style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wouldn't be in a betting shop I don't think.

What kind of circumstances are you thinking of?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Well I'm not talking with any specific knowledge of the law, but, for example, if you haven't got your betting slip in by the start of a race they can't take the bet. You couldn't just say I'm putting my money on this horse.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Then I'd expect it to be paid at the odds when the race or whatever started. I believe that's the case if it's not at the ante-post price, and if that's not stated on the slip I wouldn't have thought they'd pay at a different rate.

Is this on the horses?

:llama:

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Verbal agreements, whether at a betting shop, or otherwise, are just as legally binding as a written contract.

The problem, in the absense of a witness, is proof.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

:playball:

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Verbal agreements, whether at a betting shop, or otherwise, are just as legally binding as a written contract.

The problem, in the absense of a witness, is proof.

That is interesting. I thought it was unfair, but hey as its under a tenner, and more important things to be thinking about I guess..

Tonycee is right CD!

I take it the other person didn't honour the bet?

Never mind - Karma will come around! You never know, they may have a win on the lottery then lose the ticket :madgrin:

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

Not that I'm a betting person myself, but finding out any correct information is good, so thanks Blondie and CD!

But back to your "Verbal bet" CD - even though it may not have any legal base to it, as far as I am concerned (the way I was raised and taught by my Dad) - a persons word should always be morally honoured!

People who "screw" other people over, in my humble opinion deserve the same, and more often than not - they usually do end up getting what goes around comes around :-)

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

Not that I'm a betting person myself, but finding out any correct information is good, so thanks Blondie and CD!

But back to your "Verbal bet" CD - even though it may not have any legal base to it, as far as I am concerned (the way I was raised and taught by my Dad) - a persons word should always be morally honoured!

People who "screw" other people over, in my humble opinion deserve the same, and more often than not - they usually do end up getting what goes around comes around :-)

Thank you for that. The issue was in the bookies and it may have been politic as well just to give me the nine quid which I felt I had won even though the odds were not on the slip, only that a win would happen which was shorter odds I was offered the win at the smaller odds. I declined the amount..

All football bets have fixed odds before the start of the game. ie. First Goalscorer (Suarez may be 6-1), or correct score after 90 minutes (Liverpool to beat Chelsea 4 goals to 1 may be 50-1). Even bets that are accepted during the game have a specific price at the time the bet is placed. So if it a large Bookmakers (Ladbrokes, William Hill and the likes), they can just check what time the bet was placed on the slip, and then match that up with the price at that time. A verbal agreement would need proof though (witness etc). However, as Assisted Blonde stated earlier, a Bookmaker is under no legal obligation to honour any bets whatsoever, no matter how much you may have won. They obviously do pay winning bets, as it would not be in their best interest not to pay.

As my Dad always said though......"You pays your money, you takes your chance".:wink:

And "You never see a Bookie riding a bike".:oops:

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Or "You'll never see a poor bookie".

So very true you guys! You never see a poor bookie - and the gambler never comes out on top for very long!

I still say though, morally - a bet's a bet!

Have any of you guys ever watched that show "golden balls"? Oh my goodness, I could not and would not ever sit and tell those very convincing lies, then double cross them and have no intention of every sharing!!!! :!:

Us human beings are a very cold and calculating species - well, not all of us, but a fair old majority I'd say!

Just a quick story about my Dad when I was a youngster!

He worked at the Leyland factory, was an ex Sailor - so loved playing poker! He and his workmates used to play in their breaks, lunch hour, and if it was quite when working nights.

There was one younger guy who clearly had a problem with gambling, and thought nothing of gambling his full pay packet (oh remember those?) before he went home to his wife and young family.

So this one day my Dad won a fair bit of money from him, and felt bad that the guy was worried about having to go home with no money - so my Dad gave him it back, and gave him a bit of advice to not ever gamble what he can't afford to lose.

The guy was "grateful", then went on to lose the lot again to someone else who let's just say - wasn't as "concerned" about the guy taking no money home!

A lesson learned for both of them I think! :-)

I am led to believe that the Gambling Act 2005 replaced legislation dating back as far as 1845 and governs nearly all forms of gambling.For the first time, betting shops and remote gambling sites based in the uk are governed by a dedicated regulator, The Gambling Commission and bets are legally enforceable unless the law has since changed since the Act came into force..

Yes the Gambling Act does state that any debt gambling debt incurred after Sept 2007 is enforceable as long as it relates to lawful gambling, this is gambling under the Gambling Act 2007 The National Lottery Act or the financial services Act, but none of these will cover a verbal agreement as they would not fall under the conditions that are set down for the placing of bets or the laws on betting premsies.

So I was wrong just to state that gambling debts are unenforceable per say I should have clarified what i was saying

Sorry :-(

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.