is this a scam?

M_A_A_B
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, i wasnt really sure where to put this so mods please move it if it's in the wrong place!

Ok...about a month ago I had an invoice from a book club called Mango saying I owe them 99p for a book.....I have never signed up with this company and havent received a book...the first time I had any contact from them was this invoice! I tried phoning but both numbers given were automated services with no real people on them...I sent an email (which took them ages to reply to) and they said they would remove the charge if I send the book back using the prepay sticker they will be sending me....I have no book to send back! I've told them this and I havent had any response since.....

Then yesterday I had this email:

Dear Amy Stokes,

Thank you for applying to join World of Mystery and Thriller - your application is currently being processed.

If you have any queries about your application, please e-mail us at *****@***** or call us on 0870 165 0292, quoting reference number *********** and your full name and address.

sig_clubteam.gif

P.S.

Please note all applications are subject to our acceptance.

If there is a file attached to this email, it is an HTML version of the above text.

I have never heard of the company before and certainly didnt sign up with them...I checked out their website....although it doesnt say anywhere that they are affiliated with Mango...the website looks exactly the same and they are the same kind of company....

I'm not sure whether to email them back and I'm certainly not giving them my address....

Is this a [problem]?? Or has someone been using my details?? There is no way to get contact details from the website unless you sign up...which i dont want to do...not sure what I should do about it and I obviously dont want to be charged for more things I havent received, didnt ask for and dont want anyway!

Thanks, Amy

Halifax

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 30/1/2007

Prelim letter sent asking for total of 1571.52 - 15/3/2007

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

Offer letter received - £1495.13

Why don't you send an e-mail back stating that you have not applied for membership of their club and do not wish to. If they send anything to you you will treat them as "unsolicited goods" and they will have to collect them at their own expense. Keep hard copies of all e-mails and then you have them should you need proof.

I did this once with a company who kept sending me things I hadn't asked for & it worked.

Hope this helps

Sarah

For future reference, if anyone ever sends you an email saying that you owe them money it is almost certainly a [problem] - in fact you'll often find that the email address in the header isn't even yours!! (For instance if my email address was [email protected] - it isn't - the one in the email might be [email protected])

Clues to look out for:

"Dear Customer" - most genuine mails will address you by name.

You never applied for a - they're just trying to attract someone's attention.

You never bought a and therefore don't owe anything

Point at (NOT CLICK) links in the message (if you have Outlook 2003) and it tells you where it **actually** goes. If they're different, it's likely a [problem].

What to do

If you're suspicious, don't open, reply to, forward or click links in the mail. Print it out, and save it in a "Scams" folder... if it ever gets followed up (extremely unlikely) then Trading Standards will be able to help.

In this particular case

I would print out the emails they sent you, and your replies, and complain to Trading Standards, sending them a copy. If they send you any books, write to them and tell them they have seven days to collect the books and if they do not you will claim ownership of them as unsolicited goods. Then sell them.

If they demand money write to them under S.78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act (as amended) asking for a copy of the executed agreement under which you obtained credit with them, a statement of account, and any other relevant documentation. (any supply of goods or services for a price, prior to the supplier receiving the money, is a form of "Credit" as defined in the Act and MUST be regulated under the Act - which means that for it to be enforceable you must have signed an agreement with them which is recognised by the Act and they must have a licence to execute such agreements).

Hope this helps!

thanks everyone

Halifax

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 30/1/2007

Prelim letter sent asking for total of 1571.52 - 15/3/2007

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

Offer letter received - £1495.13

• 4 weeks later...

I received books from mango that I had`nt ordered 2 years ago, I was shocked to see that the books were of adult nature, I found a invoice in the parcel and phoned them, I told them I had not joined their club and to arrange collection which they did. I beleived that someone ordered them using my name and address as I also got a letter through the post from a dating agency.

Hiya

Can I just add my bit to this book thingy?

I entered my details for some freebies last month, this month I got some freebies: I got Quattro Titnium Razor, Cat Food, Lips Gloss, Face Cream Samples & a few more things (great)

BUT

(theres always a but aint they) I also so a BOOK, from the mystery & thriller club!!! now I dont join book clubs so I wouldnt have signed up for any book, the only thing I can say is be extra careful when signing up for freebie, coz this might happen to you.

anyway to return the book

My friend at the post office, has told me to put a little note in, saying you dont want to be a memeber,(or words to that affect) then tape it back up & hand it into the post office (free postage that way)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[problem] Emails

Watch out for this one if you sell on eBay

Paypal.con

when you first see it you think ohh Paypal, its the con on the end that nearly got me.....so double check ok.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck with Your Claim

Angi x

:) If I have been of any help, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the botton left corner. ;) Thanks

If you are sent goods unsolicited, then you have no obligation to either return it or pay for it. It becomes your property without fear of having to pay or entering into a contract.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Well its going back, I do have to say I like the title

Judge & Jury....mmmm got a nice ring to it...bit like Banks & Charges lol

Good Luck with Your Claim

Angi x

:) If I have been of any help, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the botton left corner. ;) Thanks