enter Pay and Display in the search box here:

http://keycases.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/index.php#search

My friend to the warden that I had gone to a shop to get change to which the warden said o.k and started to walk away............when my friend range to say warden had come to the car i thought i had got a parking ticket and ran towards the car. the warden saw me coming and returned back to the car and asked me to get the ticket with the change.

i told her the shop had no change and i was moving the car and was sorry, i got into the car and started to reverse out the parking spot, the warden took picture of the parking sign and of my car and said "i'll send the ticket in the post"

within 10 mins i got change from another shop and parked around the corner...........so the wardens argument does not hold up........as i have a witness and also the parking ticket which i bought when i parked around the corner

Any appeal based on the grounds you propose will fail. Going to get change is not an exemption. It is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure they have change before parking. There are several appeals to the adjudicator which have been refused on exactly this issue.

Enter Pay and Display in the search box here:

http://keycases.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/index.php#search

Your friend told the CEO you were getting change so out of courtesy they waited for you to return and buy a ticket but instead you drove away so you got a ticket in the post, the fact you parked legally ten minutes later hasn't really got anything to do with the PCN you received as you admit you were parked and you admit you didn't purchase a ticket.

Without looking, as far as I know, you have 10 mins to put a ticket in your vehicle.

I'd be interested to see any evidence of this assertion. Without it you are giving the OP false hope.

If you had bothered to look at the adjudications in the the link in post #3, the lapsed times in 3 of the cases were 5-10 minutes, 3 minutes and 2 and a half minutes. All three appeals were refused

Edited by Michael Browne

I'd be interested to see any evidence of this assertion. Without it you are giving the OP false hope.

If you had bothered to look at the adjudications in the the link in post #3, the lapsed times in 3 of the cases were 5-10 minutes, 3 minutes and 2 and a half minutes. All three appeals were refused

I hardly think a passing comment is giving false hope [edit] - I think we're all giving giving mere opinions here. Some of which are more rounded and informed than others. I speak as a lowly law graduate with a little life experience and an ability to conduct myself with an amount of civility.

The appeals you mention are when no timeframe was outlined in the express terms of license by thr local authorities in question. My own local authority merely states 'reasonable'. But you can also take that as a throw away comment.

Edited by dx100uk
behave - dx

I think we're all giving giving mere opinions here. Some of which are more rounded and informed than others. .
Absolutely, but at least I have backed my opinion with some evidence. Yet when challenged for evidence that " you have 10 mins to put a ticket in your vehicle", that's quickly changed to "reasonable".

It's entirely the OP's choice as to whether he heeds either advice. After all it's not our money that's at stake.

You have time to walk to the nearest machine pay and walk back unless the machine is several hundred yards away I suspect 10 minutes is hardly 'reasonable' all of which is not relevant anyway as the OP wasn't in the process of buying a ticket they were in a shop.