Question regarding claim for Carers allowance

cocoriver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK so I'm waiting to go to Tribunal for ESA income related, as DM did not revise the Nil points I got from ATOS, can I claim carers allowance for Disabled parent or should I wait till I've been to the Tribunal, Been considering it for some time as I already do the job but due to my own issues have never claimed for it ?

thanks for any advice

Thanks Nystagmite, Mum is getting worse and I spend part of every day with her, get her food, shopping etc, even though I have my own difficulties, and I don't live with her (she's just up the street from me) it's probable I will move in eventually, as there's no one else, considering all the changes coming up, I think I'll put in the paperwork now and see what happens.

Just wanted to make sure, A) that I am ok to as I'm getting the ESA, B) it will not impact on her too much, re her benefits, but I believe she will loose some, she is ok with that because as she gets worse she would have had to pay someone to come in anyway. It may as well be me than a stranger.

So do I claim for Carers Allowance first, then IS ? and do I have to tell ESA before or after I have started the claim etc.

thanks again

Phone up claim CA, they will put it into payment and do a recovary with ESA.

Then close your ESA and make an IS claim.

Or Close ESA claim day after last paid, keeps it neat, make claim to IS and CA on the same day they will pay you £71 IS if over 25 when processed, when CA is awarded you will get both.

Of course CA will be taken into account against IS but you will get the Carers Premium..

IS can be paid as soon as a claim for CA so dont worry about that.

You have stated you know your mum will lose her SDP.

But sorry if in capitals, YOUR MUM WILL GET SDP UNTILL YOUR CA GOES INTO PAYMENT,

so she only has to inform the DWP when this happens, and not from the date you make the claim.

It can take up to eight weeks to award CA but in that time you will get IS

• 2 weeks later...

Mikey just an update. Found out Mum does not get SDP. she has never claimed for that.

Have put in the claim now for CA, and had interview at JC for Income support, that claim is also now in, just waiting to see what happens next, hopefully it will all go over ok.

As for SDP as she is not claiming that, am I correct in thinking she will loose around 58.00 per week from her pension credit ?, they are all a bit vague on what she will loose.

If she isnt getting SDP then her benefit will not change if you claim CA for her.

But as she is on Pension Credit just check she isnt receiving the severe disability addition, this is the same as SDP for Pension Credit,

if she is then she will lose this.

If she isnt then her entitlement to Pension credit will not change. She will not lose any money.

Good luck with your claim to I.S

Hi Mikey, thanks for the fast reply. From her paperwork and calls she has made to confirm all this, she only gets, MRC, HRM, State Pension, and Guarenteed pension credit top up of 87.52

she was told she does not get SDP, and there was no mention of severe disability addition, however every time she calls to get a clear idea what she may loose, they are vague and say she may loose 58.00 per week, don't know from where this will be taken.

But we will find out in a few weeks, as all the claims are now in. thanks again for your kind help, best wishes

SDP is £58sih so they must be getting a it mixed up, if she doesnt receive it she cant lose it.

I cant for the life of me see how claiming CA will lose her any money but as you say you will find out.

take care and with I.S and C.A you will be able to get on caring for your mother with no worries :)

Thanks Mikey, yes the more I look into it, I'm thinking as she has never had SDP she should not lose any, which will take a lot of worry off me. Like she said to me, just want to sort it out and we can stop the worry and enjoy some good quality time together in the years she has left. I'm nearing 60 myself, job prospect not good, so it would be the endless ESA/JSA Merry go round, We would have had to get someone to be with her if I was in full time work, so it makes sense as she is entitled.

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome, again many thanks for your kind advice, enjoy the nice weather

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Good news all gone ahead so far smoothly, IS awarded, CA awarded, just waiting for confirmation by letter, first payment tomorrow. I cannot thank everyone here for their help and advice, it's such a relief for myself and my poor old Mum, we can now plan a little holiday by the sea, nice week away in a caravan is what she'd like, been years since she had a holiday.

Again many thanks for all your help, best of luck to all.

Update. Good news all gone ahead so far smoothly, IS awarded, CA awarded, just waiting for confirmation by letter, first payment tomorrow. I cannot thank everyone here for their help and advice, it's such a relief for myself and my poor old Mum, we can now plan a little holiday by the sea, nice week away in a caravan is what she'd like, been years since she had a holiday.

Again many thanks for all your help, best of luck to all.

SORRY, should read, I cannot thank everyone on here ENOUGH for all your help LOL