Car went into my stationery bike, driver did a runner. We have Reg Number BUT

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

despite the fact there were two witnesses plus me, police have written to say they can not locate driver. I was stationery at a roundabout on my motorcycle waiting for on-coming traffic, and she drove into me from behind, causing me a few back problems and a broken gear lever on the bike. We all got her reg number. The police have written saying they can't locate her and I'm left thinking - was it her husband's 4x4 and he has simply denied that the vehicle was being at the time! Is there anything else I can do? Is it worth me applying for her name and address from DVLA? What could I do about it? I am not rich so can't pursue a private prosecution.

PLEASE give blood. Please write a Will. No, NOW!

Contact a solicitor regarding claiming for damage to your motorcycle and back injuries.

Make sure you Google a firm and they can act on a No Win No Fee so you won't need to fund the claim yourself.

If you have the registration number then you can get her insurance details but running a MIDs search.

do you mean the motor insurance bureau MIB? yes, they will be able to provide the insurance details (if any) of the car involved. then make a claim against that insurer.

do you mean the motor insurance bureau MIB? yes, they will be able to provide the insurance details (if any) of the car involved. then make a claim against that insurer.

Sorry that was a typo I meant MIDIS.

If the vehicle is registered in her husbands name, DVLA will not be able to provide you with any details.

I find it hard to believe that Police cannot locate her? How long have they been looking. There is a form that they can serve on the R/K of the vehicle which demands they tell Police who was driving at date and time of offence, if they do not comply, they commit an offence - do you know if they have served this form? I cannot remember the name unfortunately, but I know the Police find it a handy form for finding out who was driving at time of offences etc. Remember, the onus for speeding fines etc, is on the R/K telling Police who was driving at time and date etc etc.

Get them to confirm they have sent this!!!

Its an NTO; Notice To The Owner. I too find it hard to believe that the police cannot trace her. I would be talking to someone higher up the ladder at the local nick for an explanation. BTW the DVLA will release details to anyone with appropriate reason to request them. However, I think they charge around £2.50 for this.

Also, have you passed the details onto your insurers? They should be able to trace the TP's insurance company and submit a claim to them.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I see where your coming from Sailor Sam, but original post seems to think it is the husbands 4x4. The DVLA will only hold his details and not the females. If the Police speak to him, he has to provide the dets, but if he says he cant remember etc, or doesnt know, then the offence will be failing to disclose the info, but the Police will not be able to prosecute him for the accident, the witnesses all say a female, and so the only information gained from DVLA will be the R/K info, if it is a male, it will not help the prosecution for the accident.

Well OK so she may escape prosecution BUT the RK should get hit with a £1k fine for non-disclosure. In any event, i'm surprised that the OPs insurers arn't being more pro-active. They will establish the TP's insurers so should be dealing with the matter. That's what they are paid for. Also, I don't understand why they are telling the OP his NCB will be affected when surely the claim will be met entirely by the TP. The only thing the OP may be left with is his excess.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Click here to apply for the third party's insurance details if you really want to:

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

I would personally instruct a solicitor and let them do the leg work though...

Why? Unless the OP only has third party cover, he has insurance for that!!!

Please Note

For the uninsured losses?

A solicitor will only do what the OP can do himself. Write to the TP to ask for his excess and consequential losses to be paid and then if necessary, take the TP to court. The latter won't happen because at some stage, the TP's insurers will settle the OP's un-insured losses. Why pay a solicitor?

Please Note

A solicitor will only do what the OP can do himself. Write to the TP to ask for his excess and consequential losses to be paid and then if necessary, take the TP to court. The latter won't happen because at some stage, the TP's insurers will settle the OP's un-insured losses. Why pay a solicitor?

Please Note

The OP referred to a back injury and so could claim for the personal injury element. The OP said he wanted to claim but could not afford to fund it so I recommended instructing a solicitor on a 'no win no fee' agreement. Don't really see your issue TBH.

The OP referred to a back injury and so could claim for the personal injury element. The OP said he wanted to claim but could not afford to fund it so I recommended instructing a solicitor on a 'no win no fee' agreement. Don't really see your issue TBH.

Sorry, I missed that bit.

Please Note

Sorry, I missed that bit.

Please Note

No worries.

Because of the injury, you should employ a solicitor. You'll need written witness statements describing the vehicle and if possible a description of the driver. The DVLA will provide the owners details for a fee and a good reason for wanting the data. The solicitor will sort out medical appointments and reports to value the injury claim but the key here is going to be the witnesses and their statements. Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime and you should make a formal complaint to the police with the witness evidence. If the third party refuses to provide their insurance details, this too is an offence under the Road Traffic Act and the police should be taking it more seriously, particularly in light of your injury. I trust you have sought medical help for your back. This all mounts up against the TP. If they still continue to deny involvement, despite the witness evidence then court action will be your only course of action but your witness must be available to attend to give evidence.